Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Geelong round 19

Senior Player

Changes for Geelong round 19

Here we go. Great win on the weekend.

Big question is whether buddy plays. He looked pretty sore to be honest. Then of course will Goodes come back.

I think buddy will be rested actually. Too close to finals to risk. I also want Goodes back.

I was a little worried about Lloyd. He lacked his usual composure of disposal and got caught out a few times. But his goal was great He should play again but needs to lift.

IN Goodes Jones.
    Out Franklin BJ

Jones to be sub again. Give BJ another full game In the neafl.

I don't think that this will be popular opinion, but unless Franklin misses, I don't think Goodes should play.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanno View Post
    I don't think that this will be popular opinion, but unless Franklin misses, I don't think Goodes should play.
    The structure looked good on the weekend so it's ok to say that. I'm sure we can separate structure and form discussions from personal discussions. After all respect is what the weekend was all about.

I for one would bring Goodes back regardless. If franklin plays I would be tempted to omit Lloyd as I alluded to.

Blog Entries
    I don't think giving BJ another run in the 2's is the way to progress him.
    We need his pace on the ground and dropping him will not do well for his confidence.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I don't think giving BJ another run in the 2's is the way to progress him.
    We need his pace on the ground and dropping him will not do well for his confidence.
    I know. I wish there were 25 places in the senior team sometimes. I just can't think of anyone else in the senior team I would replace him with just at the moment and so I don't like the idea of him getting short game time as sub repeatedly.

I think the same can be said about jones

I doubt they'll ask me to play this week.

- - - Updated - - -

He's a required player. He should have played against Adelaide.
    Had he played on the weekend we would have beat them by 100.

If he doesn't play, he's telling the unenlightened that they have won.
    Not the best message to be sending them.

I'm pretty sure that when he plays there'll be no more booing (unless he sooks for a free kick, is playing dirty, or is lining up for goal - perfectly valid reasons for booing a player).
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I don't think he has anything to prove, he has been one of the best players in the game for a few years now, and as alluded to earlier, our structure on the weekend looked as good as it has all season. Our midfield, for once, dominated a midfield that are no push over's.

If Goodes is going to play, I would rather him play in the forward line rather than midfield, the midfield combination was excellent and should not be messed with. Essentially that is my reasoning for Goodes only playing if Franklin misses out.

I don't think he has anything to prove, he has been one of the best players in the game for a few years now, and as alluded to earlier, our structure on the weekend looked as good as it has all season. Our midfield, for once, dominated a midfield that are no push over's.

If Goodes is going to play, I would rather him play in the forward line rather than midfield, the midfield combination was excellent and should not be messed with. Essentially that is my reasoning for Goodes only playing if Franklin misses out.
    I wonder if the improvement on Saturday was less to do with the personnel on the park, and more to do with a clear shift in the gameplan used, from the 'bomb it and hope' at every opportunity, to a greater focus on using handballs and gut running to get the ball moving and up the ground - in essence something much closer to the 'slingshot' footy of 2012. It was a welcome change that I think was much more of a factor to our improved play than the personnel out there (although not carrying an unfit Pyke certainly helped in terms of Ruck and around the ground).

If Goodes wants to play, he should play, because his last 10 games or so have clearly shown that he is still in our best 22 on form. I do agree his best spot is in the forward line however. I wonder if Buddy will play against the Cats, given he clearly is having major issues with his back - and the last thing we can afford to lose is Buddy from the big games that count at the end of the year.

I agree on BJ - he needs more time on the field in the Seniors, as I think he is reaching a stage where going back to NEAFL isn't going to do a lot. It may be that in the end he is just not quite good enough at the AFL level - but we need to persevere with him.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Gameplans look so much better when your opposition is inferior.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Opti-pessi-misti
    Just listening to a Tighe Kennelly interview and it was his opinion that unless Adam came to training today or tomorrow he would not play this weekend. He stated the obvious fact that after missing a week of training already he would not play after missing two weeks' of training. He mentioned too the fact that to come back at the SCG against Collingwood the week after would be a better option. I think I agree that coming back at the SCG would be better - for a variety of reasons.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    ...I agree on BJ - he needs more time on the field in the Seniors, as I think he is reaching a stage where going back to NEAFL isn't going to do a lot. It may be that in the end he is just not quite good enough at the AFL level - but we need to persevere with him.
    Keep Brandon in, they may have to anyway with Benny looking pretty sore after the Crows game.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    ...I wonder if the improvement on Saturday was less to do with the personnel on the park, and more to do with a clear shift in the gameplan used,
    or maybe not having to endure the booing of one of their leaders?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Gameplans look so much better when your opposition is inferior.
    That is true Plugger46 - but I thought it was pretty clear that we had tweaked the style we were trying to play quite significantly from previous weeks.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast