Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player retention

Player retention

This year has underlined the importance of player rentention. You just can't afford to let quality go.

Carlton collect wooden spoon and sit by and watch kennedy, waite, laidler and best dominate in finals.

Veterans List
    Staggering what happened at Carlton. It was like Malthouse was a plant by Eddie to completely ruin the club. Malthouse gutted them and brought in rubbish that he talked up as stars over the summer only for them to be absolute flops.

Don't forget Gartlett at Melbourne either.

And if you're in the middle of a trade ban, player retention is paramount!

And don't forget Robinson as well, one of the Lions best and fairest winners.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Kennedy was part of the Judd trade, I expect Carlton would make that trade time and again.

The Kennedy - Judd trade worked out well for both clubs. Judd played very well for Carlton for many years. Waite was a free agent and chose to exercise his right to test his options in the market, as did Betts. Laidler does seem to be a far better player than Carlton gave him credit for but maybe he suits our structure and environment better.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

They all had good reasons to leave, but the fact remains of they were still at Carlton and Carlton got the best out of them, they wouldn't be spooners.

I don't have a problem with players leaving as free agents after they've put in their 8 years. They've negotiated that right and have earned it. What I don't like is how they flout the rules by demanding to go to a specific club even when still in contract.

If you didn't think you would do well playing away from home, there are plenty of jobs where you can do that. But it would be like a journalist wanting to be a foreign correspondent as long as they don't have to leave the country.

My solution is that if you want to go to another club you can only receive a maximum salary of $100,000 until you finish the 8 year minimum until you are FA eligible. For instance, Lewis Jetta can request a trade to West Coast, but can only get a 2 year contract limited to $100k per year.

I don't think it's still in place, but at least one of the big American sports had a system that if you wanted to leave your club you had to sit out the next season and then you could become a free agent.

Eddie McGuire should be all over this one, being the champion of the purity of the draft. Could there be another more impure about a draft when 4 clubs have such a limited local draft pool to choose from and out of staters can simply walk to another club back home after a couple of years of being trained up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't have a problem with players leaving as free agents after they've put in their 8 years. They've negotiated that right and have earned it. What I don't like is how they flout the rules by demanding to go to a specific club even when still in contract.

If you didn't think you would do well playing away from home, there are plenty of jobs where you can do that. But it would be like a journalist wanting to be a foreign correspondent as long as they don't have to leave the country.

My solution is that if you want to go to another club you can only receive a maximum salary of $100,000 until you finish the 8 year minimum until you are FA eligible. For instance, Lewis Jetta can request a trade to West Coast, but can only get a 2 year contract limited to $100k per year.

I don't think it's still in place, but at least one of the big American sports had a system that if you wanted to leave your club you had to sit out the next season and then you could become a free agent.

Eddie McGuire should be all over this one, being the champion of the purity of the draft. Could there be another more impure about a draft when 4 clubs have such a limited local draft pool to choose from and out of staters can simply walk to another club back home after a couple of years of being trained up.
    Don't get confused mate, Eddie doesn't want equality or purity, he wants Collingwood to have the advantage of being the biggest & most attractive club to attract players whilst spouting bull@@@@ about equality!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

That was the situation in the early VFL days too. You could sit out a year if your club refused to clear you.

I'm with the players on this one I'm afraid.

I actually don't believe in the draft as I believe it is a major restraint of trade - it is clearly illegal per the NSWRL precedent and it only survives due to the gentleman's agreement in place to protect the weak Melbourne Clubs.

I believe that the Salary Cap Only approach is a much better way of achieving a level playing field and you only need to look at the remarkable spread of NRL Champions since it was introduced as evidence of it's effectiveness.

I also think the draft, especially when it is supplemented by free agency the way it is now, creates an underclass of struggling clubs and keep the strong clubs on top. A rebuild is much harder in AFL than the NRL due to the restrictions in re-building your list. Look at the Wests Tigers and the Robbie Farah situation - sure they are in a world of pain now but by taking the hard decisions they will have a batch of youngsters ready for a title assault in 2018 at the latest.

The NRL model includes an U20s comp and junior pathways from Harold Matthews Cup onwards. That tends to render the comparison a little redundant. The big winners out of a system such as you're proposing would be the 4 clubs in SA and WA. Two clubs in each state with virtually every kid there wanting to play for them.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    The NRL model includes an U20s comp and junior pathways from Harold Matthews Cup onwards. That tends to render the comparison a little redundant. The big winners out of a system such as you're proposing would be the 4 clubs in SA and WA. Two clubs in each state with virtually every kid there wanting to play for them.

Yeah you are right there, the WA clubs would be the biggest winners there.

If there was a "free market" world like that we'd probably be back to a 12 team comp - one in Qld and NSW, two in WA and SA each, Geelong (default a Country Victoria) and five Melbourne clubs.

I'd actually quite like that though, home and away, a genuine national comp not a re-badged VFL and fewer Melbourne teams. Sure the TV Deal would be lower but per club I reckon it would be higher as the quality would be a lot higher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast