Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 17 V West Coast

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Interesting time to be a Swans fan. That was the worst result I've witnessed since becoming a member in 1999, and I was almost inconsolable on the way home. However . . . this could be a watershed moment. I like the selection challenge of no Ted, no Kurt. Feels like the opportunity to roll the dice. And I reckon they'll come out pretty hot on Sunday, whoever's in the team, and whoever is coaching it. From where I was sitting (directly behind the Hawk's bench) two things stood out: we kept handballing to blokes under pressure, and we had no plan for coming out of the back half. I miss Malceski setting up at CHB to distribute to a runner going through the corridor, a free man on the boundary, or a one-on-one on the wing. We had nothing going, and I don't think it was just because the Hawks manned up well. The switches across the back line were so slow and predictable. Strangely, a few days on, I don't feel as gloomy as I did on Saturday night.
    Sorry OB I still feel very gloomy. We are playing with no heart, no desire, no skill, no noticeable tactics from our many coaches and no passion.

I don't know what has happened to the team from the one that played a great style of football in round 8 to beat the Hawkes. I know they are missing Benny and Gaz from that side and both of them are key forward players who will put pressure on the opposition defenders. I think that we have too many players that are badly out of form or carrying injuries - Lloyd, Smith, Cunningham, Shaw (been bad all year) , Richards, Reid (been bad all year), Pyke. Even Parker has been inconsistent this year and even though has gained lots of possessions has not been able to kick those important goals like he did last year.

Our coaching staff need to take a long hard look at themselves and after watching the Monday footy shows which blasted the Swans for their low scoring capability, turnovers when going forward and tactics, I think they have to pull the switch and play a more attacking style, stop having 18 man defense and leave some bloody forwards in our forward line, so when/if we do gain possession we have someone to kick to. Rather than see the ball come straight back over their heads.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    So it looks like we'll finish top 4 for the fourth consecutive season with a bunch of athletes who aren't footballers.

Comical.
    You are missing the point. If you enjoy being 'top four' but not going on to win premierships, that's fine. The point is we are good enough to reach the top four, but will never win the flag until we address certain issues that are obvious to all but the people who are charged with that responsibility, the coaches and recruiting staff. Gameplan flexibility, targeted and innovative training, and better recruiting is what will drag us out of this malaise we find ourselves in. It can be done, but equally, we could slip into obscurity, and as a life long Swans fan, that is something I don't want to return to. Alas, I find my optimism waning more each week.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Interesting time to be a Swans fan. That was the worst result I've witnessed since becoming a member in 1999, and I was almost inconsolable on the way home. However . . . this could be a watershed moment. I like the selection challenge of no Ted, no Kurt. Feels like the opportunity to roll the dice. And I reckon they'll come out pretty hot on Sunday, whoever's in the team, and whoever is coaching it. From where I was sitting (directly behind the Hawk's bench) two things stood out: we kept handballing to blokes under pressure, and we had no plan for coming out of the back half. I miss Malceski setting up at CHB to distribute to a runner going through the corridor, a free man on the boundary, or a one-on-one on the wing. We had nothing going, and I don't think it was just because the Hawks manned up well. The switches across the back line were so slow and predictable. Strangely, a few days on, I don't feel as gloomy as I did on Saturday night.
    I agree with you. It's good to be out of 'at least we got the 4 points' mode and get back to reality. I find being both a realist about where we are and an optimistic about the future quite compatible. I'd rather be a Swans fan than a Hawthorn fan at this time. For Hawthorn fans, you only have disappointment or 'ho-hum' to look forward to. You only have the possibility of that awful feeling and a 2 month depression if something goes wrong, like we experience last year.

As for this week's game, I'm fairly optimistic. We play well at Subiaco, so no fears on that account. Normally I wouldn't feel that good about getting Pyke back, but given the circumstances he will be important to at least give Nic Nat a bit of a challenge. We'll lose the ruck contests, but we don't want him to have a Goldstein day out. It looks like Laidler and Heeney will be the other inclusions. I doubt we will have any others, although it would be nice if we could take advantage of their lack of height defensively but hard to see Reid freeing up from defending Kennedy. It seems that they will go with Schofield and first gamer Barass as their tall defenders. Theoretically, Buddy should have a day out if we can get the ball to him often enough.

If we can put an effective tag on Gaff, it would be a big help. Sounds like a job for Cunningham, or even Lloyd.

Whatever the result, it probably won't matter too much for the final standings. I expect that we will finish 3rd if we win and 4th if we lose. If we can't come home with a wet sail and take out our final 6 games you wouldn't think we'd go very deep into the finals.

The injury list is looking a bit clearer. Finally the Groin Brothers (Naismith and Melican) are listed at 1 and 2 weeks, respectively. Thankfully Rohan is down to 1 week as well. Names not on the list were also pleasing, as Ugg mentioned that Hewett came off with what looked to be a possible injury, and Derickx seemingly can play on despite some shoulder problems, although he may not travel to Darwin since he's having problems lining up a date worthy of his celebrity status.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    You are missing the point. If you enjoy being 'top four' but not going on to win premierships, that's fine. The point is we are good enough to reach the top four, but will never win the flag until we address certain issues that are obvious to all but the people who are charged with that responsibility, the coaches and recruiting staff. Gameplan flexibility, targeted and innovative training, and better recruiting is what will drag us out of this malaise we find ourselves in. It can be done, but equally, we could slip into obscurity, and as a life long Swans fan, that is something I don't want to return to. Alas, I find my optimism waning more each week.
    I'm not missing any point. I just think the reaction is hysterical.

I'd love us to win more premierships. Finishing top 4 gives you the best chance to do that. I also recognise that they're bloody hard to win.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think the supporter base see something the coaches don't.

Were you like this in 2005 when the Saints outclassed us at Docklands? Or when Geelong ran away from us in the last H&A game of 2012? What about last year when we were 1-3?

Footy changes so quickly and I'm yet to see a flag given out in mid-July. Buckle up, there's plenty of 2015 to play out yet.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Warming the Bench

I'd love us to win more premierships. Finishing top 4 gives you the best chance to do that. I also recognise that they're bloody hard to win.

I think you're kidding yourself if you think the supporter base see something the coaches don't.

Were you like this in 2005 when the Saints outclassed us at Docklands? Or when Geelong ran away from us in the last H&A game of 2012? What about last year when we were 1-3?

Footy changes so quickly and I'm yet to see a flag given out in mid-July. Buckle up, there's plenty of 2015 to play out yet.
    ^^^

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by paper_rival View Post
    ^^^
    +1

You mean the sky isn't falling?
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Warming the Bench
    The sky isn't falling and the premiership race isn't over (well it might be) but i do agree with many posters that the actual issue with the team is skill level.
    Factor this in with injuries and it can make any team look subpar.

I actually think this is an AFL problem. People are complaining about the rolling mauls and stoppages but if players were cleaner with the ball. We wouldn't be having these issues.

Pies V Port
    Ess V Melb
    Swans V Lions
    Carl V Rich

All these games contained horrible skills that resulted in very average games.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    The sky isn't falling and the premiership race isn't over (well it might be) but i do agree with many posters that the actual issue with the team is skill level.
    Factor this in with injuries and it can make any team look subpar.

I actually think this is an AFL problem. People are complaining about the rolling mauls and stoppages but if players were cleaner with the ball. We wouldn't be having these issues.

Pies V Port
    Ess V Melb
    Swans V Lions
    Carl V Rich

All these games contained horrible skills that resulted in very average games.
    It is a trend that has permeated across a lot of clubs in the league - and I think it relates to the obsession with taking players that are athletes first and footballers second, not the other way around. Until more clubs think (dare I say it) like the Hawks in terms of the level of elite skill they are looking for, things won't improve.

Reducing interchanges and taking the focus away from it being all about 'gut running' might help in time too.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

agree with you Plugger .No need to write off the season just yet

Veterans List

Being a Swans fan for 55 years, I have learned to be an eternal optimist, but also a realist. I do hope you are right.......

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodbrother View Post
    agree with you Plugger .No need to write off the season just yet
    +1

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast