Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: MATCH THREAD - West Coast vs Swans round 17

Jetta's war dance was brilliant. Apparently Glen Jakovich said on SEN during the coverage that it was "completely unacceptable", so he's learned nothing. I have no idea whether Jetta was just celebrating culturally because he could, and is proud of who he is, or because they were booing Goodesy, or because he was copping it too, or whether it's just something he thought was cool. Whatever it was for, I loved it.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    And yes, at least we know after today Jetta won't be going to play with the KKK. Let's remember, a lot of people in Perth are ex-South Africans who left because they were disappointed by the end of apartheid.

Senior Player
    Again, in a big game, our leaders didn't impose themselves. Luke and Joey were the two highest possession winners but we didn't hurt them in the middle, not enough of our tackles stuck. McVeigh looks shot of confidence - that's the worst I can remember him disposing of the ball. We need to count on him to kick at 90%. And if he's not kicking well, he's a liability because he's slow and not a big body. Has he hit the cliff? Hanners was down, although made 9 tackles.

Very impressed with Heeney and Nankervis. Toby should play the rest of the year out - plays with real spirit. Shaw and Goodes played with heart, as did Jetta - I had a lot of affection for him today. Bravo for sticking up for Goodsey. West Coast fans were the worst yet, and that doesn't surprise me; I came away from my last experience in Perth thinking it was a place of above-average racism. Brandon Jack was pretty good, but made some bad decisions. Xavier showed promise. Rampe was excellent.

Overall, we're not playing with enough bite and vigour. We're weaker in the tackle. That's a reason why Nankervis is a keeper.

We're missing important players - obviously Franklin, but particularly Rohan, also McGlynn and Tippett. Ted's out, but he's been down this year. We may even get the first three back next week? Still believe enough to travel up from Canberra for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Jetta's war dance was brilliant. Apparently Glen Jakovich said on SEN during the coverage that it was "completely unacceptable", so he's learned nothing. I have no idea whether Jetta was just celebrating culturally because he could, and is proud of who he is, or because they were booing Goodesy, or because he was copping it too, or whether it's just something he thought was cool. Whatever it was for, I loved it.
    Longmire said he was sticking up for Goodsey.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettb View Post
    Not quite sure how you thought Pyke was good? He had 4 possessions, 1 mark and 1 tackle and in my opinion is nothing more than a passenger at the moment, he has zero influence around the ground. We cannot carry him any longer, we are playing one short.
    He has had a brilliant career but I fear Mike may well be seeing our his career in the twos.

I'd go with Tippet as our #1 Ruckman with Nanka as #2 ruck/forward

We have Buddy and Benny to come into the forward line which looks a hell of a lot better with Heeney there.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    He has had a brilliant career but I fear Mike may well be seeing our his career in the twos.

I'd go with Tippet as our #1 Ruckman with Nanka as #2 ruck/forward

We have Buddy and Benny to come into the forward line which looks a hell of a lot better with Heeney there.
    Tippett's hand injury came at a really bad time. A ruck legion of Tippett and Nankervis would go well. Judging from the Longmire presser, I don't think Pyke will play next week.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Watch Horse's press conference. He's usually pretty guarded but his support for Jetta and his absolute horror at the ongoing booing of Goodes is very clear. No discretion and good on him

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    And yes, at least we know after today Jetta won't be going to play with the KKK. Let's remember, a lot of people in Perth are ex-South Africans who left because they were disappointed by the end of apartheid.
    Hmmm. And they all barrack for the Eagles and go to the footy? While I have no time for the Eagles fans or their ridiculous style of "support", I don't think your comment is all that helpful.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Seeing Heeney perform as well as he did, with little support other than Goodsey, gives me hope we can still be a force in September, with some injury luck...

It could read....

Rohan Franklin Heeney
    McGlynn Tippett Goodes

If we can get this forward line together and firing, we could still be a real contender this year.

I also hope they stick with Nankervis, to share the rucking duties with Tippett.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Ok, fair enough. Picking on the ex saffers was unfair.

But what we saw - or actually, heard - today was flat out wrong and vile. The WCE fans are knuckle dragging racists, only behind the Hawthorn fans that began all of this.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    What has never played forward got to do with anything????? His job is the forward coach regardless of where and when he played. Maybe he needs to coach the backs/reserves or whatever, if he has never played in the forward line. But this is not my decision to make.
    I believe Nico was actually agreeing with you. The 'oxymoron' is a backman being a forward coach, which adds weight to the 'worst forward coach in history' claim. And ATM, he could well be, !!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    These losses are bad but we are outright 4th and have an easy run for the rest of the year. We just need to find a way to win those and build to full strength.

Its a long shot, but the opportunity is there.
    Spoken with extreme optimism, but I like your thinking. A few truth and honesty sessions, a bit of the '05 Bloods spirit rekindled, best team on the park, fully fit, and some serious mirror gazing from our coaches( and this is probably the most important point!), and anything is possible. This of course, is 'best case scenario', and my confidence in the current team management to make it all happen is being tested. WTF is Tom Harley doing? I thought he would really make everything in that area gel nicely, but as you hint at, it's not too late to turn it all around........

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    The Heeney shrine in my bedroom is coming along
    I hate to place pressure on a 18 year old kid that has played a handful of games, but the only time I saw him live was when he played one and half quarters against Melbourne (Before injury) but boy did he amaze me with the things he did!!

If we crumble to the 7th or 8th (or worse)over the next few games, at least I will enjoy watching him.