Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 21: Aspley Hornets v Sydney Swans Reserves @ Graham Road

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Marsh and Hewett named in the NEAFL Team of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The Swans players and coaches always talk about playing your role when you get a chance at senior level, so we should rephrase the question to what kind of role could Marsh fill in the senior team.

Whilst he has played as a key defender in the reservesin some matches, I sincerely do not think he would be able to replicate this role in the seniors. So he would have to become either a 3rd/medium defender in the mould of Malceski, Mattner or Laidler or a small defender (Smith) or running halfback (Shaw). Despite his pace I don't think he provides enough run to become Shaw's successor and his forays as a small defender have had mixed results. Where he has really excelled this year is as that 3rd defender who knows when to peel off his man to help his key defenders.

Hence I think being a medium defender is his best chance but will he ever get an opportunity ahead of the current setup, and possibly have Newman to contend with for that spot in the coming years. Also don't forget the list management side of things and with most of our draft picks possibly tied up with Mills and Dunkley, they may prefer having Marsh on the list as a ready-made depth (physically speaking) than an 18 year straight out of the Under 18 system.
    Thanks, Ugg, for your thoughtful, incisive comments. I agree about Marsh's role as a third/medium defender. Would you say then that Rampe and Laidler are his main competition? I can't see him overtaking Rampe in the short-medium term but his game is not dissimilar to Laids and so possibly with more development he could challenge for that spot given another year? I also agree we may spend our high picks on Mills/Dunkley and draft less in a shallow draft and perhaps upgrade Naismith and Newman which perhaps bodes better for Marsh. That said, what we really need in our back 6 is better rebound and ball distribution and I think Newman is more promising in that regard so perhaps it could be the end for Marsh and the Swans but hopefully not for Marsh.

I wonder if we would be able to trade him. I can envisage him being picked up if he were delisted. Could West Coast be a destination for him given he is from WA? On the one hand they are running short of defenders on the other that is only due to injury and the replacements have done well so perhaps they have plenty of depth. So far as I'm aware Freo seem ok in this department. Alternatively maybe someone desperate like Brisbane or Carlton might be interested?

Incidentally, do your comments imply you reckon we are likely to pursue Dunkley and maybe land both him and Mills? I've taken it as a given we will spend what we have to to get Mills but been doubtful whether we'd be able to afford the picks to get Dunkley too although it would be wonderful if we could.

Am I reading it wrong? Aliir was our best player?? With 8 disposals?? Were they all pin point goal assists? He rucked didn't he? Must've had all 55 hitouts and all to advantage.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Am I reading it wrong? Aliir was our best player?? With 8 disposals?? Were they all pin point goal assists? He rucked didn't he? Must've had all 55 hitouts and all to advantage.
    He's a defender. If he did a good defensive job on a dangerous opponent, it's certainly possible for him to be assessed as the Swans' best. Also bear in mind that the Swans coaching staff seem to hand out game ratings based on expectations / roles than on an absolute basis. It's not uncommon for players who have looked to be dominant to observers not to mention in the coaches' lists of best players.

Aliir spent the first 3 quarters in defence, mostly on Nelis, then moved forward in the first part of the last quarter and was one of the reasons the side kicked ahead in the last quarter. Despite not scoring a goal himself, he hit the packs hard, brought the ball to ground and created opportunities for his teammates to capitalise upon. He then moved back to the defence and made some telling plays as the Swans hung on to their lead. And no he didn't ruck

I certainly have no qualms with the coaches giving him our best player on the ground honours.

Ahhh fair points, well made by Liz & Ugg

& I know AA is a defender, but I thought I read somewhere here on RWO that he had rucked at some time?

I think he rucked at junior level but at NEAFL level he has only rucked in a handful of games and even then not for particularly long periods. He's almost been exclusively used as a key defender, and Saturday was the first time (that I can recall anyway) that he's played forward for us.

I think he rucked at junior level but at NEAFL level he has only rucked in a handful of games and even then not for particularly long periods. He's almost been exclusively used as a key defender, and Saturday was the first time (that I can recall anyway) that he's played forward for us.
    I think I read that he was transformed into a defender when he moved to WA. Aliir certainly has some ability. He's still young and it's hard to know how much upside he has. He could be another Alex Rance or a total flop. It took Rance quite a while to get his game right. If we get lucky with our other developing key defenders, I could see Aliir as a possible ruck option. I like a ruckman who can be dangerous around the ground.

Aliir in my opinion will make the transition to a Snr player

he has been constantly injured and he and X can certainly make it as Key Defenders

If Aliir gets a good run without injuries 2016/17 he will be ready to take on a role...............remembering he is still on 20 and a late comer to a skill development background

I am happy if he doesn't start being a real choice until 2017 and 22 yrs of age which is about right for a key defender

Just think of Teddys pathway to get to Snrs as a key defender or Regs
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Regular in the Side
    I don't get the love affair the coaches have with Aliir and Marsh either unless they are trying to build them up as trade bait. Compare Aliir eight disposals 1st and Marsh nine third on the best players list while Foote with twenty five disposals, seven tackles and two goals does not rate a mention. Was at the GWS game and was very unimpressed with the foot skills of Aliir, McLaren and Hiscox who all were scrubbing their kicks not that they got too many.

Aliir is a good kick, he takes the second most kick ins after Newman. It's his decision making that can be questionable at times. The coaches like the offensive side of his game so much he's been used as an attacking rebounder in some games

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast