Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Freo request to 'rest' players

I don't mind that Freo is resting players, but I don't like it that Kangaroos are allowed to do the same. I saw a video on AFL website where there was a comment about this precedence because it impacts the ladder positions of others at the bottom of the top 8. Next year we might have lots of that "match fixing" situations. I still remember how angry some supporters were last year when we decided to do the same allowing Richmond to win and closed the top 8 for others.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    I don't mind that Freo is resting players, but I don't like it that Kangaroos are allowed to do the same. I saw a video on AFL website where there was a comment about this precedence because it impacts the ladder positions of others at the bottom of the top 8. Next year we might have lots of that "match fixing" situations. I still remember how angry some supporters were last year when we decided to do the same allowing Richmond to win and closed the top 8 for others.
    It's only bad when the Swans do it. If Hawthorn were to do it, it would be brilliant strategy & a well earned right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I am with you Ajax. Tantamount to tanking by Freo. I am sure the TV stations don't like the resting of players. Imagine if Chelsea rested players against lower teams in the EPL. The fans would be outraged.

I don't get how a national competition can be so manipulated in so many ways.
    +1

Opti-pessi-misti
    If you think you have to rest players in order to win, maybe you don't deserve to win.

I think Adelaide have a right to be annoyed!

Could mean that North earn themselves a trip to Sydney if we lose.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Could mean that North earn themselves a trip to Sydney if we lose.
    That would be a considerable silver lining if we were to lose on the weekend. Would like nothing more than handing Norf their asses on a platter in a final. I'm almost at the stage I'd prefer a Hawks flag than a Norf flag.

I detest them and their coach is at the top of the list...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatorog View Post
    I don't mind that Freo is resting players, but I don't like it that Kangaroos are allowed to do the same.
    I agree with this sentiment as that can impact the other ladder positions, but I no longer see the AFL and integrity as one and the same and should not be mentioned in the same sentence.
    There argument may well be that if one team is allowed to do it then they cannot deny another team doing the same thing (as long as it is not the bottom teams as that is looked on as tanking).
    Pity they didn't take the same stance when they took COLA from us but left the Giants with theirs and hijacked the academy system. A quote below from Gillon in the age below pertaining to resting players.

The rules haven't been broken, and the rules are difficult to change to pick up all the circumstances like this."

"How do you not allow it if it's within the rules?

"[If] you say 'OK let's manufacture a rule that actually stops this. The issue is actually one of implementation because any rule you have has to apply in every situation."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/...#ixzz3kio0bHTZ
    Follow us: @canberratimes on Twitter | CanberraTimes on Facebook
    Last edited by YvonneH; 4th September 2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Found an interesting quote

Goes up to 11
    Surely we couldn't punish a team that hasn't broken any rules could we???????????

Hmmmm.....

The hypocrisy is gobsmacking.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Slliding Doors on afl.com.au interesting this week. Seems like Barrett feels the same way as us(for a change!). About 6 sarcastic references to AFL 'Integrity' and North, and also an interesting comment on the Swans. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-0...doors-round-23

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234