Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weakest team for the year?

me too finally we saw our young guys make their mark last week i.e. mitchell, BJ etc standing up when we needed it

Rampe in the midfield last qtr was unbelievable in his determination to chase down anything that moved and caused a few significant turnovers and or free kicks

Hannes will be targeted after looking very ginger

Lets go again lads !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Tried to watch League Teams , but had to turn it off ... Dermott is just a guffawing self obsessed muppet .
    That's funny. I did exactly the same thing. I simply couldn't watch it any more.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Tried to watch League Teams , but had to turn it off ... Dermott is just a guffawing self obsessed muppet .
    Same here. Marngrook Footy Show is MUCH more entertaining so that is where my TV goes Thursday nights. So sick of Dermott/Eddie that I turn off whenever they are on.

I'd be curious to know when we last had a team this inexperienced in terms of total games played take the field, though my guess would be you'd have to go back to the early 2000s. I could be wrong and be forgetting about another horror injury period. During 2013 we still had a few 200+ gamers running around.

Rose, Towers, Jones, Heeney, B.Jack, Cunningham, Lloyd all with less than 50 games. Laidler, Reid and Rampe not far above them. That's almost half the squad.

Senior Player
    Yeah, but it's no like GWS aren't missing a few. Mumford, Shiels, Davis, Scully.... these boys can play footy, there is no doubt.
    If you want to go deep into September you need a deep list and a lot of nerve. I'm still backing us, but I think it will be a brutal game,
    as these young'uns at GWS don't mind roughing up the opposition, and they have absolutely nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Same here. Marngrook Footy Show is MUCH more entertaining so that is where my TV goes Thursday nights. So sick of Dermott/Eddie that I turn off whenever they are on.
    Me too, I just can't stand either of them.

I actually find Dermie more annoying than ddie with his affected toffy style and ever present arrogance.

Senior Player
    League Teams has been unwatchable for years. Years ago my 14 (at the time) year old son said "I can't watch this Dad, it's beneath me, all these guys do is talk over the top of each other and when they are not doing that they are giggling like idiots at their own unfunny jokes". 14 years old and he hit the nail on the head. We haven't
    watched it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    Maybe, they believe that top 4 is not achievable anyway, so they don't want to risk players who are not 100% fit.
    The club should not have played Buddy against Adelaide but they did. He got worse. This injury is a recurrence of an injury he had at Hawks, a pulled muscle in the back with bleeding. Benny has a soft tissue problem and I'd say the fitness staff will be very loathe to bring him back before time as he has already been back and injured again. Parks we know. I wonder if it was Rose who poked Tommy in the eye LOL. Rohan will have to put up with sporadic injuries and soreness due to all the stress his leg has been placed under in the last couple of years.

The worry is we lost reserves players as well. Naismith was injured just when we needed him. Bird is still injured. Hewett has had two injuries this year, one in mid season when he was very close to selection. robbo is out for the season with a broken collarbone.

I agree we should not play any suspect players all should be 100% as you say. I don't know if the club believes 4th is out of the question at all but I don't think in reality anyone at the club believes we can go any further than the first final this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    GWS shortened considerably after the teams were announced which is no surprise. They are good value IMO at $2.75 as this really is our weakest team fior a very long time. Injuries to Robinson and Hewett just when we didn't need them. DANGER GAME!
    I would rather use the term inexperienced than WEAKEST. I think the team has a lot of talent but that talent is still raw in some quarters. Heeney (9), Jones (10), Rose (0), Towers (13), even Harry (47), Lloydy (39), BJ (23) are still a bit raw yet and only one has approached 50 games.

[QUOTE=wolftone57;680156]The club should not have played Buddy against Adelaide but they did. He got worse. This injury is a recurrence of an injury he had at Hawks, a pulled muscle in the back with bleeding. Benny has a soft tissue problem and I'd say the fitness staff will be very loathe to bring him back before time as he has already been back and injured again. Parks we know. I wonder if it was Rose who poked Tommy in the eye LOL. Rohan will have to put up with sporadic injuries and soreness due to all the stress his leg has been placed under in the last couple of years.

Agree 100%.

I know hindsight is great, but you could tell as soon as Buddy ran on to the ground he was hampered with his back injury, and playing only made it worse.

I thought our coaches and medical staff were better than allowing that to happen, as it now may have ruined our top 4 chances. Benny is a real worry as he just cannot shake off his injuries and he will be sorely missed from the team.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I would rather miss the top four and go into the finals with a (fully as possible) fit team than lose players for longer terms in trying to stay in the top four.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Isaac Heeney will have to play a blinder this Saturday to overcome the ribbing he's going to get for his starring performance on the AFL's Friday comedy show: Friday Front Bar: where's TV cash going? - AFL.com.au

It's a pretty funny show and the Heeney bits will be appreciated by Swans fans, except perhaps Heeney's girlfriend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast