Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy (merged thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Bloody hell.This could really go pear shaped for us. He most likely won't play again this year. Surely we must have insurances to cover the one million per year if he doesn't play any further but that is really getting ahead of ourselves.
    His manager once said if he finished early he wouldn't be paid out the remainder of his contract but the AFL said we would have to factor in his remaining owed payments in our cap. That's my understanding of it

On the Rookie List
    Firstly, hopefully he makes a full and complete recovery from this illness. Hopefully we see him on the footy field soon.

Secondly, talk about salary cap - Mitch Clark retired due to mental health issues a few years back. I believe (not 100% certain) that his salary was not counted as part of the salary cap so there is some precedent there. No doubt AFL will treat the two completely differently and make sure we have to pay out his contract from the salary cap.

I can see an AFL conspiracy coming on here....

For once I agree with the AFL - now, all take a deep breath and remember that Hawthorn has the right to match any offer we put to Buddy so it is only fair we stand behind our offer. Anything apart from that would allow us to put an uncommercial offer up and then just let Buddy walk away from the last coupel of years with us re-invest.

I suggest we all be big boys and girls on here and accept that we all knew this deal has some inherent risks attached to it and I am sure the AFL made sure we understood and accepted all these risks

Buddy's not playing the qualifying final

Devastated to read Buddy is out of this weeks game and possibly the finals for personal / mental health issues.

I am so sorry to hear he is unwell. All the schtick he receives from all corners (apart from Swans supporters) and everyone forgets to remember he is still after all a human being with all the problems that brings with him. The team are supporting him with whatever he needs to get better.

I wish him and all those around him strength.

Sydney Swans forward Lance 'Buddy' Franklin 'treated for an ongoing mental health condition'
    Last edited by Molly dooker; 8th September 2015 at 03:38 PM.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly dooker View Post
    I wish him and all those around him strength.
    Well said Molly.
    All the best Buddy.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Why did the club not say that Franklin's back is a week to week proposition and that he did not get up to play this week?

It would have been plausible and what have saved the speculation!

With these comments I'm not saying that mental health issues should not be out in the open. I believe these issues should be discussed openly.

Veteran Site Admin
    There's a lot of doom and gloom on here, with scant evidence to support it. Who knows what the problem is, but suggestions that missing one game means his career is over are well over the top based on what has been made public.

He had a blackout / dizzy spell issue in his first pre-season with us, which was reported as a repeat of an incident he'd suffered a few years earlier. Maybe it's a recurrence of something like that. Or maybe it's unrelated. But until more is known, I think it's safest just to wish him the best for a speedy recovery, and to look forward to the next time he dons the red and white and runs out with the rest of the team.

Agree 100% you can see he's lost some confidence and things aren't quite right - the poor guy is struggling - like alot of other players at an elite level - doesn't matter what club they are at - we should support all who are doing it tough with mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's a lot of doom and gloom on here, with scant evidence to support it. Who knows what the problem is, but suggestions that missing one game means his career is over are well over the top based on what has been made public.

He had a blackout / dizzy spell issue in his first pre-season with us, which was reported as a repeat of an incident he'd suffered a few years earlier. Maybe it's a recurrence of something like that. Or maybe it's unrelated. But until more is known, I think it's safest just to wish him the best for a speedy recovery, and to look forward to the next time he dons the red and white and runs out with the rest of the team.
    Well said!!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Now the journalists will be trying to find out what is happening.

Why not the back injury as the reason?

Senior Player
    He's out this week..no discussion of future finals. PLease change thread title. Deliberately incorrect and misleading.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast