Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 21: Aspley Hornets v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Graham Road

Warming the Bench
    Yeh I watched the game today, Rose does have that swagger and poise, i think he will be our surprise packet, can tackle, evade and he is a good kick, I think he has something special????

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Sydney Swans
    Goal Kickers: L. Behagg 3, J. Foote 2, T. Nankervis 2, J. Rose, A. Davis, T. Derickx, G. Hewett, E. Prescott
    Best Players: A. Aliir, H. Marsh, C. Bird, J. Rose, B. McGlynn, G. Hewett
    Just on what I saw - most of second and fourth quarters - I'd find a place for Hebron in there somewhere, e.g. in front of Hewett.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I saw your previous post and it said Hebron 59. But 59 is Behagg and 54 Hebron. So which one were you impressed with

Senior Player
    I saw your previous post and it said Hebron 59. But 59 is Behagg and 54 Hebron. So which one were you impressed with
    Personally, Hebron (54). Composed, reads the play well, not afraid to take a contested mark in defence. Is he an academy player?

I see Bird and McGlynn made the bests, but it was hard to tell they were such experienced AFL players. They looked to fit in with the NEAFL players quite well.

Rose and Aliir were the standouts for me.

I thought Davis was very solid. He always seems at ease on the field wherever he plays. I like the fact he he's been played mostly through the midfield. Perhaps we have a role for him in the future similar to a Jarrad Roughead or Goodes, where he can play forward but spend plenty of time in the midfield as well.

A bit like Davis, Hewett also seems comfortable wherever he finds himself on the field. He has a very solid all around game. I think his disposal is quite good, especially by foot. Despite being only 19, it's hard to find a weakness in his game.

Jack Hiscox has a lot of work to do on his disposal before he can reach a level of playing seniors. There's more to the game than just running well.

I also thought Tom Derickx played one of his best games of the year. Was often proactive. Took some good marks and kicked a good 4th qtr goal from a tight angle. Bounced up quickly the times he fell over. Some good ruckwork as well.

I would like to see us try Aliir in the ruck sometime. He has played there as a junior, so he does have some of the basics. I don't know if his game is disciplined enough to play as a defender. Although he's a bit on the short side for a ruckman, he's got a good leap and would be dangerous around the ground. I can see him as a Paddy Ryder type ruckman.

Jake Brown made a few mistakes, but did plenty to suggest that he will be drafted from our academy next year.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Did Mills play?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    My mistake - I had the number right but the name wrong. Behagg is the one I meant. But I do remember checking Hebron's number after being impressed with something he'd done.

And thanks for the detail you attend to here ugg - much appreciated as always.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Our @NEAFLofficial semi final against @AspleyFC has been scheduled for 12pm Saturday 5th September at Graham Road Aspley #goswans#NEAFL

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Personally, Hebron (54). Composed, reads the play well, not afraid to take a contested mark in defence. Is he an academy player?
    Yes he is, a St Ives Junior

Wouldn't imagine he'd go early in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Did Mills play?
    Yes he did. I only saw the end of the 3rd qtr and the whole 4th qtr and it appeared he was playing a half back type role. Got a bit of the ball in link up plays and seemed fairly clean as usual. Don't know how much he played before that or how well but from what I saw he will certainly improve for the run and will be a good player in finals if his body holds up! Interesting to note that he also took quite a few of the kick ins from full back.

What was worrying and something that I haven't seen anyone else mention is that Newman could be seen running off the ground in the 4th qtr with what looked like a dislocated shoulder (or worse) and did not return. That could hurt our finals chances this year in the NEAFL.

I'm only up to half time in watching the replay and Mills hasn't appeared yet

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I see Bird and McGlynn made the bests, but it was hard to tell they were such experienced AFL players. They looked to fit in with the NEAFL players quite well.

Rose and Aliir were the standouts for me.

I thought Davis was very solid. He always seems at ease on the field wherever he plays. I like the fact he he's been played mostly through the midfield. Perhaps we have a role for him in the future similar to a Jarrad Roughead or Goodes, where he can play forward but spend plenty of time in the midfield as well.

A bit like Davis, Hewett also seems comfortable wherever he finds himself on the field. He has a very solid all around game. I think his disposal is quite good, especially by foot. Despite being only 19, it's hard to find a weakness in his game.

Jack Hiscox has a lot of work to do on his disposal before he can reach a level of playing seniors. There's more to the game than just running well.

I also thought Tom Derickx played one of his best games of the year. Was often proactive. Took some good marks and kicked a good 4th qtr goal from a tight angle. Bounced up quickly the times he fell over. Some good ruckwork as well.

I would like to see us try Aliir in the ruck sometime. He has played there as a junior, so he does have some of the basics. I don't know if his game is disciplined enough to play as a defender. Although he's a bit on the short side for a ruckman, he's got a good leap and would be dangerous around the ground. I can see him as a Paddy Ryder type ruckman.

Jake Brown made a few mistakes, but did plenty to suggest that he will be drafted from our academy next year.

Aliir rucked against Suns. He was pretty good too. I agree on Davis and thought he should have been in the best players. Couldn't see why Marsh got in the best yet again. Confused. Thought there were far better out there yesterday. he made some ball handling errors, one that was costly and several that easily could have been costly. did some good things once he got it but definitely not a one touch player. I thought birdie made a lot of mistakes for a senior player playing at this level. He got caught taking the second option instead of dishing off first time. Some of his disposal was really scrappy too.

While I like Rose I thought young Behag was really good. He gave us a very good option up forward. McLaren leads well and gets to the contest but I have seldom seen him take a mark. He simply drops the pill when he should clunk them, even the easy ones. I thought Foote was good and hard but needs to find a way to dish off when he gets caught. Keep the arms free Jordan. Tough bugger though.

Aliir is very good and he is developing his body well. He is very agile and flexible as he can play anywhere. Davis and Aliir are probably our two most flexible players. X did pretty well on a very good forward.

Aspley are a very good side. This footy club have recruited very well, either ex AFL players, players who have been on AFL lists or top juniors in the Queensland comp. Smart footy club. Same as Sydney Uni did this season Aspley did last season.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast