Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Geelong round 19

Just wild about Harry
    I thought that Benny made a huge difference to our game and is the player we have been missing a LOT recently. He is one of the few experienced players we have who can time his roving off packs well and he has speed and tenacity (although usually couldnt hit the side of a barn with his kicks). I am also hoping that saturday's game style may have been the result of the training loading finishing? I really, really hope so.

It's no doubt not going to be a popular opinion but I have always felt our side has looked better balanced with Adam out of the team this year. Early on he was dropped to the ressies for this reason. He has been a champion no doubt and has played some good games this year but his lateral movement is nowhere what it used to be and I really feel that he and Heeney are basically playing the one position in the forward line and believe that Isaac is the better option for the club going forward.

I really felt Adam's decision to go on this year was a wrong one and maybe he may be feeling the same right now.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    It's no doubt not going to be a popular opinion but I have always felt our side has looked better balanced with Adam out of the team this year. Early on he was dropped to the ressies for this reason. He has been a champion no doubt and has played some good games this year but his lateral movement is nowhere what it used to be and I really feel that he and Heeney are basically playing the one position in the forward line and believe that Isaac is the better option for the club going forward.

I really felt Adam's decision to go on this year was a wrong one and maybe he may be feeling the same right now.
    I completely agree and its unfortunate, he's definitely in our best 18-22 players but the team does seem more balanced without him. Reports are he's resuming training tomorrow which is great news regardless

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I completely agree and its unfortunate, he's definitely in our best 18-22 players but the team does seem more balanced without him. Reports are he's resuming training tomorrow which is great news regardless
    It's up on the AFL website that he does plan to return for the Geelong game. He definitely started the season in poor form, but he's improved throughout the season and now looks good enough to go on another season if he wants. I think he gives us the flexibility to play Reid back or where he is most needed, so I actually think it helps our structure.

Shaw has also been in good form in recent weeks, which gives me hope that Ted can also regain some of his better form as well.

If Goodes does return, I would drop Nankervis. Geelong really don't have much of a ruck division, Tippo's rucking well and Reid is a good matchup on Blicavs.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's up on the AFL website that he does plan to return for the Geelong game. He definitely started the season in poor form, but he's improved throughout the season and now looks good enough to go on another season if he wants. I think he gives us the flexibility to play Reid back or where he is most needed, so I actually think it helps our structure.

Shaw has also been in good form in recent weeks, which gives me hope that Ted can also regain some of his better form as well.

If Goodes does return, I would drop Nankervis. Geelong really don't have much of a ruck division, Tippo's rucking well and Reid is a good matchup on Blicavs.
    Ludwig , I don't disagree with you very often, but another season for Goodesie?
    Age has taken away the success of his second efforts, the ball usually 20m away, by the time he has recovered.
    His lateral movement is severely restricted, and won't return.
    Distance kicking has been really affected..he realises this and has to try passing the ball off much more than he used to, with spasmodic results.
    Against all this, of course...he's a wily old fox who always knows where the ball is going, and he gets there enough for his effectiveness to be apparent. Had some lovely goals this year, but 12 more months...another pre season??
    Nah!

Veterans List
    The swans site says Goodes is returning to training tomorrow and is available for selection to play against the Cats ????.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post

You could be right about next year, but I think this year, he's proven himself worthy of selection. The events of the past week, and previous weeks/seasons, may well help him decide to move on next year and concentrate on more important things ie; fighting the good fight with his mate Micky O. Whatever he decides, I will be comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Ludwig , I don't disagree with you very often, but another season for Goodesie?
    Age has taken away the success of his second efforts, the ball usually 20m away, by the time he has recovered.
    His lateral movement is severely restricted, and won't return.
    Distance kicking has been really affected..he realises this and has to try passing the ball off much more than he used to, with spasmodic results.
    Against all this, of course...he's a wily old fox who always knows where the ball is going, and he gets there enough for his effectiveness to be apparent. Had some lovely goals this year, but 12 more months...another pre season??
    Nah!
    Last year, I was calling for Goodes and Shaw to retire, and earlier this season wanted both to be dropped, and Goodes of course was dropped to the reserves. But recent form has changed my mind, at least for now. I know at his age he can fall away quickly, but given his improvement this year, I think I was too quick to write him off. Now I'm ready to leave it to him to decide if he wants to play on. We don't have much experienced depth in the KPP category, so he could be helpful in that regard. Anyway, so much up in the air on many fronts atm. We'll see how he finishes up the year.

Out: Sweet Caroline, Neil Diamond
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Out: Sweet Caroline, Neil Diamond
    Yeh, what is the go with that??

Why don't they play 'Up there for Sydney' instead of Sweet Caroline?
    Maybe nobody knows the words?

Opti-pessi-misti
    Despite my earlier misgivings, Adam will be back at training tomorrow and it is great news! I haven't seen John Longmire so relaxed and actually jovial and smiling for some time. He seemed so relieved that Adam is back in a 'good headspace', feeling positive and wants to get back to footy. Evidently he (Adam) watched the last 3 quarters on Saturday and was blown away by the support given to him. Assuming he plays on Saturday we will just have to see what kind of reception he receives from the Geelong fans.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast