Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253

Thread: Season 2016 - early days

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    But race is an integral part of it, let's be honest about it, these are clubs set up purely along racial lines. I doubt if many "dumb aussies" feel welcome there

They only get the benefits they get because of their race, they actually abuse us in our own country calling us dumb aussies and the like, they are aggressive, insulting and ungrateful for everything they get handed on a platter. They threaten fellow players with being knifed and then call the race card out when it suits them.

It's like saying "Middle Eastern Crime" is being racist, it is not, let's just be honest and say that this group of our society is nothing but trouble. We can't exclude them from our game, even though I'm sure many of us would like that, but surely we can stop actively including them to the detriment of us who could actually do with some help in our "dumb aussie" clubs

- - - Updated - - -

I'll pay that assessment. A bunch of knobs on the field but they have done a great job the last few years. They seem a bit better run these days from my recent visits there, it helps that Leigh Adams and his white trash family are no longer actively involved, the influence of the parents coming through the juniors has been a good thing.
    I've had experience in playing soccer for a club set up along ethnic lines and it's not pleasant. I was called "skip" (looking like an Anglo Saxon) at my club and was on the outer because I was not part of the dominant ethnic group. The club also had fiery vendettas against other clubs because of some war that happened decades ago (Turks hate the Greek Cypriots over the war in Cyprus). What rubbish! We are playing sport in Australia.

The beauty of the AFL game is that all races play the game together and enjoy. At the Manly Wolves Alex Lee was just as much a hero as Tyrone Armitage or Connor Petterson. AFL develops loyalty towards the enjoyment of the game and then loyalty towards your clubs. It does not develop loyalty along ethnic lines.

If Aurburn was set up along ethnic lines and then given benefits because of that, then it's wrong. AFL is inclusive of everyone and that's the model soccer is trying to move towards.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    I've had experience in playing soccer for a club set up along ethnic lines and it's not pleasant. I was called "skip" (looking like an Anglo Saxon) at my club and was on the outer because I was not part of the dominant ethnic group. The club also had fiery vendettas against other clubs because of some war that happened decades ago (Turks hate the Greek Cypriots over the war in Cyprus). What rubbish! We are playing sport in Australia.

The beauty of the AFL game is that all races play the game together and enjoy. At the Manly Wolves Alex Lee was just as much a hero as Tyrone Armitage or Connor Petterson. AFL develops loyalty towards the enjoyment of the game and then loyalty towards your clubs. It does not develop loyalty along ethnic lines.

If Aurburn was set up along ethnic lines and then given benefits because of that, then it's wrong. AFL is inclusive of everyone and that's the model soccer is trying to move towards.
    You are spot on with your comment. Auburn was set up for the Lebanese clan that played for Parramatta and Wests, where they had charge sheets as long as their arms. And the NSWAFL actively supported them and had them as their poster child.

If you want to set up a club based on racial lines there is one sport in Australia that caters for that and it ain't Australian Football. Having said that having a multicultural involvement is great as long as those groups respect the game and don't use their race as an excuse for violent and disgusting behaviour and then call the race card when they get called our for it. I've heard many number of times that guys form Auburn or the Kassems threatening to stab an opposing players, allegedly in jest (are they serious).

Hopefully their sprogs don't take up our great game.

I think it is pretty fair to say absolutely nothing good came out of that club and it really did illustrate the incompetence of the clowns at the NSWAFL that it got any oxygen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    You are spot on with your comment. Auburn was set up for the Lebanese clan that played for Parramatta and Wests, where they had charge sheets as long as their arms. And the NSWAFL actively supported them and had them as their poster child.

If you want to set up a club based on racial lines there is one sport in Australia that caters for that and it ain't Australian Football. Having said that having a multicultural involvement is great as long as those groups respect the game and don't use their race as an excuse for violent and disgusting behaviour and then call the race card when they get called our for it. I've heard many number of times that guys form Auburn or the Kassems threatening to stab an opposing players, allegedly in jest (are they serious).

Hopefully their sprogs don't take up our great game.

I think it is pretty fair to say absolutely nothing good came out of that club and it really did illustrate the incompetence of the clowns at the NSWAFL that it got any oxygen at all.
    How does the Kassem family work? How many are there? Is the lady that started the Auburn women's team the wife or sister of one of the Kassems. I remember that there was a Kassem that was the key forward for Parramatta and was an excellent player.

Almost Football Legend
    Let's keep this discussion to football and not ethnicity, shall we.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

There are plenty of wonderful Lebanese people of all denominations involved in every sport and every walk of life across our communities.

More often than not, once you get to know them, they are simply some of the best Australians you will ever meet.

Given the opportunity and incentive to assimilate, most immigrants are generally no more or less, lazy, disrespectful, angry, aggressive, threatening, unlawful, etc, than your average 3rd or 4th generation "Aussie" dole bludging crim, except that quite often, due to their beliefs, they are not drunks!

It's simply lazy to lump an ethnic group into one stereotype.

I know lots of people who have come here from diverse ethnic groups, and at the end of the day, a lot of them are far more desirable, reliable, ethical assets to the community than many of the intolerant, jealous, lazy redneck "Aussies" that have been raised here with the "welfare state" belief that they are owed something ... and when come down to the basics, even the aboriginals are immigrants!

Soccer renounced and abandoned the racial alignment of it's clubs many years ago ... no more Apia Leichhardt, St George Budapest, Pan-Helennic, Hakoah, etc ... well technically at least ... and as bad as our code may seem, if you want to enjoy a stabbing or a bomb/flare throwing incident incited along racial grounds, it's still easier to just go to a soccer game than an Auburn SAFL game.

In saying that, any club that is set up purely for one ethnic or religious group can only be described as "racist" in it's own essence, and has no place in any culturally diverse community, regardless of the sport.

Any code that condones it, let alone supports and encourages it is totally out of touch ... more evidence of the AFL's total incompetence.

Regular in the Side
    Auburn was reformed by an extended family and their mates. The ongoing mention of race is irrelevant and disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    Auburn was reformed by an extended family and their mates. The ongoing mention of race is irrelevant and disgraceful.
    I only asked about the Kassem family behind Auburn. It's no different to asking about the Smith family that started another club. I'm interested in the football politics as to why the Kassems left Parramatta or Wests.

I'm equall interested as to why a group of mates founded the Marobra Saints when they could have played at UNSW / Easts?

These questions are all football related.

What an absolutely disgusting tone this thread has taken.
    no wonder some no longer give it the time of day

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    There are plenty of wonderful Lebanese people of all denominations involved in every sport and every walk of life across our communities.

More often than not, once you get to know them, they are simply some of the best Australians you will ever meet.

Given the opportunity and incentive to assimilate, most immigrants are generally no more or less, lazy, disrespectful, angry, aggressive, threatening, unlawful, etc, than your average 3rd or 4th generation "Aussie" dole bludging crim, except that quite often, due to their beliefs, they are not drunks!

It's simply lazy to lump an ethnic group into one stereotype.

I know lots of people who have come here from diverse ethnic groups, and at the end of the day, a lot of them are far more desirable, reliable, ethical assets to the community than many of the intolerant, jealous, lazy redneck "Aussies" that have been raised here with the "welfare state" belief that they are owed something ... and when come down to the basics, even the aboriginals are immigrants!

Soccer renounced and abandoned the racial alignment of it's clubs many years ago ... no more Apia Leichhardt, St George Budapest, Pan-Helennic, Hakoah, etc ... well technically at least ... and as bad as our code may seem, if you want to enjoy a stabbing or a bomb/flare throwing incident incited along racial grounds, it's still easier to just go to a soccer game than an Auburn SAFL game.

In saying that, any club that is set up purely for one ethnic or religious group can only be described as "racist" in it's own essence, and has no place in any culturally diverse community, regardless of the sport.

Any code that condones it, let alone supports and encourages it is totally out of touch ... more evidence of the AFL's total incompetence.
    Agree with this post 100%, perhaps felix can read it once he gets that incredibly high moral high horse of his.

I can only assume felix never had the "pleasure" of playing the Auburn club or Parramatta in the late 90s and early 00s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    What an absolutely disgusting tone this thread has taken.
    no wonder some no longer give it the time of day
    As Sellers would say, Ta-Da

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Shannon View Post
    I only asked about the Kassem family behind Auburn. It's no different to asking about the Smith family that started another club. I'm interested in the football politics as to why the Kassems left Parramatta or Wests.

I'm equall interested as to why a group of mates founded the Marobra Saints when they could have played at UNSW / Easts?

These questions are all football related.
    They were basically told they were not welcome at Wests, think it was Eid who ashamed himself and the club especially, so they set up their own club with massive NSWAFL patronage.

Their small history was marked by moderate success but stained by constant violence on the field and a threatening atmosphere to all visitors to their ground.

Note I have not mentioned race once here....

Senior Player
    Im absolutely disgusted by some of the comments here. Im always up for a bit of banter but it make me sick some of the things said. Thr kassem family are dont deserve being singled put. Those newbies like saviour with their pios attitudes need to take a reality check. There are plenty of clubs with debt arrangements in place. Alot of clubs wouldnt exist but for the afls grace. Asic records arnt hard to find.

Maybe people should focus on whats best to brow our game.

Almost Football Legend
    This thread's run its race. Time to shut it down.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253