Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Buddy (merged thread)

Yet another week where I am SO glad to follow this club and am so proud to be a supporter. Contrast it with what's going on at the Eels, for example, and it's chalk and cheese.

I love it when Buddy's clean shaven too. He looks great!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

quote of the week !

"Bend it........dare i say.....like Buddy" !!!!!!

Bud from memory is averaging just over 3 goals a game like he did for the Hawks and he hasn't even got started at the Swans until 2016 season in my opinion

could you imagine not having him in our team last 3 seasons ?

Buddy at the SCG every second game of a season is just a brilliant move by everyone !!!!

TV
    Bloods Supporters
    AFL
    and the Bloods

!!!!!

if he is injured for a season it doesn't look as compelling but right now it is champagne football !!!

most impressive
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Interesting article at the SMH too. Not sure how they reckon Buddy is 31 though, but good apart from that error.

Swans coach John Longmire played a key role in Buddy Franklin's recovery
    Bit I thought was interesting was how we employ a clinical psychologist whereas other clubs employ a sports psychologist.

The Buddy story is the highlight of the season so far for me. He really does look like he is enjoying his footy and looking back he really was not himself last year.

As someone who unfortunately knows first hand how debilitating and completely destructive mental illness can be I really respect the courage he has shown in dealing with this in the public sphere and in his own understated way becoming a role model.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Yet another week where I am SO glad to follow this club and am so proud to be a supporter. Contrast it with what's going on at the Eels, for example, and it's chalk and cheese.

I love it when Buddy's clean shaven too. He looks great!
    Off topic but did you know that Parramatta means 'the place where the eels lie down'?
    (Burra=eel & matta=creek)

Made me laugh a little
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Veterans List
    This week Liam Pickering was on Open Mike and he spoke about the Buddy deal. I thought people might be interested so I noted some points down.

Discussions started in Jan 2013 during the Sydney Test. Pickering attends it every year with Longmire and Buddy was in Sydney to be with Jesinta. There was a meeting at Andrew Ireland's place.

Contract extension talks with the Hawks were put on hold after he had a car accident. The press knew where he lived and he was getting journalists and photographers around his house so he was uncomfortable and wanted to wait before committing to the Hawks. He was being hassled so much that he moved into an apartment to get away and left his house empty. So because he was with Jesinta he brought up moving to Sydney.

Clarkson expected Buddy to leave because the Hawks gave a deadline of July for their offer which he didn't accept. The Swans put their offer in during the 2013 Finals. Pickering told Clarkson after the GF that Buddy was accepting the swans offer and Clarkson was upset because he assumed he was going to GWS.

Pickering thought during the year that Buddy would change his mind and stay with the Hawks.

Pickering said if the AFL knew about the deal he was sure that they would not have allowed it to be done because they wanted him at the Giants as they were their baby.

He said it was purely a "contract" deal. (I'm not sure what he means by this). An investigation was performed to tick it all off. It was all in the salary cap and we had done nothing wrong. Everyone was interviewed and asked about who spoke to who and when.

Buddy was a restricted free agent and the Hawks could have matched the deal which people seem to overlook.

If GWS had found out sooner they would have ran to the AFL and everyone would have been up in arms because we just got Tippett.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    That last point is pretty important. I wondered why Lance would visit GWS but it may have held them back until things were finalised with the Swans, so a good move in the end.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

It still gives me joy to how many Hawthorn supporters we pissed off.

Had to rename their dogs and get tattoos removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    He said it was purely a "contract" deal. (I'm not sure what he means by this). An investigation was performed to tick it all off. It was all in the salary cap and we had done nothing wrong. Everyone was interviewed and asked about who spoke to who and when.

Buddy was a restricted free agent and the Hawks could have matched the deal which people seem to overlook.

You said there he was a RFA they chose not to match unlike the Dangerfield deal last year where Crows matched the deal and they did a trade with picks and a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    This week Liam Pickering was on Open Mike and he spoke about the Buddy deal. I thought people might be interested so I noted some points down.

Discussions started in Jan 2013 during the Sydney Test. Pickering attends it every year with Longmire and Buddy was in Sydney to be with Jesinta. There was a meeting at Andrew Ireland's place.

Contract extension talks with the Hawks were put on hold after he had a car accident. The press knew where he lived and he was getting journalists and photographers around his house so he was uncomfortable and wanted to wait before committing to the Hawks. He was being hassled so much that he moved into an apartment to get away and left his house empty. So because he was with Jesinta he brought up moving to Sydney.

Clarkson expected Buddy to leave because the Hawks gave a deadline of July for their offer which he didn't accept. The Swans put their offer in during the 2013 Finals. Pickering told Clarkson after the GF that Buddy was accepting the swans offer and Clarkson was upset because he assumed he was going to GWS.

Pickering thought during the year that Buddy would change his mind and stay with the Hawks.

Pickering said if the AFL knew about the deal he was sure that they would not have allowed it to be done because they wanted him at the Giants as they were their baby.

If GWS had found out sooner they would have ran to the AFL and everyone would have been up in arms because we just got Tippett.

Thanks for that. My guess on what he meant by "purely a contract deal", would be that there was no third party payments, which are sponsorship arrangements that take place outside of the salary cap. It seems to be a very murky area, and there seems to be only a very limited amount of information available about what's being paid to whom. The most well known of these deals was the Chris Judd / Visy deal.
    It's something that I would like to know a lot more about, as I suspect that third party payments give an advantage to wealthier Melbourne clubs, when it comes to attracting and retaining players. And I also think that it's the never mentioned elephant in the room, when it comes to discussions about COLA, academies, etc.
    If anyone is well versed on what's going on, when it comes to third party deals, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    You said there he was a RFA they chose not to match unlike the Dangerfield deal last year where Crows matched the deal and they did a trade with picks and a player.
    I think they didn't match because a 9 year is a huge gamble. If the Swans offer was only 5-6 years I am 99% confident Hawthorn would have matched it
    I See It But I Don't Believe It!!!!

Senior Player
    Up to 963 goals. There are 12 regular season games to go. If he plays all, averaging 3 a game (he's averaging 3.2 this season), he could get close to 1,000 in the last game of the season against Gold Coast.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Up to 963 goals. There are 12 regular season games to go. If he plays all, averaging 3 a game (he's averaging 3.2 this season), he could get close to 1,000 in the last game of the season against Gold Coast.
    (Per Patrick Keane: https://twitter.com/AFL_PKeane/statu...353729026?s=19.)