Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jetta contract talks

Jetta contract talks

It was reported on 3AW that Jetta's management are planning to start contract negotiations with the Swans within the next few weeks. It was reported that he was happy in Sydney but there was pressure from family to return to WA. Freo and WCE are both interested and why shouldn't they be.

It sounds like he would be looking for one big contract, given that he will be 27 next year. 5 years sounds about right to me, whether it's from us or another club. I can't say what kind of money it might be but $2.5 million might be around what it would take (Just guessing what's affordable). That's about what Sam Reid got, but most would agree that it was over the top.

If Jetta does decide to go to WA, I think we would probably get a late first round pick, so it might end up being an exchange of Jetta for Dunkley on value terms.

It would be a shame to see Jetta go now that he's got his total game together and has become such a critical part of our team. He's the kind of player that's nearly impossible to replace. But I also see how our salary cap limits will make it very hard to offer him the kind of contract that would be impossible to turn down as we've already given a few of those out and have a few more to come in the next couple of years.

Goes up to 11
    Hope he stays - I'd rather us offload one or two inside mids and keep his top line pace and sublime disposal skills.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Hope he stays - I'd rather us offload one or two inside mids and keep his top line pace and sublime disposal skills.
    I hope he stays too he can be exciting to watch and we need his kicking and speed

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Will Craig Bird stay? I'd like him to but he'd be worth a decent contract for several other clubs.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It was reported on 3AW that Jetta's management are planning to start contract negotiations with the Swans within the next few weeks. It was reported that he was happy in Sydney but there was pressure from family to return to WA. Freo and WCE are both interested and why shouldn't they be.

It sounds like he would be looking for one big contract, given that he will be 27 next year. 5 years sounds about right to me, whether it's from us or another club. I can't say what kind of money it might be but $2.5 million might be around what it would take (Just guessing what's affordable). That's about what Sam Reid got, but most would agree that it was over the top.

If Jetta does decide to go to WA, I think we would probably get a late first round pick, so it might end up being an exchange of Jetta for Dunkley on value terms.

It would be a shame to see Jetta go now that he's got his total game together and has become such a critical part of our team. He's the kind of player that's nearly impossible to replace. But I also see how our salary cap limits will make it very hard to offer him the kind of contract that would be impossible to turn down as we've already given a few of those out and have a few more to come in the next couple of years.
    Ditto with other posters in that I'd love him to stay as he is in career best form atm

I think it will come down to how much Freo and WCE want him.

Our cap pressure must be starting to bite a bit so while we'll probably put a competitive offer on the table I reckon both those clubs would be able to trump us. I have a sneaky feeling he may become an eagle.

Your valuation of his trade bait seems spot on to me. Straight swap for a late first rounder that we effectively use to recruit Dunks. We then package up Bird and Towers for a late second round or early third round that will mean our first round pick for 2016 should remain untouched.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I think the fact that he is willing to negotiate with the Swans should be seen as a good thing.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

He's arguably the most important player in the team, In that we have no one else really capable of doing what he does. His kicking and vision are top class. His pace on top of that is a huge bonus. I'd hope the swans will have planned for this day and are able to get the deal done as I shudder to think what I team looks like without him in it. In a team of ball butchers he is a surgeon.

I'll have a chat.
    He's not going anywhere.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Some positive commentary today on AFL website Fremantle unlikely to make play for Carlisle - AFL.com.au:

Sydney Swans speedster Lewis Jetta is another player considering his options, with the former West Australian out of contract at the end of the season.
    Lloyd said the Dockers had a high opinion of the 2012 premiership star, who has played every game this season, but he didn't expect Jetta to be up for grabs.
    "He's obviously a quality player, but we haven't done anything from that point of view with Lewis. He's an important part of Sydney's line-up and we rate him highly," Lloyd said.
    "He's had a good career to date at Sydney and I wouldn't expect he'd be going anywhere."

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Will Craig Bird stay? I'd like him to but he'd be worth a decent contract for several other clubs.
    AFL writes today: "Premiership player Craig Bird's future at the Swans looks uncertain, with the veteran unseen at senior level since playing the first five games of the season. Bird made his name as a run-with player or defensive forward, but the emergence of youngsters Harry Cunningham, Jake Lloyd and Zak Jones has relegated the 26 year-old to the NEAFL. Bird has played 20+ games in each of the past four years, but he'll be lucky to break double figures in 2015. "

Personally I totally disagree with the assessment he has fallen behind Cunningham, Lloyd and Jones. I am a subscriber of the "only three inside extractors" theory or whatever you want to call it. Bird is a good player and probably in front of those guys at this stage of their development - it's just that he is not as versatile as some and we have Kennedy, Parker and now Mitchell who have jumped in front of Bird in the role he plays. It is really hard if he has to leave because he is a NSW boy through and through, from Nelson Bay. But he must be worth something to a team that needs a proven inside mid and he may need to be thinking about setting himself up for his future.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    He's arguably the most important player in the team, .
    Not really. He's good. He brings something different (and highly valuable). But given the choice between losing him for a few weeks (or even permanently) or losing Kennedy, Hanners or Buddy (as just three examples), I wouldn't need to think for more than a nanosecond.

Just wild about Harry
    Thanks Annie. I am hoping that his manager is just trotting out the same old line they do every year. Remember every time Aker was negotiating his contract with the Lions? All of a sudden there was talk about the Swans talking to him, etc... all of which was a complete surprise to our list managers.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast