Thread: Swans' loss is NFL's gain

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Swans' loss is NFL's gain

What do we need most to match the Hawthorn model? Elite field kicking, hmm? So this happens:

Dickson's American dream - sydneyswans.com.au

And Chris Smith apparently thinks the Roosters play Rugby Union.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Goes up to 11
    Good on the kid - I love seeing Aussies getting the chance to join top-tier college programs like Texas. I hope he does well.

And don't start me on the whole 'rugby' thing!!! (Pet hate)

Good move for the lad. Good education and the chance to earn some big money.

I am surprised more kids don't try their luck at American football. My nephew (a rugby player) became a cult hero in Atlanta, Georgia when on exchange by becoming his school football team's punter. He smashed all their records for longest distances, hang times and averages (and picking up chicks). And he was only in grade 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Good move for the lad. Good education and the chance to earn some big money.

I am surprised more kids don't try their luck at American football. My nephew (a rugby player) became a cult hero in Atlanta, Georgia when on exchange by becoming his school football team's punter. He smashed all their records for longest distances, hang times and averages (and picking up chicks). And he was only in grade 10.
    There are going to be a whole lot more kids trying their luck in American Football. The NFL scouts are coming. They are not just looking for Punters anymore.

The last two weeks has changed the football landscape in Australia forever.

It would not surprise me if they found a good tight end, wide receiver, cornerback or safety out of the AFL World.

Quote Originally Posted by 6'2, 220, 4.53 View Post
    There are going to be a whole lot more kids trying their luck in American Football. The NFL scouts are coming. They are not just looking for Punters anymore.

The last two weeks has changed the football landscape in Australia forever.

It would not surprise me if they found a good tight end, wide receiver, cornerback or safety out of the AFL World.
    Name me one AFL Player you think could play any position other than punter?

The skill set of AFL, apat from kicking, is totally unrelated to Gridiron.

Rugby League fullbacks do that punt return dozens of times a match without padding so Hayne had some really good skills that were very transferrable. And let's not forget Hayne is an absolute freak - having said that I think he would have struggled to make the transfer to AFL just like Israel did.

A bloke some of you may remember, Mark Harris, went over and had a shot at NFL and did OK in the CFL as a punt return as well.

I could see Rugby front rowers possibly being in the scrimmage but I think Hayne is an absolute outlier in terms of his adaptability. Most Australians who make it in Gridiron will need to go over at 20-21 and go through the college system. You seriously think they will forfeit an AFL or NRL career for that?

Don't get me wrong, I am loving this Hayne story as much as anyone but I just don't think we appreciate the hugeness of what is unfolding. Anyone who thinks the floodgates will now open for Aussies in the NFL are a tad optimistic IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Name me one AFL Player you think could play any position other than punter?

The skill set of AFL, apat from kicking, is totally unrelated to Gridiron.

Rugby League fullbacks do that punt return dozens of times a match without padding so Hayne had some really good skills that were very transferrable. And let's not forget Hayne is an absolute freak - having said that I think he would have struggled to make the transfer to AFL just like Israel did.

A bloke some of you may remember, Mark Harris, went over and had a shot at NFL and did OK in the CFL as a punt return as well.

I could see Rugby front rowers possibly being in the scrimmage but I think Hayne is an absolute outlier in terms of his adaptability. Most Australians who make it in Gridiron will need to go over at 20-21 and go through the college system. You seriously think they will forfeit an AFL or NRL career for that?

Don't get me wrong, I am loving this Hayne story as much as anyone but I just don't think we appreciate the hugeness of what is unfolding. Anyone who thinks the floodgates will now open for Aussies in the NFL are a tad optimistic IMO
    I think a 21 year old Buddy would have been a decent bet. He is too old now and would not physically survive the rigours of an NFL preseason.

At 21 Buddy had exceptional speed. He would have clocked a decent 40 yard dash time. He had excellent lateral movement and mobility (still does).

At 21 he would have been a good shot as a wide receiver. He had the height, the pace, the size, and the lateral movement and mobility to run the routs.

Glen Archer is too small, but probably would have enjoyed being a free safety as he would have delivered Ronnie Lott style hits.

You could argue that Travis Cloke could be a candidate for Tight End. He has great catching ability and the body to block. He is also too old and is actually small compared to the great NFL tight ends such as Gronk.

I could see an athlete like West Coast Josh Kennedy being a decent linebacker. He has good athleticism and would have been 10 kilos heavier if trained as a linebacker.

Jeremy Howe may be a chance as a corner back. His vertical leap and hands would impress. He is still young, but probably has a question mark over his raw speed and toughness to play corner. You can't see him being Richard Sherman.

I can't find a position for Nat Fyfe. Too slow for the NFL.

Dangerfield has the pace and probably enough power to be able to match it with the NFL athletes. Potentially a wide receiver, corner back and safety. I can't see him following Hayne when on the verge of signing one of the AFL biggest contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by 6'2, 220, 4.53 View Post
    I think a 21 year old Buddy would have been a decent bet. He is too old now and would not physically survive the rigours of an NFL preseason.

At 21 Buddy had exceptional speed. He would have clocked a decent 40 yard dash time. He had excellent lateral movement and mobility (still does).

At 21 he would have been a good shot as a wide receiver. He had the height, the pace, the size, and the lateral movement and mobility to run the routs.

Glen Archer is too small, but probably would have enjoyed being a free safety as he would have delivered Ronnie Lott style hits.

You could argue that Travis Cloke could be a candidate for Tight End. He has great catching ability and the body to block. He is also too old and is actually small compared to the great NFL tight ends such as Gronk.

I could see an athlete like West Coast Josh Kennedy being a decent linebacker. He has good athleticism and would have been 10 kilos heavier if trained as a linebacker.

Jeremy Howe may be a chance as a corner back. His vertical leap and hands would impress. He is still young, but probably has a question mark over his raw speed and toughness to play corner. You can't see him being Richard Sherman.

I can't find a position for Nat Fyfe. Too slow for the NFL.

Dangerfield has the pace and probably enough power to be able to match it with the NFL athletes. Potentially a wide receiver, corner back and safety. I can't see him following Hayne when on the verge of signing one of the AFL biggest contracts.
    If Buddy or any of those players had gone through the college system at 20 I agree they may have had a shot out the other end.

But why would they give up a guaranteed AFL career for a minute possibility five years down the track of a NFL career? And when they get to 26-27 it's too late. It just illustrates what an incredible achievement Hayne's effort is and there is no-one in AFL that can run the lines like he does, that is part instinct part having done it in rugby league for the last 20 years. Let's not forget he was the best open play runner in the NRL by a fair way.

I just cannot get enough of the Hayne story. Such a humble lad from modest beginnings and he is not getting bigheaded or anything. How some of our other sportsmen could learn from him (tennis anyone?.....)

If Buddy or any of those players had gone through the college system at 20 I agree they may have had a shot out the other end.

But why would they give up a guaranteed AFL career for a minute possibility five years down the track of a NFL career? And when they get to 26-27 it's too late. It just illustrates what an incredible achievement Hayne's effort is and there is no-one in AFL that can run the lines like he does, that is part instinct part having done it in rugby league for the last 20 years. Let's not forget he was the best open play runner in the NRL by a fair way.

I just cannot get enough of the Hayne story. Such a humble lad from modest beginnings and he is not getting bigheaded or anything. How some of our other sportsmen could learn from him (tennis anyone?.....)
    Spot on Mug. What a story Hayne is.

Is just huge. The Bay Area and Australia are enthralled.

If he makes the 53 man squad, Monday mornings will have every Australian on their phones checking NFL.com to look at Haynes stats.

Goes up to 11
    No wonder Hayne spurned the AFLs advances to join GWS. He'd be happy about that choice at the moment.

Funny how things could have turned out - GWS would have had a much better level of acceptance in the west if they'd snared Hayne. Instead they lumped for Folau which was pretty much an expensive flop. Who knows - Hayne might have become an AFL superstar, GWS wouldn't have needed Buddy, and we could have avoided the ridiculous trade ban. Drawing a long now I know but who knows???

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    No wonder Hayne spurned the AFLs advances to join GWS. He'd be happy about that choice at the moment.

Funny how things could have turned out - GWS would have had a much better level of acceptance in the west if they'd snared Hayne. Instead they lumped for Folau which was pretty much an expensive flop. Who knows - Hayne might have become an AFL superstar, GWS wouldn't have needed Buddy, and we could have avoided the ridiculous trade ban. Drawing a long now I know but who knows???
    I think Hayne would have been a much better chance than Israel in AFL but ironically I think his chances may have been better at the NFL, think AFL is a very tough game to pick up late in life.

I think Hayne would have been a much better chance than Israel in AFL but ironically I think his chances may have been better at the NFL, think AFL is a very tough game to pick up late in life.
    He would have been an excellent AFL player if his heart was in it. It's credit to him that he did not take the GWS deal as it would have been a huge amount of money for him at the time.

Hayne looks so natural on an NFL field, even more so than on a Rugby League field.

The San Fran 49ers have had a terrible off season with guys getting arrested, changing the Head Coach and some good players prematurely retiring. Hayne is the Franchises ray of hope in dark times and every body is behind him.

Great day of sport Mug. The 49ers on from 11am until around 2.30pm, the Swans start at 3.00 pm.