Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013: The defining year for the Swans and a lot more

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I'm not sure it's panic stations just yet. Part of it is we have become used to supporting a successful club.
    Four GFs and two premierships in the last decade (only really bested by Hawthorn & Geelong in that time)
    and in the finals every year. So when things aren't going along swimmingly (like now) it's tempting to look
    elsewhere for who to blame. I just think we need to figure out a way to kick more goals (somehow) and
    the rest will take care of itself.
    Having said that, it's pretty obvious that the AFL is really still the VFL (10 of 18 teams in Victoria just says it all
    really) and not really a national comp, and the exec leadership of the AFL, as shown by the Essendon saga and
    more recently the booing of Goodsey are totally bereft of any type of gumption. They are weak and self interested,
    not unlike the political leaders of this country. The AFL's barometer of success seems to be how much they can
    sell the TV rights for, yet the numbers at the grassroots of footy are way down.
    That was an excellent post KT.

Mike Sheahan stated recently 6 teams need to bite the dust in Melbourne , which for a Victorian Journo of fifty years was pretty remarkable of him.
    12 teams , play each other twice.
    Won't happen, but he was bold to come out with it.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Footy classified

Quote Originally Posted by SA Swan View Post
    That was an excellent post KT.
    Just watched footy classified and they gave it to the Swans, how they are falling apart with no forward structure and the backline playing one on one taking it safe and not taking any risks. Have to do something about our ruck division. I cannot belief how slow Nankervis is!! At my age I didn't think I could outrun an AFL player, but I would be able to give Toby a run for his money. Not sure they could not have drafted a ruckman with more mobility at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Mike Sheahan stated recently 6 teams need to bite the dust in Melbourne , which for a Victorian Journo of fifty years was pretty remarkable of him.
    Most sugnificantly, that will dilute the powerbase of melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Just watched footy classified and they gave it to the Swans, how they are falling apart with no forward structure and the backline playing one on one taking it safe and not taking any risks. Have to do something about our ruck division. I cannot belief how slow Nankervis is!! At my age I didn't think I could outrun an AFL player, but I would be able to give Toby a run for his money. Not sure they could not have drafted a ruckman with more mobility at least.
    Naismith is the solution in my book if they can they get his body right. I like the endeavour of nankervis, but i frankly struggle to see what he has done so far which suggests he is a long term afl ruckman/forward. Im happy for him to keep getting am opportunity whilst pyke is injured, but i still think naismith will be the better player.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Don't disagree with Mike but no Melbourne team will ever fold whilst the AFL are pumping $20-30m a year to prop up two expansion teams who are not economically viable in the short term and perhaps never on a stand alone basis.

I think that 16 is an ideal number which would require two Melbourne teams to either merge or fold.

They are hard to kill off, St Kilda and North are the obvious targets but hisotry shows these clubs to be very resilient

They should have relocated those existing clubs interstate as they did South Melbourne instead of establishing new clubs. We should have something like the Western Sydney Bulldogs, the Gold Coast Saints, the Darwin Demons, the Hobart Kangaroos or whatever. I even think a New Zealand based team would have been more beneficial to the code long term than the Gold Coast location.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Pretty sure Aliir would have gone through to the rookie draft if we had left him.

I guess we were just so desperate for a ruckman we felt we couldn't risk losing Nankervis but see your point, we probably would have got him at 44. I rate Brown, that hurts reading that he went so late...
    Don't rate Brown at all, he is the slowest player in the league by a long way, I doubt he will be on a list in 2 - 3 years. He makes Nankervis look like Jetta!!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Don't rate Brown at all, he is the slowest player in the league by a long way, I doubt he will be on a list in 2 - 3 years. He makes Nankervis look like Jetta!!
    Are we thinking about the same Brown? The one who regularly marks on a lead, kicks more goals than behinds and generally knows where to be?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    If we are talking about Ben Brown from the Kangaroos, you are deluded about his pace. Lynden Dunn and TMac couldnt catch him. Teddy and Reg wouldn't touch him.

Senior Player
    Sheahan is right. Just for simple reason that with a 12 team comp I will no longer be embarrassed by my world game loving friends when they make jokes about the AFL's ridiculously uneven draw. Seriously though, there is just isn't enough money or talent to go around to support 18 teams. Has anyone noticed just how many completely meaningless games are played each week.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    14 is the magic number. Less teams but a few more games/ rounds. 26 rounds with 2 byes, going all teams a break. 28 rounds including byes.

8 interstates teams, Geelong.

Tasmania, GWS and Gold Coast each get merged with a Melbourne club.

Possible Merging/ gone club: St Kilda, Kangaroos, Melbourne, Bulldogs, Carlton.

Just one Melbourne club gone. But which one....

The powerhouses clubs still remain.

1st bye, Junior championships u16 and 18 games.

2nd bye, Senior Championships games.

Both championships with DIV1: Vic metro, Vic country, SA, WA. DIV 2: NSW, QLD, NT and TAS

Each championships gives 4 games. Fri night, Sat Day, Sat night and Sunday.

Byes around Rds 9-10 and Rds 19-20 or thereabouts.

182 games in new fixture compared to 198 games but with better footy or better lists for each club.

Much more travelling for Melbourne clubs but Eddie wants a "Level playing field" Touche!

Pretty easy..... ha ha ha????????????

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast