Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for home truths....

Draft Scout

Time for home truths....

I know it is easy to be angry and upset, but after sitting back and reflecting I think there is an easy answer to our problems.
    Game style!
    It needs to change and I think we are 2-3 years behind the pace setters. Hawthorn, West Coast, Bulldogs, GWS(I know we beat them, but they are coming fast), Richmond are all employing a similar game style that relies on a total team buy in. The web defence is killing our handball through traffic style and we need to improve our foot skills and start now!

I believe Longmire is capable, but it needs to be sooner rather than later. We can not win with this style, p.s. Port Adelaide are in the same boat
    Staying ahead of the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajn View Post
    I know it is easy to be angry and upset, but after sitting back and reflecting I think there is an easy answer to our problems.
    Game style!
    It needs to change and I think we are 2-3 years behind the pace setters. Hawthorn, West Coast, Bulldogs, GWS(I know we beat them, but they are coming fast), Richmond are all employing a similar game style that relies on a total team buy in. The web defence is killing our handball through traffic style and we need to improve our foot skills and start now!

I believe Longmire is capable, but it needs to be sooner rather than later. We can not win with this style, p.s. Port Adelaide are in the same boat
    Fully agree - we don't have a Plan B when the way we want to play isn't working and with the potential in fire power we have up fwd we rarely capitalise because we take far too long to move the ball fwd.

We've got nothing to lose this season. We know our current game plan simply does not stand up against top teams, so we may as well switch to an attacking style. Lock Tippett/Goodes in the goal square, lock Buddy at HF/wing. Every time we run out of defence we want at least two options forward of the play so we can stop this stupid sideways shuffling.

Every time we drop spare men back, we fall apart. The pressure is off now - we're not expected to win, so if we can switch to an attacking style and turnaround our results that's great. If it fails, we drop a few more ladder spots and get better value draft picks to help with academy bidding.

I agree that our game plan isn't great but it would sure work a lot better if we could actually execute it. The number of turnovers and missed targets makes any game plan impossible for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    I agree that our game plan isn't great but it would sure work a lot better if we could actually execute it. The number of turnovers and missed targets makes any game plan impossible for us.
    It's a chicken vs egg scenario. The game plan causes high level congestion which is supposed to make defence easier, but in turn it's hindering our attack. The last two weeks have shown that the current plan is not preventing the opposition scoring freely, so we need to switch to attack. At full strength we can match it with most sides when we go one on one.

Plus there is nothing to lose!

Really don't think the skill levels there to go with a plan B, watch them kicking under pressure , first act under pressure with people round is a standard backward handpass. They are starting to go to Jetta because of his footskills ? Some flaws ?

Warming the Bench
    In 2007 Port Adelaide scored fairly freely but were smashed in the grand final so they decided to change their game plan from then on to a less free flowing style so they could never be embarressed like that again I was told by an employee of the club at the time. They decided to restrict the teams from scoring and forgot about scoring themselves this lead to them going from a top side to a very poor side real quick, I see a similar way to our style of play this year. Most of our wins this year have been a struggle. I don't think we will drop that quickly but the trade ban is going to hurt for a few years unless we can unearth a cheap gem. We should persist with Xavier Richards and play Aliir, Marsh and maybe Davis as our backline really struggles against good forwards if we don't get time into these players we will end up hanging on to players that may not be up to it next year when they are required. At the end of the year do the match commitee say well we better keep Shaw and continue to play Grundy and Ted as our main backs cause we don't know how good these other players are or even worse delete young players without giving them a go as we know what we can get from the older players. we don't have to play all these players at once but give them at least a couple of games. The midfield players need to go out and take the game on instead of worrying about the opposition our group of players in that area are as good as any in the league but they spend to much time blocking and scragging and are more interested in tackling than getting the ball if the ball was moved quicker then we may have some forwards in our forward line that can kick goals.

Do we have a game plan?
    Noooooo.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    In 2007 Port Adelaide scored fairly freely but were smashed in the grand final so they decided to change their game plan from then on to a less free flowing style so they could never be embarressed like that again I was told by an employee of the club at the time. They decided to restrict the teams from scoring and forgot about scoring themselves this lead to them going from a top side to a very poor side real quick, I see a similar way to our style of play this year. Most of our wins this year have been a struggle. I don't think we will drop that quickly but the trade ban is going to hurt for a few years unless we can unearth a cheap gem. We should persist with Xavier Richards and play Aliir, Marsh and maybe Davis as our backline really struggles against good forwards if we don't get time into these players we will end up hanging on to players that may not be up to it next year when they are required. At the end of the year do the match commitee say well we better keep Shaw and continue to play Grundy and Ted as our main backs cause we don't know how good these other players are or even worse delete young players without giving them a go as we know what we can get from the older players. we don't have to play all these players at once but give them at least a couple of games. The midfield players need to go out and take the game on instead of worrying about the opposition our group of players in that area are as good as any in the league but they spend to much time blocking and scragging and are more interested in tackling than getting the ball if the ball was moved quicker then we may have some forwards in our forward line that can kick goals.
    A lot of truth in that. In a word, too much responding and not enough initiating.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Draft Scout
    I'm not sure wholesale changes will ever be the Swans way, but by giving one or two a game and seeing if we can unearth anything. I would like to see Newman trialed, as I hear his foot skills are high class. If not he, then we need to unearth someone who can launch our attacks and put us on the front foot. Attack sides and get them to react to us...
    Staying ahead of the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajn View Post
    I'm not sure wholesale changes will ever be the Swans way, but by giving one or two a game and seeing if we can unearth anything. I would like to see Newman trialed, as I hear his foot skills are high class. If not he, then we need to unearth someone who can launch our attacks and put us on the front foot. Attack sides and get them to react to us...
    I think newman will find a place in the 22 sooner rather than later - but more likely to be next year. There is a lot to like about his footy, but plenty to work on as well.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Until we can effectively turn defence into attack from our defensive 50, no game plan is going to work. We are pulling everyone from our forward line just to help our defence get the ball out of our defensive zone, then of course there's no one to kick to if we do get the ball back.

I think our defence next year will include Reg, Rampe, Smith and Jones. Rampe and Reg can't handball and Reg is slow, but they all can kick well enough. There's not enough speed in that group to trouble anyone. The remaining 2 in the back six have to have some reasonable pace and good skills as well as the requisite ability to defend 1 on 1. I'm not sure who the other 2 will be. But we know who the candidates are. Newman is a good chance since he's got most of the what we need. Then it's who will be our other tall defender: Maybe X, maybe Reid. I like Laidler, but he may be to 'ordinary' to fit with the rest of the group, but a reliable player that should remain on our list. He's a bit like Kyle Cheney, who does a good fill in job, but finds it hard to keep a regular spot.

I have some concern that a number of our better young midfielders are more inside players than outside runners and I don't know how it will all work out. Hewett is a natural inside mid and so is Mills. If we get Dunkley, that's yet another. We may have to find a game plan that takes this into account.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast