Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Round 16: NT Thunder v Sydney Swans Reserves @ TIO Stadium

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    SYDNEY SWANS
    Goal Kickers: J. Brown , S. Wilson , N. Newman , Z. Fyffe , S. McLaren , S. Krochmal
    Best Players: , L. Perris , N. Newman , T. Derickx , A. Aliir , J. Rose , A. Davis

Worrying signs when Derickx makes our bests.

57:30 - Derrickxx flips a guy to give away 50. Seen similar on a league field, but not aussie rules...
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    It's the first time this season I've been able to watch the ressies for an extended period and I really liked what Aliir was doing. How far off senior selection do others think he is? I looked up his entry in the club site but they haven't updated it since the start of last season, which seems pretty slack to me.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    It's the first time this season I've been able to watch the ressies for an extended period and I really liked what Aliir was doing. How far off senior selection do others think he is? I looked up his entry in the club site but they haven't updated it since the start of last season, which seems pretty slack to me.
    From the bits and pieces I've seen, he is continuing to improve nicely, but still a fair way off. He is athletic, willing to take the game on, and is improving his disposal. But his positioning still gets him caught out a bit, and he needs to continue to improve in 1 on 1 situations. I like him and think he will make it, but he needs time.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

McGlynn had no disposals or marks in the last quarter. Possible he was taken off but hard to notice because the footage last quarter was frame by frame.
    Newman 11 disposals in the last. 15 contested possessions in total.

I am super-impressed to see Perris be our best player as a young rookie in his first full game back after a long stint on the sidelines injured.

As an aside, it's a pity he isn't bigger - only because our other top midfield talent is also on the shorter side, as an individual level it is not so consequential. Joey is our only taller mid (188 cm) and it seems to be the way the game is going a bit that big mids are proving very valuable (provided, of course, that they are good enough).

Also encouraging to see Derickx do well - we might need him to play again.

Marsh on the other hand seems to have dropped away a bit. Or is it just one off game? I wonder why? Injury niggle? Disappointment at not getting called up when others were injured - he must have been a chance to come in for Laidler. I also wonder if he will be retained at the end of the year. I am thinking he will be because he is leading the MVP votes and because sooner rather than later we are going to need some new defenders and while we have a number of prospects, they mostly have been blooded and we don't really know yet which ones are going to succeed at AFL level (noting X's 2nd game 'debut' against West Coast).

I also wonder how far off Newman is. I imagine he will be promoted to the senior list ahead of next season, especially if we spend most of our high picks on Mills. I think he has been building form and fitness since returning from surgery (?) over the pre-season and it would be great to see him get a run in the seniors before the year is out - perhaps in place of Shaw?
    Last edited by bloodspirit; 28th July 2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: error

NEAFL MVP votes

10: Matt Rosier (NT Thunder)
    5: Cameron Ilett (NT Thunder)
    4: Michael Hagan (NT Thunder)
    4: Ryan Nyhuis (NT Thunder)
    3: James Rose (Sydney)
    2: Richard Tambling (NT Thunder)
    1: Ben Rioli (NT Thunder)
    1: Lloyd Perris (Sydney)

Veterans List
    Newmann must be getting close, if not this year I reckon he will be starting 22 next year, was it 35 disposals only 3 clangers, can use the ball. Rose continues to build.

On those stats and previous showings at senior level - DO NOT BRING BACK TOWERS! Another first round bust :-(

It's clearances not clangers.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I am super-impressed to see Perris be our best player as a young rookie in his first full game back after a long stint on the sidelines injured.

As an aside, it's a pity he isn't bigger - only because our other top midfield talent is also on the shorter side, as an individual level it is not so consequential. Joey is our only taller mid (188 cm) and it seems to be the way the game is going a bit that big mids are proving very valuable (provided, of course, that they are good enough).

Also encouraging to see Derickx do well - we might need him to play again.

Marsh on the other hand seems to have dropped away a bit. Or is it just one off game? I wonder why? Injury niggle? Disappointment at not getting called up when others were injured - he must have been a chance to come in for Laidler. I also wonder if he will be retained at the end of the year. I am thinking he will be because he is leading the MVP votes and because sooner rather than later we are going to need some new defenders and while we have a number of prospects, they mostly have been blooded and we don't really know yet which ones are going to succeed at AFL level (noting X's 2nd game 'debut' against West Coast).

I also wonder how far off Newman is. I imagine he will be promoted to the senior list ahead of next season, especially if we spend most of our high picks on Mills. I think he has been building form and fitness since returning from surgery (?) over the pre-season and it would be great to see him get a run in the seniors before the year is out - perhaps in place of Shaw?
    I am thinking Marsh will probably be delisted. We have Newman who, in my opinion is a far better player. Look at the way Newman took the game on and turned defence into attack. The way he attacked the man and ball. Reminds me of Spoggy Hywood who played for Richmond, direct, hard and a good disposer.

Perris is a very good player. I notices he was playing off the back flank on the weekend. He played it well and he and Newman combined really well. Very clever both of them.

The reason we were not up to it on thwe weekend I thought, the commentators mentioned it a few times, was our toppies were not up to it. They were slow and definitely not up to the pace of NEAFL. Seems silly saying that but all levels have their intensity and these toppies weren't used to NEAFL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    NEAFL MVP votes

10: Matt Rosier (NT Thunder)
    5: Cameron Ilett (NT Thunder)
    4: Michael Hagan (NT Thunder)
    4: Ryan Nyhuis (NT Thunder)
    3: James Rose (Sydney)
    2: Richard Tambling (NT Thunder)
    1: Ben Rioli (NT Thunder)
    1: Lloyd Perris (Sydney)
    When I look at a couple of thoise players Ugg I have to say it is easy getting cheap kicks on toppies.

I am not sure of the Toppie policy but I guess "they" try to rotate selection around.
    Last weeks bunch were 2nd string Toppies (don't mean that in a nasty way), most of the better ones were off playing TAC cup.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234