Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 15: Sydney Swans Reserves v Redland Bombers @ Blacktown

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The Swans, despite playing the first quarter with only 2 available men on the bench due to resting McGlynn and Mills, shot out of the blocks and booted the first 6 goals of the game before Redland manage to sneak one in reply before the quarter time siren. The Bombers struggled to deal with the physical pressure of the Swans forcing them into turnovers from hurried kicks or handballs. The Swans hurt them hard on the turnover as exemplified by goals to defenders Newman and Aliir running from defence and finishing on the run.

With McGlynn injected into the game at the commencement of the second quarter it seemed things would get uglier for the Bombers but as the sky darkened and the temperature dropped a few more degrees the Swans struggled going forward, especially in the final third of the field. Redland battled hard and kicked 3 deserved goals of their own with small forward Luke Rogerson getting 2 of them.

Mills came into the match a few minutes into second half but it was the Bombers who hit the second half running full of vim and vigour and their excellent pressure managed to contain the Swans but couldn't reward themselves for their efforts as the majority of their forward 50 entries were impotent ones. The Swans dropped numbers back and around the contest to try and stem the flow but this came at a price - when going forward ourselves McLaren and the topups around him struggled against a spare man or two and the greater numbers usually won out. The Swans finally broke their state of torpor when a blind but fortunate tumble kick forward by Derickx bounced kindly for McLaren who tapped it to Heeney's advantage and the Swans number 5 made no mistake with his finish.

The ensuing centre bounce saw McGlynn emerge from the middle with a clear run to the 50m arc where he sent a low but accurate drop punt bouncing through the big sticks. Those 2 goals against the run of play dampened the Bombers' intensity and with a 44 point lead going into the last quarter it looked as though the Bombers had given it their best shot. Perris was taken off (managed time) for the last quarter and Derickx who looked troubled by an upper body injury throughout the third quarter finally pulled the plug himself a few minutes into the last. Hewett also came off some time during the quarter (although I didn't notice when and for what reason but he say on the bench with his tracksuit top on) and when Newman was hit hard on the head with a few minutes left the Swans were left with no fit players on the bench.

But it didn't impact the result at all as the Swans cruised home in total control kicking 4 goals to 2 in the last quarter and were never threatened.

Sydney Swans 6.1 9.3 12.8 16.9 (105)
    Redland Bombers 1.1 4.5 5.6 7.8 (50)

Swans Goals: Darcy Baron-Hay 3, Lachlan Behagg 2, Isaac Heeney 2, Sean McLaren 2, Jack Hiscox 2, Abe Davis 2, Aliir Aliir, Ben McGlynn, Nic Newman
    Swans Best: Nic Newman, Isaac Heeney, George Hewett, Dan Robinson, Sean McLaren, Abe Davis

Bombers Goals: Luke Rogerson 4, Sam Michael, Blake Grewar, Adrian Williams
    Bombers Best: Luke Rogerson, Hayden Bertoli-Simmonds, Josh Smith, Darcy Cameron-Reeves

Heeney was the comfortably the best Swan on the ground for me. He started the game as an inside midfielder and the one thing that stood out was how clean he was. Clean in his disposal (adept at using either foot), clean in picking up the loose ball, and strong hands when marking it. He also tackled effectively and always seemed to pick the right option without hesitation. Also wasn't afraid to step into a few mini-fracas to help out his teammates. When McGlynn came on in the 2nd quarter he shifted and played predominantly as a half-forward but also with stints in the midfield (probably an an indicator of his position in the seniors when he returns). McGlynn was all action, tried to barge his way through a few tackles, scrubbed a few of his kicks, and kicked that nice running long goal. He will need at least another week in the NEAFL as I think they will be very conservative with his injury history.

Newman used the ball well off the half back flank both by hand and foot and for long periods of the match played as the loose defender. He collected a heap of the ball due to a combination of Redland's poor kicking inside 50 as well as a lack of genuine tall forward targets for the Bombers. Hewett and Robinson both dominated the midfield, Hewett a little better in the clearances while Robinson was better in his run and carry when the Swans attacked from the back half.

Derickx did well in the taps but struggled with some of his general play. A lack of a footy brain leading to some poor decisions when he had the ball. He has a bit of a deer-in-the-headlights syndrome about him and that extra half a second he requires to dispose of the football makes him liable to turn the ball over. McLaren still struggling to come to terms as being the number 1 tall target forward. I like to see him be more aggressive and go looking for the football, but when he does get it he is generally a good (and unselfish) user. He shouldered the ruck load in the last quarter after Derickx's withdrawal and played well with his tackling and chasing a highlight for me. I believe he played most of this junior career as a backman so it's still very much a steep learning curve for him in the NEAFL.

Rose started the game well and along with Heeney, the two blondies found a lot of the ball on the wing or half forward area and proved quite the handful with their tricky evasive moves and deft handballs. He wasn't quite as prominent after that, got into a few scraps and generally would have been disappointed to go goalless for only the 2nd time in his 11 NEAFL games. Davis was used as a wingman again and proved useful as an outlet option on the wings where his height and leap provided a useful target. He also showed his wares forward at times, and outmuscled a Bomber defender one-on-one in an impressive display of strength, kicking the resulting set shot.

Richards was solid in defence but in reality only had a handful of contests to deal with. Aliir caused more than a few heart palpitations with some of his kicking out of defence (including kickins), due to many of his kicks having a little more airtime than was necessary and inviting Redland players to spoil the ball. But like Richards was often up against smaller and weaker opponents so wasn't tested in that regard. The Swans like using him as a rebounding defender often encouraging him in his forays out of the defensive 50.

Perris was used mainly as a half forward pushing hard up the ground. Didn't get his hands on it too many times but it's still early days in his comeback. Towers was used on the wing today but seemed to find more of the ball in the defensive half than his usual forward half. Took some a couple of nice marks through the middle of the ground and sparked a goal or two but not enough impact on the game. Hiscox also used in a similar manner to Towers but had greater scoreboard impact with two well taken goals - one was a fantastic left foot step to get around a lunging defender and the other where he used a combination of gut running and speed to create a clear cut opportunity 30m running into goal.

Mills looked nervous in a couple of contests (including one ambitious jump-gather and handball in one motion that failed), perhaps waiting on the bench for the entire first half built up the nerves. He started off a wing but as the Swans numbers tailed off in the last quarter he started centre bounces as well. He collected most of his possessions in the defensive half of the ground.

One of the co-coaches was always on the sidelines with the other (presumably) in the box. Crouch was on sideline duty for the 2nd quarter with Mattner doing the job for the other 3 quarters. Injured players Melican, Laidler and Rohan were there to support and offer advice during the breaks.
    Last edited by ugg; 19th July 2015 at 12:42 AM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks for your introduction and match report ugg - greatly appreciated. A bit of sunshine on a dark day.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

As always a great report Ugg - sounds like a pretty decent performance overall - and as dimelb said, some rays of hope on a dark day for the club.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Ugg, I like most have real concerns with our seemingly lack of key position talent coming through. Most sides have blooded the odd young tall (I'm not counting Nankervis in the ruck) the last few years but it appears glaring a omission on our part. Just even watching the Dees v lions now they both appear to have a couple of young talls at either end who show real promise and back themselves to take a mark overhead. I'd like your thoughts as an avid ressies watcher if you think any of ours show real promise or do we need to cut our losses and keep recruiting???

Veterans List
    Thanks Ugg, comprehensive and insightful as always, much appreciated.

In relation to the above from troyjones2525....

Unbelievable! "I like most?" Who are you? Speak for yourself and keep "the most" out of it. You're sure in heck not speaking for me. Not agreeing here.
    This is an opinion based forum. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want mine right now.
    Last edited by Buffalo; 19th July 2015 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
    In relation to the above from troyjones2525....

Unbelievable! "I like most." Who are you? Speak for yourself and keep the most out of it. You're sure in heck not speaking for me. Not agreeing here.
    This is an opinion based forum. Individuals and footy fanatics and all assorted voicing their individual "opinions."
    I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want mine right now.
    I don't know what you're upset about. He did say 'most' not 'all'. So he didn't say he was speaking for everyone. If you go through the threads I think you'll find that most do in fact have concerns about our defence, so it's a factually true statement.

If you're not concerned about our KPPs, I can understand that position as well. Just state your case. I'm sure it will be a good and I would be most interested in your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't know what you're upset about. He did say 'most' not 'all'. So he didn't say he was speaking for everyone. If you go through the threads I think you'll find that most do in fact have concerns about our defence, so it's a factually true statement.

If you're not concerned about our KPPs, I can understand that position as well. Just state your case. I'm sure it will be a good and I would be most interested in your thoughts.
    Okay. My thoughts. I trust in the Swans staff. I trust in the recruiters. Yeah, I'm one of those. I trust in the talent that got these boys where they are.
    I trust that they will be brought up to the best they can be. I trust they should be given that time. I trust that people on a fan forum of our team would support these "un-blooded" players. God, I hate the term "blooded." I trust that we give these players a chance without rushing them out the door. I trust that we as "supporters" actually support. You know, like in encourage and hope that OUR CLUB KNOWS WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING! And for the record, they've kind of proven that. Horse is amazing in his judgement and amazing in his keen eye for talent. If these boys are there, they're there for a reason. Let's try and show our support on a support forum, cause I actually believe our club knows what the hell they're doing. Shoot me.

Okay. My thoughts. I trust in the Swans staff. I trust in the recruiters. Yeah, I'm one of those. I trust in the talent that got these boys where they are.
    I trust that they will be brought up to the best they can be. I trust they should be given that time. I trust that people on a fan forum of our team would support these "un-blooded" players. God, I hate the term "blooded." I trust that we give these players a chance without rushing them out the door. I trust that we as "supporters" actually support. You know, like in encourage and hope that OUR CLUB KNOWS WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING! And for the record, they've kind of proven that. Horse is amazing in his judgement and amazing in his keen eye for talent. If these boys are there, they're there for a reason. Let's try and show our support on a support forum, cause I actually believe our club knows what the hell they're doing. Shoot me.
    +1

In Horse we trust!

That thumping last night has been brewing for a few weeks now, I was actually not that surprised.

The idea we need a rebuild is crazy but I do believe we need to freshen up the list.

Mills and Dunks added to Heeney will freshen up the list quite a bit and you'd hope that Hewett will also come on...

In terms of this year I think we need our very top 22 fit to have any chance come September - Heeney, Rohan and McGlynn will add a bit more starch but I fear we are gone this year

I also think we do a fine job in developing players at the proper rate to prepare them for senior footy. It's not a matter of support or trust. It's just evaluating the talent. We all know that most drafted players don't make it very far. It's a tough gig.

Just to use one example. I thought our recruiters did very well when we got Jordan Lockyer at pick 43 in the 2012 ND. He started well. I backed him all the way, but in the end he just wasn't good enough. I think our recruiters have done a great job, particularly in recent years. But it's still a bit of a lottery, especially when you get past the first round.

As for our KPPs not playing seniors, we have X Richards, Aliir, Davis, McLaren and Melican. That's 2 late ND picks and 3 rookies. Very few make it from those draft positions. If 2 have successful careers, I will applaud our recruiting staff for a superb job. Personally, I think Davis will make it, and if one of the other 4 can as well, I'll start clapping.

Senior Player
    I think Melican will too and I am hopeful of McLaren too but right ATM we are one injury away from having no recognised KP defenders.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Heeney's disposals breakdown by quarter: 11-8-5-5. 16 contested possessions
    Newman's disposals breakdown by quarter: 4-9-12-11. 14 contested possessions. 14 handball receives. Only one of Newman's 22 kicks was classed as ineffective. 6 were classed as long kicks.
    Robinson's disposals breakdown by quarter: 11-7-5-9. 12 contested possessions
    Mills 20 disposals in a half, 15 in the last quarter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast