Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Qualifying Final Freo v Sydney Pre Match Discussion

If you look at freo.
    1) rest players
    2) patchy recent form
    3) asking for a longer break .

This is what a tired, injured team does. They sound ripe for the picking

Bird looked tired and sore in the ressies feed that I watched on Sat. I'd be very surprised if he is selected for a final on Subi.

McGlynn is probably not quite 100%, but you know he'll give 100% and I believe he is next in line after McV and Smooch to come back in...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If you look at freo.
    1) rest players
    2) patchy recent form
    3) asking for a longer break .

This is what a tired, injured team does. They sound ripe for the picking
    I think it'd be at our own peril to talk down Freo but has there ever been as much speculation about a minor premiership side. When was the last time minor premiers had a percentage of 118% or less? I think they've either been preserving themselves very well for the finals or theyve completely fallen apart. Only the weekend will tell. Feeling pretty tense about it

The bookies are giving Sydney bugger all hope of winning this game .
    So that will suit us .
    They will let Swans supporters have about 10 tickets for the game.
    If the Swans play with a nothing to lose attitude , and our bottom six play very very well ... Then ,
    It will be an upset !

Heart says a stirring, heart stopping, come from behind victory by 4 pts. Head says a frustrating loss by 30 pts. Nothing to lose Swannies.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Bird looked tired and sore in the ressies feed that I watched on Sat. I'd be very surprised if he is selected for a final on Subi.

McGlynn is probably not quite 100%, but you know he'll give 100% and I believe he is next in line after McV and Smooch to come back in...
    Ignoring that great footy cliche, if we don't take it one week at a time then I suspect McGlynn would be likely to come in for the next final- so we probably need to think of whether a full game in the magoos or a quarter as the sub (assuming he wouldn't play out a full game) would be better for him.

I have no idea, I should add!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Bay 345, Row J. I assume it's a Sydney bay...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Opti-pessi-misti
    The Swans have got to play this game like its the GF (or perhaps not!) because to win and have the week's rest could be vital to going all the way.

It will be very interesting to see how they handle the finals pressure, especially those players who disappeared from sight in last year's GF. Hopefully KT and Sam can carry their good form of the last few games forward. Our back line is going to have to be a whole lot sharper than it was last Saturday. Having Buddy, Rohan, Macca, Smithy and Benny, if he is in, potentially all a bit rusty is going to be a factor.

However if they are all focussed as a team and play with the bloods ethos, ie doggedly scrapping but with a touches of class, they can cause a big Swan-style upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Bay 345, Row J. I assume it's a Sydney bay...
    Good one mate.

Lets hope you can repeat your 2003 interstate finals success

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    I think it'd be at our own peril to talk down Freo but has there ever been as much speculation about a minor premiership side. When was the last time minor premiers had a percentage of 118% or less? I think they've either been preserving themselves very well for the finals or theyve completely fallen apart. Only the weekend will tell. Feeling pretty tense about it
    You make a good point regarding percentage. I have, in the past, used a percentage ladder to see where teams are at, with some success.

If you look at it that way, WC and Hawthorn are miles ahead, so we are blessed not to have to play them.
    We are 125%, they are 118%. Horses for courses really.

Considering our year, we have fallen into about the best finals scenario we could hope for. Up to us to make the most of it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Ignoring that great footy cliche, if we don't take it one week at a time then I suspect McGlynn would be likely to come in for the next final- so we probably need to think of whether a full game in the magoos or a quarter as the sub (assuming he wouldn't play out a full game) would be better for him.

I have no idea, I should add!
    Reserves eliminated on the weekend.....they're out! So no more back up games for those trying to squeeze in. McGlynn to come in, in my opinion. Straight swap for KJ?

With Parker and KJ out, then the need is someone to fill those roles - would McVeigh do it for 4 quarters or continue only an occasional appearance; BJ maybe to step up; probably not Lloyd or Towers; McGlynn probably underdone.

Mr September for me is BJ

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast