Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freo request to 'rest' players

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    This is the best/only good argument I've heard why they shouldn't be able to rest their players. I agree that otherwise they have earned the right. Stevoswan you've got nothing backing up your view.
    You are right.......just bias and the wish for something to go our way for a change. My stance has nothing legal to back it up, much like our trade ban......

Veterans List
    Expect their reserves team to front in Adelaide next Saturday. They will be nice and rested for our final against them.

If we think we've got Gold Coast covered, and we should have, maybe we may rest two or three. Expect to see Lloyd, Bird and Rose playing next week.

This just shows how valuable/costly games are that were won or lost by narrow margins. In reality, Freo have just fallen over the line several times in the last half of the season, they could easily have been 4th or 5th if oppositions had kicked straight against them.

On the Rookie List
    The AFL will love the prospect of a refreshed Fremantle side killing Sydney in Perth.

Having said that, most of our players could do with a continuous run of touch and form.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    You are right.......just bias and the wish for something to go our way for a change. My stance has nothing legal to back it up, much like our trade ban......
    I love the concession! What's wrong with bias as a reason anyway!? Especially if you own it.

However, I don't think it's beneficial to feel too much like we're victims. Really we Sydney clubs should feel that we have the upper hand and make that clear to the powers that be in Melbourne (albeit perhaps it might work better if we do it behind closed doors because, dare I say it, the Victorians (Swans' & Lions' fans excluded) have a bit of a chip on their shoulders). We are key to the AFL's success and I think that just became more apparent with the massive TV rights deal. Does the AFL think they would have done that well without the growing Sydney market?? It is entirely possible that the Buddy deal and the Swans academy in particular had tangible impacts on that deal. They certainly seem to have helped growing the game in Sydney and the Swans' membership numbers which are higher now than they were after 2005 or even 2012. The Swans' success is due in significant part to those factors and the Swans' success is vital to securing audiences in Sydney, which is Australia's biggest market and population - and that is what, in significant part is bringing in the big $$ for the AFL. We can be the next BCCI and should throw our weight around!

On the veteran's list
    Swans can play it by ear. Both top four contenders play before us. Unless Richmond has a massive win (may lose) or bullies have a massive massive win the Swans will hold fourth on % even with a small loss. They may be tempted to play their emergencies and leave out a few fatigued guns.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Swans can play it by ear. Both top four contenders play before us. Unless Richmond has a massive win (may lose) or bullies have a massive massive win the Swans will hold fourth on % even with a small loss. They may be tempted to play their emergencies and leave out a few fatigued guns.
    Swans cant afford to flirt with form, and some under-done players need gametime (buddy, Rohan, etc), so not a case of who to leave out, but who to squeeze in.

It will be a case of playing full strength this week. Get the 1st final 22 playing together one week out. We can rest in week two of the finals.
    Week one is our grand final.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    I wouldn't tempt fate but IF the Tiges lose and there is plenty of margin for error I wouldn't mind seeing some minor tinkering.

I would expect that any players carrying niggkes would be rested and I'd be keen to see Rose and maybe Hewett given runs. Apart from that I wouldn't make any major changes

It's simple. Regardless of other results, if resting a given player improves our chances of winning the flag, they should be rested, otherwise they play...

Rest someone to give Rose a full game.
    It's a no brainer .
    He's a beauty .

If you are not in the best 22 now you won't be playing till 2016.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I wouldn't tempt fate but IF the Tiges lose and there is plenty of margin for error I wouldn't mind seeing some minor tinkering.

I would expect that any players carrying niggkes would be rested and I'd be keen to see Rose and maybe Hewett given runs. Apart from that I wouldn't make any major changes
    Well Tigers won't lose because Roos are going to rest players and I think it is ironic that the AFL allows this to happen and yet punished the swans with trade ban and restrictions when they did nothing wrong.

I think they should introduce a week off between regular H@A season and the finals for all teams in top 8 and all this crap about resting players wouldn't be required. Just my opinion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast