Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 2016 - early days

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    True, but the U19's div 2 comp is a joke.

Penno does look the goods as a club. Seems like they do more for juniors than the uni teams too.

UNSW div 1 down, no one else to prems. Surely they can't put both camden and blacktown up into div 1. Would love to see Camden try prems, ece would put 300 on them.
    UNSW will be an interesting one for the AFL to decide on. I think they will stay up based on their strong juniors. Plus whenever a side drops out of Prems they invariably lose a bunch of players to other clubs, which would only make the existing clubs nearby stronger, which will make it even harder for UNSW to ever get back in to Prems. This also would make it harder for any new teams from western Sydney to come in and be competitive in Prems, which I assume is a goal of the AFL's. But I do hear that UNSW may have problems with their ground in the next year few years which if true complicates matters.

Requirement for any club to enter Prems should be a Div One U19s. Strong juniors is the only way to achieve long term sustainability. The AFL should give UTS notice that they need an U19s team within the next 2-3 years if they wish to stay in Prems. Otherwise they are susceptible to the UTS board pulling funding in a tight fiscal environment at some stage in the future.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by andreww1 View Post
    UNSW will be an interesting one for the AFL to decide on. I think they will stay up based on their strong juniors. Plus whenever a side drops out of Prems they invariably lose a bunch of players to other clubs, which would only make the existing clubs nearby stronger, which will make it even harder for UNSW to ever get back in to Prems. This also would make it harder for any new teams from western Sydney to come in and be competitive in Prems, which I assume is a goal of the AFL's. But I do hear that UNSW may have problems with their ground in the next year few years which if true complicates matters.

Requirement for any club to enter Prems should be a Div One U19s. Strong juniors is the only way to achieve long term sustainability. The AFL should give UTS notice that they need an U19s team within the next 2-3 years if they wish to stay in Prems. Otherwise they are susceptible to the UTS board pulling funding in a tight fiscal environment at some stage in the future.
    Do that and you will have the AFL reintroduce pathways as UTS will go outside of their area and recruit kids will will in turn have a flow on effect to the clubs they would normally have gravitated towards. I keep hearing that the approach towards growing the game which hasnt worked for the past 20 years is in the process of change for the better however am yet to see any evidence of this nor the alleged contact I was supposed to receive.

Really want to grow the game be 100 open and transparent about where the resources are being used and what KPIs are used to measure success.

UTS tried hard for 4+ years to get an U/19 side (18s back then) but were denied year after year because the view was there aren't enough local players and they would simply be taking players from existing clubs in the area (UNSW & Sydney Uni).

The only team you could imagine being even slightly competitive in PD would've been Balmain before they lost the "Bruise Brothers". Without them in 2016, they would be stretching to play finals in Div 1.

Both Blacktown & Camden should go up to Div 1 - need to get the West moving up the grades & both would be very competitive. UNSW to drop from Div 1 to 2.

If Randwick were to drop from D2 to D3 next year, they would win the flag by more than they did last year (130+ pts).

Moorebank seem to be the healthiest of the clubs out west, with Penrith pretty much on par. Multiple grades, womens footy teams, 19s, strong off field.

Rosedale already the best ground in the Sydney area, so Penrith would need to grease the palms of the belligerent councillor that keeps kyboshing their plans to play on Howell (not sure if it's still in the plans)

Blacktown would need to stabilise the juniors in the area. I know my junior club at Quakers isn't in the best shape at present, so it'd take more than one club under their catchment, and outside of their catchment would encroach on Penrith's area (St Clair etc)

Now, I expect a Facebook message from a Blacktown rep, who recently found a post of mine from 2006! And subsequently, baseball cap is on the menu tonight by default.

Senior Player
    Simple solution UTS and SU up from Div 3 to Div 2. Randwick stay. Blacktown as premiers up to div 1 and UNSW down.

Better solution would be PD firsts and reserves as a 9 team comp and Div 1 firsts and reserves as a 10 team comp. Allow for PD to become a 10 team comp in 2 -3 years and ensure promotion and relegation exists to provide an incentive for up and coming clubs. Place strict registration controls on any club competing in both PD and division 1 to ensure no manipulation of results as has been the case in the past hence the introductions of the division system in the first place.

Almost Football Legend
    An odd number of teams in Premier Division isn't ideal. I think the optimum number would be 10 teams, meaning in an 18-round season everyone plays everyone else twice. But at the moment there's no one club that's putting up an irrefutable case to go up like UTS and then Manly did. We could be stuck with nine teams and a bye for a few years yet.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Do that and you will have the AFL reintroduce pathways as UTS will go outside of their area and recruit kids will will in turn have a flow on effect to the clubs they would normally have gravitated towards. I keep hearing that the approach towards growing the game which hasnt worked for the past 20 years is in the process of change for the better however am yet to see any evidence of this nor the alleged contact I was supposed to receive.

Really want to grow the game be 100 open and transparent about where the resources are being used and what KPIs are used to measure success.
    I can't see kids from Western Sydney, some of whom don't drive, travelling to the eastern suburbs to train and play for UTS every week. It would though create more competition amongst those clubs drawing from the inner city areas to do more to support and engage with the local junior clubs, which would be a good thing.

Agree totally about the need for more resources, especially in western Sydney, to work with junior and senior clubs to grow the game out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaccyJ View Post
    UTS tried hard for 4+ years to get an U/19 side (18s back then) but were denied year after year because the view was there aren't enough local players and they would simply be taking players from existing clubs in the area (UNSW & Sydney Uni).

).
    That was also the reason they rejected St. George's request for a 2nd U19 team. Trouble is that there has been no growth in U19s for a few years now, in fact the number of teams has declined.

If it was me, and I am biased on this matter, I'd be allowing it to happen to create more competition between clubs to attract more ex-U17s up to U19s. Because of what St. George has done in this respect in the last few seasons I have already seen other local senior clubs improve their engagement with local junior clubs.

Senior Player
    That was also the reason they rejected St. George's request for a 2nd U19 team. Trouble is that there has been no growth in U19s for a few years now, in fact the number of teams has declined.

If it was me, and I am biased on this matter, I'd be allowing it to happen to create more competition between clubs to attract more ex-U17s up to U19s. Because of what St. George has done in this respect in the last few seasons I have already seen other local senior clubs improve their engagement with local junior clubs.
    Actually Andrew is could be argued that it was due to the manner we interacted with the local junior clubs in our region back in that made St George sit up and take notice and pick up their act. I would argue that it was a combination of our work and a changing of the management at St George around the same time.

I will argue long and hard about allowing a second under 19's team in the present environment. Pennant Hills had no problems dropping PD quality players to div 2 19's when it suited, can you make the guarantee St George wont? As for kids travelling to town to play 19's why dont you ask Craig and Derek their thoughts and see if there is precedence. You may find they also support my first point.

Season 2016 - early days

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Actually Andrew is could be argued that it was due to the manner we interacted with the local junior clubs in our region back in that made St George sit up and take notice and pick up their act. I would argue that it was a combination of our work and a changing of the management at St George around the same time.

I will argue long and hard about allowing a second under 19's team in the present environment. Pennant Hills had no problems dropping PD quality players to div 2 19's when it suited, can you make the guarantee St George wont? As for kids travelling to town to play 19's why dont you ask Craig and Derek their thoughts and see if there is precedence. You may find they also support my first point.
    Hi Mark. I thought I might get a response from yourself on this.

The good news for you is that St. George won't be pursuing a 2nd U19 team next season.

As the person who came up with the idea to create the current St.George U19 strategy I can assure you that Moorebank was not a consideration. It was actually more motivated by some strategies Power were doing to attract U19s. But whatever Power or Moorebank do in this respect is all good. If all 3 clubs continue to challenge each other to raise the bar on junior club engagement then in the long run more junior players will transition to senior footy.

The main issue for your U19s as I understand it is mostly due to Bankstown folding. All our clubs have lost out from that.
    Last edited by andreww1; 1st October 2015 at 09:22 PM.

Senior Player
    Actually it is a combination of the Bankstown issue, no junior at Liverpool and the SW tigers situation. SW tigers did not field a 17s last year a lean year the previous season in 16's. The club couldnt put the kids thru another similar year of the age group was raised from 16's to 17s. This created a massive gap year only compounded by the Bankstown scenario. The good news is they have 35 17s registered for 2016 so we finally have some light at the end of the tunnel. Our prelim final saw us only have 20 players available of which 2 were under 17's and 6 under 16s. All of those kids performed extremely well for us.

Season 2016 - early days

Glad to hear there's some light at the end of the tunnel for the club. Although many view other clubs as competitors, and obviously in so many areas we do, I also believe that a strong local competition helps all clubs in the long run. The more people playing the game and enjoying their involvement, will generate more players and more sponsorship opportunities for all of us in to the future.

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast