Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: legends of Sydney football

legends of Sydney football

I've had enough of reading people bagging out the GWS, and arguing about crowd numbers...time for something new...

Let's recognise some legends of our footy comp - I thought of this after reading Norris' comments of Frank K.
    Yes, Frank has been a great contributor to Sydney footy over many years and we are lucky to have had him. Seems to me that he is still able to pretty much keep up with the demands of a modern day match and that's a tribute to him too.

Now, Punters....how about some other rapps for some other legends...Beale, Rendell, Kershaw, McKernan, Physick,...what can we say about these guys ? Who else is there ?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    I've had enough of reading people bagging out the GWS, and arguing about crowd numbers...time for something new...

Let's recognise some legends of our footy comp - I thought of this after reading Norris' comments of Frank K.
    Yes, Frank has been a great contributor to Sydney footy over many years and we are lucky to have had him. Seems to me that he is still able to pretty much keep up with the demands of a modern day match and that's a tribute to him too.

Now, Punters....how about some other rapps for some other legends...Beale, Rendell, Kershaw, McKernan, Physick,...what can we say about these guys ? Who else is there ?
    David Backler is still playing for UNSW/ES. Up until last year at least Butch Uglow was still playing for Mac Uni - not sure about this season.

I remember Backler playing for East Sydney when Robbie Kerr and Neil Cordy (and girlfriend Kirsten or Kristen or something) were involved - has he really been playing for 20 years ?

Almost Football Legend
    Great thread idea Justabaraker.

Troy Luff would be worthy of a nomination. Coming into Sydney AFL after a long AFL career, he's been in our league for 14 years, switching back and forth a few times between Balmain & UNSW-ES. Achieved just about everything except a flag. This year he's with Balmain's undefeated Div 1 side, could this be the year he finally gets to wear a premiership medal?

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Great thread idea Justabaraker.

Troy Luff would be worthy of a nomination. Coming into Sydney AFL after a long AFL career, he's been in our league for 14 years, switching back and forth a few times between Balmain & UNSW-ES. Achieved just about everything except a flag. This year he's with Balmain's undefeated Div 1 side, could this be the year he finally gets to wear a premiership medal?
    Talking of Bridesmaids, it is hard to go past Big Kev Eynaud

St Ives, Mac Uni, North Shore, Wests (twice) and Penno - still seeking that elusive flag after well over 20 years of coaching

Trev Burnett. Out and out champion in SFA and SFL.

I was at Gore Hill one day when they dragged out the old photos.

In the Under 19 Premiers 1980 photo was Frank Kalayzich - that would be 35 years at least that he's been running around.

And then there's David Yole....now there's a name that will be remembered in years to come !!

Almost Football Legend
    The only one matching Frank for longevity on the field would have to be Slipper Kershaw. Played Premier Division as recently as 2010, aged 49, when Campbelltown were short one night at Sydney Uni. Still running round in Div 4 this year.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

And then there's David Yole....now there's a name that will be remembered in years to come !!
    I fine servant of the game (not....)

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I fine servant of the game (not....)
    And the family trust

Backy

I remember Backler playing for East Sydney when Robbie Kerr and Neil Cordy (and girlfriend Kirsten or Kristen or something) were involved - has he really been playing for 20 years ?
    David Backler is still going strong since joining Bulldogs in 1994.

Won Div. 4 goal kicking at age 46 two seasons ago. Won Div. 3 medal (Armstrong?) in 2007 I think it was at age 40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast