Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy (merged thread)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    What an emotional rollercoaster season 2015 has been.
    Absolutely! We need a good news story, starting this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There's a lot of doom and gloom on here, with scant evidence to support it. Who knows what the problem is, but suggestions that missing one game means his career is over are well over the top based on what has been made public.

He had a blackout / dizzy spell issue in his first pre-season with us, which was reported as a repeat of an incident he'd suffered a few years earlier. Maybe it's a recurrence of something like that. Or maybe it's unrelated. But until more is known, I think it's safest just to wish him the best for a speedy recovery, and to look forward to the next time he dons the red and white and runs out with the rest of the team.
    Sorry Liz, I did jump to conclusions too fast.

Your uncanny ability to be right on just about everything is remarkable. How do you do it?

But Longmire's statement "This is very common across society and across professional sport" doesn't gel with the seizure incidents, which I would not think are all that common. When the little bits of information that leak out are all you have to go on what else can we do but speculate?
    Last edited by Ludwig; 8th September 2015 at 07:03 PM.

I think this is the time when all us Swans supporters need to get behind our team and support them with everything we have.

Hope Buddy gets the support and respect he needs and that if he cannot make it back this year, then he gets himself right for 2016.

You see a big strong footballer with bags of money and a model girlfriend and you think he would be invincible... How fragile we are... Get well Buddy.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    But Longmire's statement "This is very common across society and across professional sport" doesn't gel with the seizure incidents, which I would not think are all that common. When the little bits of information that leak out are all you have to go on what else can we do but speculate?
    There may well be more - either related or unrelated to the seizures he has been reported as having suffered.

My objection was more to the worrying about our salary cap being stuffed for the next seven years following an announcement he is to miss one game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Sorry Liz, I did jump to conclusions too fast.

Your uncanny ability to be right on just about everything is remarkable. How do you do it?

Ludwig, physical illness as a result of mental health illness is very common. I'm not at all surprised. Sadly though it shows Buddy has been ill for a long time.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Gotta say watching the presser, Horse is one impressive individual. A very well-rounded person and leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Ludwig, physical illness as a result of mental health illness is very common. I'm not at all surprised. Sadly though it shows Buddy has been ill for a long time.
    I'm just assuming from the various reports and statements that Buddy is suffering from depression. I think if it were drugs or some other kind of mental illness things would have presented otherwise.

I am really empathetic with Buddy's situation.

I have been on a lifelong 5-7 year cyclic bipolar disorder and have spent loads of time with psychiatrists which started when I was 10. The depressions are really awful and it's just a terrible helpless feeling. It has nothing to do with one's status in life. My depressions often started when I was at the top of the world, only to see relationships, jobs and everything come crashing down. I remember friends in Sydney smashing down my window when I didn't answer the phone for a few days, thinking that I had committed suicide. Your friends feel helpless too, because there's nothing they seem to be able to do to make things better, no matter how hard they try.

Sometimes Buddy has that look in his eyes. I could feel for him.

On reflection, I have been one of the lucky ones because I have always cycled out through those truly wonderful 2-4 month manic periods when everything is possible and superhuman would not be an overstatement for how life is during those times. It's made for a very interesting life. It's a very special experience. I would even call it a privilege. I have only the greatest empathy for those who are unfortunate enough to only experience the depression side of things.

I've been on SSRI's in the past. They really take the life out of you, and are very difficult to ween yourself off from. Sometimes you can be left with a choice of being pleasant and completely bland or so listless that you can't get your body out of bed. It's hard to know where the energy went. It's like it's been sucked out of your body.

I've been out of the cycle for 9 years now. I managed to cure myself. It took a deep interest in the workings of the mind for me to figure out how to beat it. When you are Buddy's age, I think it can be much harder. It can be very difficult to reconcile how you can be someone that everyone would envy and why you can feel so bad inside your head.

Every case is different. It's hard to know what Buddy's situation is like and how much it affects his daily life. He seems really upbeat most of the time, and that's a good sign that he'll come out of it.

Bravo Ludwig...........incredible turn around

onwards and upwards !!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Thanks Ludwig. Wouldn't be great if bud heard your story and it was somehow helpful to him. Hope he gets the help he needs and it's effective

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I usually am a clown. Live like a clown, act like a clown, like being a clown.

But Ludwig, seriously, that is just about the most impressive thing I've read on here. Good on you

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Gotta say watching the presser, Horse is one impressive individual. A very well-rounded person and leader.
    I agree.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast