Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Round 22: Saints and Swans

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    No. He obviously didn't give us much bang for buck on the field, but go and listen to Richard Colless or talk to him (Colless) about 1994 when Colless came into the club. Off the field Dermie was one of the trio of sales guys (along with Colless and Barassi) who sold the game successfully enough to improve the off-field part of the club to the point where it pointed in the right direction. The football side followed.
    That's ok but why the hate for our club? Off the field he might have been bang for buck but he got big bucks too. He then went to Collingwood where he was really in retirement earning a motza. Pies at that stage had the worst recruiting strategies in the AFL. Dermie has always been a good self promoter and I don't doubt his influence off the field helped promote the club. But in the end it comes down to who really cares about your club and is going to stick around when the chips are down.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    His off-field antics included a close brush with a fellow at Coogee Beach that could easily have ended nastily. Not much return to the club there.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    His off-field antics included a close brush with a fellow at Coogee Beach that could easily have ended nastily. Not much return to the club there.
    Dermie is a thorough pig of a man

As they say, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    I'm with you. I would prefer to play the dockers in week one than either west coast or the Hawks.

Freo are beatable if we play our best and don't lose the mental battle.
    Me too.

And, bloodthirsty, I would rather play North or the Crows (who seem to be our bunnies) than the Dockers, no question. It's the others in the top 4 that worry me most, starting with Hawthorn.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    That's ok but why the hate for our club?
    His hate for us seems to have started after we won the 2012 GF. We beat his beloved Hawks and he gave us no credit for it. He is a bitter man!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Hanners needs at least 7 votes to win the AFL Coaches' Champion Player of the Year award

AFL COACHES’ VOTES – ROUND 22 - AFL Players

Not much mention of Sam Reids game yesterday. Among a host of good players I thought he was right up there. If he can keep up a run of form into the finals he is the kind of weapon which can really help us go a long way into Sept/Oct ...

The pleasing thing about Reid is that he putting together whole games week in week out at a high level now.. What I liked about yesterdays game was there were no real passengers that I can think of..

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Not much mention of Sam Reids game yesterday. Among a host of good players I thought he was right up there. If he can keep up a run of form into the finals he is the kind of weapon which can really help us go a long way into Sept/Oct ...
    I thought Sam was fantastic. He's really starting to read the play well and doing a great job of just knowing the spots he needs to get to, I think the time spent as a utility playing all around the ground has been fantastic for him; some forwards deliver perfect passes going into forward 50 because they know where they would want the ball to be kicked to themselves, but Sam seems to me like he's taken a slightly different learning path of time spent out of the forward line has made him realise where he would want a forward to be. A minor thing- but for defenders I feel like he's gone from providing a bail out kick option on the wing (coach-drilled-in behaviour) to starting to also work towards being open a little more and providing a better true marking option on the wing (player-learned-experience behaviour).
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678