Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good Tom Harley?

Warming the Bench

How good Tom Harley?

No doubt in my mind he has been one of the recruits of the season for our club.

Always professional, incredible speaker and just really represents our team tremendously well.
    No wonder the Geelong team did so well in the time he was captain there.

Well played Tom

Also, does anyone know if coaching is something that he will eventually look into?

I agree, Tom Harley is very impressive. Pleased he's now a Swan.

Couldn't stand him as a commentator but I couldn't have been more impressed with him since he's been with us.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Panttz View Post
    No doubt in my mind he has been one of the recruits of the season for our club.

Always professional, incredible speaker and just really represents our team tremendously well.
    No wonder the Geelong team did so well in the time he was captain there.

Well played Tom

Also, does anyone know if coaching is something that he will eventually look into?
    Personally, I suspect that he may have been the major reason behind Geelong's recent premierships. If you go back to 2007; Geelong were in trouble early, rumours were flying that Mark Thompson was about to be sacked and then they had that well known crisis meeting. The result of which, apparently, was a change in power structure away from Thompson and towards the player group, of which Harley was the most prominent member. It was after that, that Geelong's form saw a dramatic turn around.
    Of course, their great luck with the father/son rule also came in handy: Ablett at pick forty something, was it? Scarlett even lower? The other Ablett, Hawkins, Blake.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Personally, I suspect that he may have been the major reason behind Geelong's recent premierships. If you go back to 2007; Geelong were in trouble early, rumours were flying that Mark Thompson was about to be sacked and then they had that well known crisis meeting. The result of which, apparently, was a change in power structure away from Thompson and towards the player group, of which Harley was the most prominent member. It was after that, that Geelong's form saw a dramatic turn around.
    Of course, their great luck with the father/son rule also came in handy: Ablett at pick forty something, was it? Scarlett even lower? The other Ablett, Hawkins, Blake.
    But no Newman! Seeing Geelong are similar to us, in that they have a "No Dickhead" policy (I believe), they would probably be breathing a sigh of relief!

Warming the Bench
    Tom is the Buddy of footy Admin (if you squint!). Andrew Ireland extended his contract till the end of 2016. If we can drag another couple of years out of Andrew then Harley would make a great hands-on CEO in 2018 (or later if we can keep Andrew).

I'll reserve judgement on Harley until I see how the trade ban has been resolved

I remember seeing him interviewed on Fox Footy (when he was still Geelong captain) and thinking wow what an inspirational guy.

I agree that he speaks and presents well and is obviously very intelligent and appears to suit our culture, and corporate image. I don't know enough about his ability in the area in which he is actually employed to comment on it however, but I hope he's doing a good job.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I met him during the pre-season when my sons and i were having breakfast in balmain before the match at drummoyne oval. he came over to us and asked whether we were going to the game (my son had on a swans top and the other one had a fitzroy juniors top on). Then he chatted to us for about 15 minutes about the team, junior football in victoria, going back into the club environment rather than being a tv commentator and the geelong side.

I couldn't have been more impressed given that he approached us rather than the other way around. Just seemed a genuine person, not at all full of himself. I came away thinking it must be great having such a level headed person around a football club.

What's brought all this on? I agree he seems to have played the part well but I guess I expected as much given his pedigree and reputation. Why the conversation now? Did he recently do or say something impressive that I've missed??

p.s. Love the idea of him as a candidate for future CEO!

Warming the Bench
    Nothing special or out of the ordinary! I was just watching the weekly injury update that he does and thought it was on my mind is all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast