Thread: Swans Investigated Re Buddy

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries

Swans Investigated Re Buddy

Thought I saw a slider note on Chanel 24 suggesting the Swans were under the microscope for playing Buddy last week and ignoring medicos advise

Surely this can't be right

I understood our medical staff gave the ok

FOOTNOTE�.Thinking of you Buddy and can't wait to see you back.

Apparently the hospital docs recommended he didn't play but left it up to Buddy and Nathan Gibbs.

There was an article in the Daily Terror today.
    Buddy said he was ok to play, so they let him.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

nanny state
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    nanny state
    Anything the AFL can get a sniff of 're the Swans and they will be on to it.

I've actually been surprised that there hasn't been a wave of "we told you so" regarding Buddy's illness and the length of time he is contracted for.
    Maybe it will come if he doesn't play any finals.
    Much like obituaries for Charlie Sheen and Michael Schumacher, I'm sure the press have written up long winded expose's on how wrong the Swans got it....
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

It is a major transgression of confidentiality ethics for anyone employed in the hospital to give any medical information to anyone without the express permission of the patient. Anyone caught leaking that story would be severely disciplined. So the ABC is repeating Fairfax's story, with an unnamed source. Chinese whispers.
    It was totally fine for Lance to play if he felt ok.
    People with epilepsy want their lives to be as normal as possible. Every type of epilepsy is specific to the individual in its manifestation and intensity, which includes the length, type and intensity of the post-ictal (after seizure) phase.
    The media's feigned knowledge is really uninformed opinion masquerading as fact.

Veterans List
    I agree that whoever is leaking this information needs to be dealt with, (of course it could all be made up to sell a story!).

Regardless, Gibbs has the experience and knows Buddy and how he responds. You can guarantee that he would not have been risked if there was any doubt.

Probably a 9 year trading ban extension coming....
    Swannies for life!

Goes up to 11
    I'd be happy for an investigation - if it shows we did the right thing, great. If we didn't, and it can be proven that the player's welfare was impacted, maybe some sort of action would be justified.

I'm sure we'll be ok regardless...

The medico's at the Swans have never put the game ahead of the person. Never.

If Buddy said he was ok, then....

And how did the outlets get the story. I thought medical reports from hospitals were confidential?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    The medico's at the Swans have never put the game ahead of the person. Never.

If Buddy said he was ok, then....

And how did the outlets get the story. I thought medical reports from hospitals were confidential?
    Occasionally a Medico (Dr, nurse etc) might mention something verbally & is quoted. I know of this happening in Qld in an emergency department in a relatively high profile case at the time. The Dr was stood down without pay for the duration of an investigation of protocol breach.