Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Pyke isn't right, but don't condemn him. Longmire explains what's wrong with him and the prognosis in his post-match presser yesterday. Pyke's out there giving it his all with a bung knee that won't get better this season.
    He shouldn't be playing if its not going to improve this season in my book.... as a half cooked Pyke is adding zero to the team, and at very least we could be getting some games into the younger guys (Nankervis is starting to show signs of finding his feet at this level). I don't think anyone is questioning his effort at all - that is always there (and always has been) but we can't afford to carry him in a team that is already struggling big time.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    He shouldn't be playing if its not going to improve this season in my book.... as a half cooked Pyke is adding zero to the team, and at very least we could be getting some games into the younger guys (Nankervis is starting to show signs of finding his feet at this level). I don't think anyone is questioning his effort at all - that is always there (and always has been) but we can't afford to carry him in a team that is already struggling big time.
    The coaching staff obviously feel we have to. Naismith is injured, Tippett suspended and Reid adds too much around the ground (goal kicking aside) to be playing there.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

If Pyke is not going to improve because he's limited by injury we should put him on the LTIL and elevate Nic Newman. Someone who can kick the ball straight would be helpful, or at least worth a shot.

Regular in the Side
    [QUOTE=mcs;677620]In: Franklin, Richards
    Out: Richards, Pyke

I'd be surprised to see Rohan this week - I think even if he is up to playing, they may want to stick him in Ressies for a week (to make sure he is ok - last thing we want is an early reoccurrence and be down a man).

Harsh on XR as he did some really nice stuff yesterday, including a number of critical 1%ers. His time will come, and I'm feeling much more comfortable about replacing Teddy after XR put in such a good game yesterday.

We have to bite the bullet on Pyke. I've in general been an ardent defender of him, but he is giving us absolutely nothing at the moment, either in the ruck or around the ground.

Leave him out, let Nankervis do his best to break even in the ruck, and give him some help around the ground/rest from Reid mainly. Can't be any worse than what we got from Pyke yesterday - and will allow us to rebalance the team a bit.

"Love Pyke, but cannot argue that he play at the moment ... I think he has earned enough respect for the club to be open about his situation ... surely he is carrying major injury of some sort? Cautious about Nankervis ... his enthusiasm is obvious ... but his ball handling is poor, his handpass skills are woeful & he has to learn that in a clearance situation you can't impede the line of a midfielder as he did yesterday. We are in an increasingly vulnerable situation ... hardly the time to be teach him on the run. Hope the coaches are active on this ... wish I were more confident they even notice!

On another point, Lloyd seems to have lost that lovely awareness and touch that he had in year one. Currently a mistake machine ... but not alone."
    Last edited by Gary; 27th July 2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: error

When is Naismith due to return. Could do with him and resting Pyke.

Senior Player
    IN: Franklin Richards
    OUT: Pyke Richards

Sub - jones.

I'm glad to see that people have picked up on the fact that Pyke is playing injured and that is effecting his output. It seems unfair to Pyke to write him off just because he is being asked to play injured and giving it his best. Conversely I think it is fair enough to question the decision to play him when he is giving us relatively little at the moment. I am not sure it is good enough to ask Nank to ruck with a little bit of support from Reid - who we need elsewhere anyway. So the question is what are the alternatives: Tippett? Injured. Naismith? Injured. Derickx? Offers less than Pyke, out of form and returning from injury. Right now I think this is why they continue to play Pyke. I hope for Pyke's sake that he is dropped and sent off for repairs but I guess we need a viable alternative to go to and we don't have one. It is such a pity that Naismith has been injured these past several weeks - this was the opportunity he needed to gain exposure and experience at AFL level.

Once again I lament that Derickx is signed for next year and I still think we need to sign another ruck over the off season regardless. I have suggested as possibilities Zac Smith, Leuenberger or one of the GWS rucks that is not going to see much air time at AFL level. These might be achievable with current trading restrictions. I'm sure there are others.

Regular in the Side
    Not sure that Derickx while definitely not AFL standard would offer less than Pyke at present. Pyke needs a decent break and Derickx is all we have that could make a contest against Jacobs. Derickx at least made the best player list in Darwin on Saturday which was depressing as the two players ahead of him are both rookies and not eligible to play AFL without being elevated. We should have one position available from mid season without a long term injury providing our salary cap situation allows for it. Alternative would be Reid but if Franklin is not available then he will be needed as key forward shocking kicking included.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    18 touches, 7 marks and 5 tackles isn't too bad. 0.4 isn't great, but we've got much bigger worries than Reid
    I see Reid of symptomatic of our problems: failure to make clutch plays, bad decisions under pressure, flaky disposal, not hard at it. He's performing well short of his potential given his natural athleticism. I find him pretty frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Not sure that Derickx while definitely not AFL standard would offer less than Pyke at present. Pyke needs a decent break and Derickx is all we have that could make a contest against Jacobs. Derickx at least made the best player list in Darwin on Saturday which was depressing as the two players ahead of him are both rookies and not eligible to play AFL without being elevated. We should have one position available from mid season without a long term injury providing our salary cap situation allows for it. Alternative would be Reid but if Franklin is not available then he will be needed as key forward shocking kicking included.
    Yes, hadn't seen Derickx' relative good form in the NEAFL on the weekend when I posted. I agree Pyke needs a spell and if Derickx is ready to step in then he may be the best option to work with Nank. Although I do still think we would be better off if we could replace Derickx with a different ruck for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Yes, hadn't seen Derickx' relative good form in the NEAFL on the weekend when I posted. I agree Pyke needs a spell and if Derickx is ready to step in then he may be the best option to work with Nank. Although I do still think we would be better off if we could replace Derickx with a different ruck for next season.
    Everyone is wanting to have a team with better skills and I don't think that somehow adding Derickx to the side is going to help that situation. He has the poorest skills of anyone on the Swans' list. I don't know how he got into the 'bests' except that he dominated the hitouts by a large margin, but it made little difference to flow of the game. He made loads of clumsy errors. We also had half a team of top ups, so more than half our players got into the bests anyway.

In general, we need to keep a least one eye toward the future with our selections for the remaining games of this season. In a way we are fortunate to have had this falloff in a year when it would seem a fluke if Hawthorn didn't take the title. It allows us to be a bit more realistic of our chances this year and take the opportunity to begin setting up our side for the years ahead.

I'll be playing this week.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast