Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freo request to 'rest' players

Freo request to 'rest' players

Article on AFL.com.au says Freo are requesting the AFL allow them to rest players next week as it will have no bearing on their position (1st) or their opposition (who will not make the finals).

It will have a bearing on who plays them the following week (at this stage that is us) but may well be Richmond or Bulldogs.

If the AFL gives their permission then (as we all know) there is no integrity involved in the AFL anymore.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Really?

Seems silly they even have to request. They've earnt the right to set up as they want imo.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The request is really just a heads up for the bookmakers so they don't get screwed over when they set their prices for this match. They already have Port as overwhelming favorites

I agree they have the right to field whatever team they wish (as any team should), but if you are at the bottom of the ladder it is called 'tanking'.
    I also don't think they should have to ask permission to do it. They could have just come out and said they are resting players.

They do have to request permission because the AFL changed the rules. I think they should be permitted to field whatever side suits them, including resting half the squad. They earned the position to do so. But they also risk messing with touch and form in the process.
    Seems to me that the week off after a victory in a Qualifying Final is a great additional motivator to win. How motivated will you be if you're already coming off a week's rest?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    May I just remind everyone that we also rested players against Richmond last year although probably not to the extent that Freo are planning

You beat me to it Ugg.
    You'd be silly if you didn't rest a few of the top tier.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Article on AFL.com.au says Freo are requesting the AFL allow them to rest players next week as it will have no bearing on their position (1st) or their opposition (who will not make the finals).

It will have a bearing on who plays them the following week (at this stage that is us) but may well be Richmond or Bulldogs.

If the AFL gives their permission then (as we all know) there is no integrity involved in the AFL anymore.
    Will have an influence over the order of this years draft though. Teams sitting 9-12 are within 4 points of each other. Collingwood with the best percentage could finish 9th if Port v (Freo), GWS v (Melb) and Geelong v (Adelaide) all lose.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post

Really????

They deserve it. We'd probably do it. So would other teams.

Nothing to see here....

Yep. They've earned the right to rest players so good luck to them. Had the Eagles won yesterday it might have been different of course.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Really????

They deserve it. We'd probably do it. So would other teams.

Nothing to see here....
    Except for a bunch of fresh Freo players possibly carving US up on their home turf in week one of the finals....stuff them, the only things they've 'earned' are a double chance and a home final. Fatigue is no excuse on the tennis court, and shouldn't be on the footy field.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Will have an influence over the order of this years draft though. Teams sitting 9-12 are within 4 points of each other. Collingwood with the best percentage could finish 9th if Port v (Freo), GWS v (Melb) and Geelong v (Adelaide) all lose.
    This is the best/only good argument I've heard why they shouldn't be able to rest their players. I agree that otherwise they have earned the right. Stevoswan you've got nothing backing up your view.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast