Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finals at SCG

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    But Barry, will we ever know. If we stay at the top of the table and memberships continue to rise you could argue it has been a wise move. Then again if they stagnate you could argue the opposite. If we slip down the ladder then a drop in membership could be attributed to the fickleness of the Sydney market or just the nature of supporters. (note big gaps in the crowd at Pies v Tiges match and I bet they weren't Richmond supporters). The club should be able to gauge variations based on the demographics of supporters gained or lost. And what about the walk up non supporters. Not sure if a drop down the ladder would reduce Melbourne memberships as we are so starved of live footy that only a Geelong trip deprives most going to a game here. We could go on and on.
    We will never know, because there are so many variables at play, and it will take a long time to realise.

All I know, is my sample size of 1. Whether I'm common or unusual is not my concern.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Barry, Barry, Barry......The Swans were forced to play at this crap ground by the money obsessed AFL, so you can thank that bunch of dickheads for ever seeing your team in a 'convenient' but in reality, unsuitable venue, that did our team no favours. The Swans never wanted to play there, so common sense prevails....it should always be about the clubs success, not the convenience of lazy supporters or money....
    I have never seen a more factually incorrect sentence. But lets not degrade this debate any further.
    The East has won. Enjoy.

Barry... I live in Strathfield - ANZ is extremely convenient for me to get to.

Pity it's such a cold, soul-less place.

I so prefer the SCG, even if I have to catch a train AND a bus to get there.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I have never seen a more factually incorrect sentence. But lets not degrade this debate any further.
    The East has won. Enjoy.
    Explain the first bit.

For the good of the many.

It's a lot easier for me to get to Olympic Park (I live in Quakers Hill, a bit past Blacktown), but I'd rather go all the way out to the SCG. Better sightlines, better ground surface, better atmosphere, better facilities, and it's where our training and backoffice operations are based.

The ONLY things ANZ has going for it are a larger capacity and better service from public transport and road infrastructure. Once I'm actually THERE, I prefer the SCG in just about every aspect.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Swans Members' Bar is the best thing about ANZ Stadium currently. The best thing about the deal at the time was that it force the SCG to lift their game in terms of keeping the Swans happy. The facilities have greatly improved in recent years and it's a far more pleasant experience at the SCG than it used to be.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    The difference between playing any games at the S.C.G. and ANZ Stadium is that ANZ Stadium is a house whilst the S.C.G is 'OUR HOME'.
    I previously lived in Sydney and distance and travel times was very similar. I liked ANZ Stadium but loved the S.C.G.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Barry... I live in Strathfield - ANZ is extremely convenient for me to get to.

Pity it's such a cold, soul-less place.

I so prefer the SCG, even if I have to catch a train AND a bus to get there.
    I live near Liverpool and also prefer the SCG. I have to drive to the station, catch a train and a bus as well. If I go to ANZ I have to drive to the station, catch a train and then another train. Not much difference.

The fact that so much rugby league is played at ANZ is another reason, on top of all the others why SCG is better.
    If its wet and we play the day after a league game, the ground is going to be a mess.

I'm of the opinion that playing at the SCG against Geelong in the 2005 final helped that little bit to get us over the line.
    It also cost us in the 2003 Prelim against the Lions.

Can't believe we are arguing the toss over barry's ANZ membership again

SCG has a superior surface (in fact ANZ is a disgrace) a much better atmosphere and we play better there. Plus you have Paddington/Surry Hills v Nothing in terms of after match options.

The only advantage ANZ has is a larger attendance but Swans fans have voted with their feet re this and it is no longer a valid argument - 48,000 is more than adequate.

And we are not deserting western Sydney as they now belong to GWS

Olypmic Park is only "western Sydney" if you live in the eastern suburbs.
    It's regarded as the "inner west".
    It's only about 15ks from the city.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Olypmic Park is only "western Sydney" if you live in the eastern suburbs.
    It's regarded as the "inner west".
    It's only about 15ks from the city.
    It might as well be East Dubbo for us inner-city types ????

Would be interesting to see the membership numbers for East v's West. I think East would win, but the Swans do have members that live in the West, and I for one would not give up my membership for a Giants membership. All this talk of East v's West among Swans members is disheartening. We all love the Swans.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast