Thread: Ted Richards signs contract extension

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar

Ted Richards signs contract extension

I just find an article on news.com.au that Teddy has signed a 1 year extension of his contract.

Teddy was a gun for several years but for me the signs are showing a lot of fragility. Can we kept our back six together?

If this right or wrong. Does this mean that X just cools his heels for another year with no game time? Maybe the club don't rate him!!

I will state that if I has to chose from Teddy and Goodesy, its not even close. Goodesy is playing so well and our most attacking Midfielder/Flanker in the team.

If both play then young players will be leaving the club. Hewett and Marsh likely.

A lot of questions for me.
    Last edited by WauchopeAnalyst; 15th September 2015 at 09:14 PM.

Ted signing for another year buy a bit more time to develop our key defenders. I also hope the reports of the Swans seeking to recruit Michael Talia are true as well.

I don't see Ted or Goodes staying on has any impact on the future of either Hewett or Marsh. Harley spoke of Hewett being a big part in our future and feel confident he will sign on. I don't think Marsh will be in big demand and if he stays on it will probably be the Swans' call.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    I haven't seen much, but i have watched a fair bit of the last 2 games and I really rated Marsh as a Flanker or Wing.

its just a mental thing with Marsh AS HE HAS THE SKILLS AND KICK

I have been a huge supporter that he will be one of those players that needs the challenge of a bigger environment SNRS ......and then he will step up !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Ted signing for another year buy a bit more time to develop our key defenders. I also hope the reports of the Swans seeking to recruit Michael Talia are true as well.

I don't see Ted or Goodes staying on has any impact on the future of either Hewett or Marsh. Harley spoke of Hewett being a big part in our future and feel confident he will sign on. I don't think Marsh will be in big demand and if he stays on it will probably be the Swans' call.
    Yep I agree with this. I also like the idea of trying to get Talia but not sure if we could get both him and Hampson and bring in Mills and Dunks.

Re Reg I think he can last another year but our defence will be pretty threadbare without some backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Yep I agree with this. I also like the idea of trying to get Talia but not sure if we could get both him and Hampson and bring in Mills and Dunks.

Re Reg I think he can last another year but our defence will be pretty threadbare without some backup.
    Reg just signed a 3 year contract, so he's not going anywhere just yet. He's not as old as he looks.

My priority would be Talia, because he fits a need in that we have key defenders near retirement and only Xav Richards looking more likely than not to fill someone's shoes. Aliir is exciting, but still has a lot to prove. I don't like the talk about our interest Leuenberger, but he doesn't cost picks or players, so it's a matter of what we can fit into out cap.

A lot of things will have to be settled before we can consider Bennell or Hampton. Good players, but not where our priorities are.

hmmm If Macca and Jetta have been rotated thru the backline in the last season for jets and the last two for macca well it is certainly possible we have players in mind for this rotation with out jets

now this will get a stir.............Brandon Jack ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Teddy's extension would be an insurance policy in case trading ban challenge goes wrong....plus he's good enough, was great against Freo, still better than the back up KPD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    hmmm If Macca and Jetta have been rotated thru the backline in the last season for jets and the last two for macca well it is certainly possible we have players in mind for this rotation with out jets

now this will get a stir.............Brandon Jack ?
    Not at all, BJ has genuine pace which is a very very valuable asset, I can see him having a breakout season in 2016

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Reg just signed a 3 year contract, so he's not going anywhere just yet. He's not as old as he looks.

My priority would be Talia, because he fits a need in that we have key defenders near retirement and only Xav Richards looking more likely than not to fill someone's shoes. Aliir is exciting, but still has a lot to prove. I don't like the talk about our interest Leuenberger, but he doesn't cost picks or players, so it's a matter of what we can fit into out cap.

A lot of things will have to be settled before we can consider Bennell or Hampton. Good players, but not where our priorities are.
    Sorry I meant Ted can last one more year, Reg has had a great year

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    I love Ted.
    He's still doing a marvelous job.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I don't think this means we don't have faith in our up and coming defenders, it's insurance. It means we're covered either way. I think Teddy will continue to play unless and until he is injured or loses form but if he does, he will be there to mentor the next generation and smooth the transition. However I do think either we're going to be signing another, ready-made tall defender or X (and/or AA) will be getting significantly more game time next season (not saying much - they have 1.1 games between them so won't be hard to improve on that) or both. We need to be preparing for Ted's departure. Hopefully X is the answer but, if not, we need a plan B. McLaren is a long way off.

I have been wondering a fair bit about Marsh. I tend to think they can't make him our MVP in the ressies and then cut him. If he is doing everything the coaches are asking of him - which you would have to infer he is because they keep saying he is among the best afield - then it's not fair to delist him. On the other hand he's been on the list what, 3 years? Still hasn't played a game. Also he doesn't seem especially versatile. His main role seems to be the third tall in defence and perhaps not so well suited to other roles (as Ugg has pointed out - apologies if I'm verballing you there, Ugg), at least at this time. Which means he is really fighting with Ramps, Laids and maybe Newman for that role. In which case what are his chances? In which case, do we keep him??