Thread: Aliir Aliir

Blog Entries

Aliir Aliir

Aliir Aliir sits in the stands of the Sydney Cricket Ground, clad in the red and white of the Sydney Swans, and looks across to the posts where he dreams of scoring goals.

?I?ve been still playing reserves, [as] I?m still developing, hopefully my opportunity comes,? the 19-year-old Kenyan-born Sudanese refugee said.

Aliir will be the face of this year?s Refugee Breakfast 2014, to be held on World Refugee Day.

Every year on June 20, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) recognises the millions of refugees fleeing persecution and danger around the world and honours their resilience.

Aliir will be joined by former Australian Test Cricket Captain Ian Chappell and Phil Kearns, former Wallabies Captain and the Australia for UNHCR Special Representative.

However, Aliir?s beginnings were far more modest.

?I spent my time in Kakuma Refugee Camp playing soccer . . . all I remember is playing sport, with my family,? he said.

?The war was still happening and my Mum wanted a better education for the family, so we came to Australia and it?s pretty good, down here.?

Aliir was eight-years-old when he arrived in Australia with his family. He had an uncle living in the country at the time, who helped him with the required paperwork to be registered as a refugee, but even then, Aliir was still moving from place to place.
    Finding refuge in sporting glory | Alternative Media Group of Australia

Interesting. Thanks fr posting that.

On the Rookie List
    Interesting read. He is a good story and hopefully has a long and successful career with the Swans.
    Not sure the journo is a footy fan...where exactly is centre right back?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Interesting read. He is a good story and hopefully has a long and successful career with the Swans.
    Not sure the journo is a footy fan...where exactly is centre right back?
    Members' Bar?

Regular in the Side
    From what I saw in the ressies this week he looked alright, on a side note my oldest son said if he doesn't have a nic name he should be called batteries ...........................AA.

Nice story. I'm hoping he can make it at the top level - has the potential to be a real cult figure. I've liked some of what I've seen when I've managed to catch ressies games this year - one particularly fantastic piece of play down here against Eastlake sticks in my mind. He is still developing and inconsistent, but I'm hoping he will continue to develop, as he is athletic and willing to take the game on.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    From what I saw in the ressies this week he looked alright, on a side note my oldest son said if he doesn't have a nic name he should be called batteries ...........................AA.
    Or Alcoholics Anonymous :-)

The team have named him "Chand-Allir".
    Best. Nickname. Ever.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.