Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Round 17: Sydney Swans Reserves v Brisbane Lions Reserves @ SCG

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Davis has been playing mostly in the midfield and chipping in here and there where needed. Sometimes in the ruck when Derickx went down, a couple of spells as a key forward and in the second half today was a key defender

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Davis has been playing mostly in the midfield and chipping in here and there where needed. Sometimes in the ruck when Derickx went down, a couple of spells as a key forward and in the second half today was a key defender
    I like the way that, with the exception of talents like Heeney, we make players serve an apprenticeship so they really earn their senior call up.

Nankervis has done his and he is a banker for the ones now in my book, love the way he throws his weight around and his workrate.

I suspect Davis has his papers stamped in the NEAFL this year, and rightly so, but I could see him being one to watch in 2016

A very comfortable victory for the ressies this afternoon, and if it wasn't for a gobsmackingly inaccurate conversion rate the margin should have been closer to triple digits than the eventual 45 points. While it was quite windy in the first quarter it had settled down enough in the 2nd quarter for it not to be a factor but the Swans kicked an atrocious 1.9 and the Lions weren't much better with 3 behinds. Many of the culprits were listed players whose skills and experience should have served them better as we moved the ball forward. Perhaps not having a decent tall target to aim for caused much of the wastefulness in front of goal. And while I don't like badmouthing the opposition, some of the Lions' skill errors today would have drive their coach Shane Woewodin up the wall - kicking straight to the opposition, kicking to the man on the mark, handballs to the feet of teammates etc.

The Lions had roughly as many disposals as the Swans in the first half and finished the game 19 ahead of us but trailed badly in the Inside 50 count. Their propensity to attempt switches of play in their defensive half was their own undoing with their poor kicking skills, the windy conditions combined with some excellent Swans pressure creating plenty of turnovers and subsequently plenty of scoring shots (which we didn't fully capitalise on). The Lions were a improved side in the 2nd half and were competitive enough to only lose the half by 3 points, with both sides kicking 5 goals apiece. Some strong forward play by experienced AFL players Brent Staker and Luke McGuane against an inexperienced defence created many of their scoring opportunities.

James Rose had quite low numbers today with only 11 disposals 2 marks and a solitary tackle but he played a lot better than the numbers would seem to suggest. His evasive work in traffic is a highlight and there were a couple of nearly marks where he just failed to hang onto some contested marks at a second or third grab. Defensively he works hard as well and caused many of the Brisbane defensive turnovers.

Abe Davis spent the majority of the first half as a inside midfielder providing a big body in the middle to support the smaller frames of Lloyd Perris, Dan Robinson and George Hewett. He had plenty of the ball in the first quarter including kicking a long goal, as well as shepherding Baron-Hay's solitary goal in the 2nd quarter. In the second half he was moved to defence where he played a key position role against McGuane and Staker. This was done to allow Aliir Aliir a few runs in the ruck as a chop out to the returning Sam Naismith who only entered the game at half time but immediately made his presence felt not only with his taps going directly down the throats of our midfielders but also throwing his big frame around when competing for the disputed ball.

This was the first time I've seen Allir in the ruck and his leaps at the centre bounces were very impressive with his spring and hang time, dare I say it, Nic Nat-esque. I wasn't so enamoured with some of his defensive work, I still think he plays too loose when marking a key forward and at times picks the wrong moments to peel/zone off , not impacting the play and allowing his man an easy mark. Sean McLaren was used as the primary ruckman in the first half

Perris was amazing in the first quarter with his enthusiastic defensive work around our half forward area very encouraging to the rest of his teammates. I don't remember seeing him in the last quarter so he may have been rested then. Robinson and Hewett were our two workhorses in the middle with their quick hands shoveling the ball out of the middle critical to our success. The difference between the two however is that Robinson also presented himself as an outside option whilst Hewett's work seemed to be done once he had performed his inside midfield duties. This versatility will hold young Robinson in good stead in the coaches' opinions.

Dean Towers looked lively across half forward getting plenty of the football and taking some nice marks when allowed to run and jump at the incoming ball. However he was very wasteful with his kicking and decision making and finished with a very inaccurate 2 goals 6 behinds. I am of the firm belief his kicking is very ordinary, unable to generate much power or penetration with the conventional drop punt and has to resort to strange around the body kicks or up and unders with the result that his shot at goals are often offline or his delivery into the forward line haphazard at times and not to the advantage of his forwards. Jack Hiscox was also similarly frustrating with a haul of 1 goal 3 behinds, Hiscox often looks exciting breaking away into space but the end product, especially with his kicking requires a lot of practice and development.

In defence, Nic Newman often found himself as the loose man in defence when the Lions dropped one back themselves. He definitely prefers the use of his trusty left boot over his hands, with 19 of his 21 disposals today being kicks but today wasn't as accurate in the past few weeks. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and blame the gusty breeze. However, I'm not sure he is the long term successor to Rhyce Shaw as some have been promulgating in recent weeks - not because I don't think he will make it (I think he will) but he isn't the run and carry type that Shaw has been performing for us since his arrival in Sydney.

Harrison Marsh played as a key back in Xavier Richards' absence and wasn't really troubled by any of the Lions forwards, did some good work as the third man in as well.

We have the bye next week before playing the Suns Reserves as the curtain raiser to the Collingwood game.

Swans 4.8 5.17 8.20 10.26 (86)
    Lions 0.2 0.5 2.9 5.11 (41)

Goal Kickers: L. Perris 2, D. Towers 2, D. Robinson , S. Wilson , D. Baron-Hay , A. Davis , J. Hiscox , Z. Jones
    Best Players: , D. Robinson , Z. Jones , A. Aliir , L. Perris , S. McLaren , H. Marsh

Just realised I missed Zak Jones in that report. He played mostly in the midfield and was his usual energetic self. What really sticks out about his game is the effectiveness of his tackles. He almost takes it as an affront that a player tries to evade or wriggle their way out of his tackle attempts, and in response he will make sure he sticks the tackles and creates a stoppage or a spillage.

Veterans List
    Thanks Ugg, great write ups before and after. Us interstaters really appreciate the time you put in.

Senior Player
    Thanks Ugg, agree with you about Towers, had hoped his waywardness was just nerves but both he and Hiscox probably fit into the category of being excellent athletes lacking disposal skills.

I feel that NicNewman is more of a replacement for Malceski than Shaw. I don't think Shaw should play back anyway, he is a very attacking player who gets inspired when he can get a goal. Jones the heir apparent to Shaw (who is actually in very good form atm).

I'm also thinking that Davis is a smokey for a call-up if injury strikes because he seems to able to play just about anywhere. He seems to be a quicker version of Reg with similar bulk good skills and footy smarts.

Love the look of Rose. Great to see Naismith back.Love the way Perris has a crack.

Robinson's disposal skills may see him get another crack at the seniors soon. It was noticeable in the seniors how quickly our game plan broke down if the disposal was off (McGlynn mostly, hopefully just rusty but this is an issue).

Do we know what happened to Jordan Foote?
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Awesome to see Naismith back on the park and doing ok - I do think he will make it and be a very decent player.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I like Nic Newman. The mature age rookie has certainly got a bit of talent. Other than his kicking, I love his ability to shut down a dangerous player and then get space on him and hurt them going the other way. He is tough too and his tackling is very good. He is apparently acting reserves Captain so the coaches must respect his leadership qualities.

Was so happy to see Big Sammy back. he was pretty good too. I love his ability to find a rover with his taps and being 206cm really helps. His closing speed is fantastic for a guy his size and at times yesterday I didn't give him a chance and he burst through, once for a mark and once for a spoil, when 10m off the pace.

I think you are a bit harsh on Hewett. For a start he didn't play last week. Secondly, he is the player who gets it and dishes off. I thought he had plenty of ball around the ground and wasted some kicks, not normal for him as generally he is pretty good, but managed to make up for it with a couple of beauties.

The reason the Lions had plenty of ball and more disposals is they kicked it around the backline so much. It is pretty boring stuff really and they were cheap possessions. Too many of their players were static. Our mids and defenders were much more direct and took the game on. Unfortunately our forwards were exceedingly wasteful.

The toppies were a standard above last weeks mob. Young Baron-Hay is interesting, he is an Academy lad? If so let's rookie him next year. There were a couple of good kids out there yesterday. I think Wilson looks ok too.

Perris was pretty good. Second game back and if he looks this good imagine how good he will be in 2016 with lots of game time under his belt. Took a couple of really great intercept marks, one for a goal. Reads the play so well and can play taller than he is. He is a footballer not just an athlete. Great skill and doesn't worry about pressure, just does the right thing no matter what. Same with Newman, he just gets out of situations, you think he is totally gone, then he baulks, switches and is out. clever little buggers both of them. Can't wait to see them get a game next year. Got to upgrade both.

Just realised I missed Zak Jones in that report. He played mostly in the midfield and was his usual energetic self. What really sticks out about his game is the effectiveness of his tackles. He almost takes it as an affront that a player tries to evade or wriggle their way out of his tackle attempts, and in response he will make sure he sticks the tackles and creates a stoppage or a spillage.
    Had me worried for a tic ugg. I love watching Zac play. Even when nowhere near the ball he is concentration personified, just like Peb was wayyyy back when. And you are right, he has definitely gone to the Jack school of tackling. Tough little sod.
    Have a bit of time for Allir Allir - he is a natural ball handler.
    Lots of time for Rose; he was always close to a contest.
    Robbo got 'too' involved at times, and stuffing up. An anxious game.
    I rather like Harry Marsh - he looks to be a natural captain, not sure if he is or not. Kind of a self assurance and belief.
    Some of my other observations are not as instructive as ugg's so I won't make them., except that I do like Lloyd Perris. I really do.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

For those keen to catch the replay

Fast forward to 5:30 for the first bounce

Love the way we bring the young uns through.

Next year you'd hope that Mills, Dunkley and Hewett will get a good taste of senior footy with Jones also cementing a spot.

Perris and Davis should be aiming for a debut with it being make or break years for Xav and Sam in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like O'Brien from the Lions had his own footy out there yesterday

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast