Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: GWS v Swans

Very proud to be a Swans fan today. I know the Giants threw in the towel but with four pretty big outs from the finals team (5 if you think Parker can come back) it was a good win.

Not many poor players out there today but the main positives for me were
    * Harry Cunningham - he continues to develop as that small forward
    * Tippett's game - like him in the ruck but he got forward a lot today and wad dangerous.
    * Pyke looks a lot better albeit rather inexperience opposition

Towers did some good stuff, I'm not a huge fan and I expect if we can get something for him we'll take him but don't be surprised if he is here in 2016.

And how could you not like Rose's debut.

I am smugly proud of being able to pick them, again. Well done Rosey, youve done me proud. He plays tall, and he can bend his body to fit the situation. Noice.
    Harry had a big day out. He played like a grown up today.
    BJ is going to get better and better. Its in his nature. His moments will increase as his experience does too.
    Towers, well. We don't have 22 start up stars in any team. We do have Stars, Seriously Good, Pretty Darned Good, Good, Not that Fabulous and Does The Job types, and he is a Does The Job type who has actually become better at it each season. You have to admit no team can afford straight out stars only on the list anyway, and he is a good journeyman to have. Like Shaun Dempster was, and look where he is today. Considered very reliable and in contention.... So I don't have a problem with Dean, its not like he is holding down a spot that another player should get.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I am smugly proud of being able to pick them, again. Well done Rosey, youve done me proud. He plays tall, and he can bend his body to fit the situation. Noice.
    Harry had a big day out. He played like a grown up today.
    BJ is going to get better and better. Its in his nature. His moments will increase as his experience does too.
    Towers, well. We don't have 22 start up stars in any team. We do have Stars, Seriously Good, Pretty Darned Good, Good, Not that Fabulous and Does The Job types, and he is a Does The Job type who has actually become better at it each season. You have to admit no team can afford straight out stars only on the list anyway, and he is a good journeyman to have. Like Shaun Dempster was, and look where he is today. Considered very reliable and in contention.... So I don't have a problem with Dean, its not like he is holding down a spot that another player should get.
    They clearly see something in Towers.

Provided we don't get a decent offer and provided he isn't costing us too much I'd be tempted to keep him on

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Yes, but just doing 'well enough' against a team that was flat and playing poorly, translates to being 'unsighted' against a team like the Hawks.
    From what I have seen to date there are lots of well paid players in red and white who have been unsighted against the Hawks.

You can't have them all is actually a decision we made based on list size and salary cap. He is number 26-28 on our list. I'd imagine he comes fairly cheap and he does a job.

I just don't get the hate for someone who didn't roll over in September last year or in consecutive weeks this one.

I agree with the youngsters having a great impact today. The one who impressed for me today was Reid. I love it when his confidence is up and he attacks the footy. Great hands when he is on.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus26 View Post
    I agree with the youngsters having a great impact today. The one who impressed for me today was Reid. I love it when his confidence is up and he attacks the footy. Great hands when he is on.
    Me too. I love watching Reid when he's switched on.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    From what I have seen to date there are lots of well paid players in red and white who have been unsighted against the Hawks.

You can't have them all is actually a decision we made based on list size and salary cap. He is number 26-28 on our list. I'd imagine he comes fairly cheap and he does a job.

I just don't get the hate for someone who didn't roll over in September last year or in consecutive weeks this one.
    I agree with this and I thought he did some good things out there today.

In football parlance he is a squad player. I suspect he has good character, is low maintenance and very coachable and provides a good role model for the youngsters coming through. This aligns to his mature drafting.

He provides a bit of depth to our list and he is improving albeit at a pace that many would like to see be a bit faster.

And I imagine he doesn't take up a lot of salary on our list

If someone offered a decent offer for him you would think we'd look at a trade as he is certainly expendable but I'd like us to see him stick with him - I like a battler

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markus26 View Post
    I though he did some very good things out there today for us, some strong marks. He still drifts in and out of games too much for my liking but if he played like that every week I'd be more than happy

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Red face Who does go?

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Though Teddy was a real stalwart in defence today.
    Absolute blessing of a game. Selection table will be interesting next week.
    Yes a big selection dilemma. Franklin. Mitchell. Rohan and Mcglynn comes in. Who do we drop? Jones, BJ, Towers, Rose??? None of them deserve to be dropped.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post

I will admit my observation on Towers was a bit critical but in no way was intended as 'hateful'. For what it is worth I would be quite happy for him to be kept on our list for next year, especially if Jets moves on. He contributed well today. My opinion is a bit coloured by watching the live stream of a recent Reserves game where he kicked something like 6 points in a row, nearly all from straight-forward set shots when the team desperately needed a goal or two.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Yes a big selection dilemma. Franklin. Mitchell. Rohan and Mcglynn comes in. Who do we drop? Jones, BJ, Towers, Rose??? None of them deserve to be dropped.
    They seem the obvious choices...

I love the story of Rose - he only got his chance due to a raft of injuries in the ones and twos but he took his chances well albeit v a team that had checked out at reception. If that doesn't inspire him work his butt off over the off season then nothing will.

Great atmosphere out there today, I like their ground. It would have been about 70-80 % Sydney fans which was nice for us but really serves to illustrate the challenge they face over the next 10-15 years in building a genuine fan base but I have no complaints re their venue apart from the twat that never shuts up on the PA at half time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I will admit my observation on Towers was a bit critical but in no way was intended as 'hateful'. For what it is worth I would be quite happy for him to be kept on our list for next year, especially if Jets moves on. He contributed well today. My opinion is a bit coloured by watching the live stream of a recent Reserves game where he kicked something like 6 points in a row, nearly all from straight-forward set shots when the team desperately needed a goal or two.
    There's something there they see for sure, I've been critical of him at times but I agree with you re keeping him

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Agree that probably nobody deserves to be dropped after today's effort but at the end of the day sentiment can't come into it as we need to get our best players in the team and playing well together because there is a flag to be won and we are still right in it!

And I'm sure the coaching staff are well aware of this and will make the tough calls in the next 2 weeks to prepare for finals.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Agree that probably nobody deserves to be dropped after today's effort but at the end of the day sentiment can't come into it as we need to get our best players in the team and playing well together because there is a flag to be won and we are still right in it!

And I'm sure the coaching staff are well aware of this and will make the tough calls in the next 2 weeks to prepare for finals.
    Ok so our best players are the ones that have been inspiring us to insipid victories and substantial losses? Ok! I can live with that. But I would like more. i love the way that Rose and other young players injected an excitement into our play. Harry, Lloydy, Rampe, Jetts & believe me when Aliir gets his go too there will be excitement.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast