Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Semi Final: Sydney Swans v North Melbourne Kangaroos

Hawthorn smashed Freo and us in consecutive weeks in July. That was a good indication of where things stood. Fyfe was never the same after the knee he took in that game from Mitchell. And Buddy was never the same after our game against them and only made a few cameo appearances after that.

I think Freo are headed for a serious rebuild. I like our chances next year and going forward because of the some of seriously good young talent coming through the system. I don't know if it will be good enough for next year, but I hope we can have a solid competitive year.

I'd just like to see some recruiting sanctions applied to the Hawks. While money was freed up from Buddy, the have raped & pillaged talent from other clubs like the Vikings of yester year. Sure we picked up a couple of bona fide stars (Buddy & arguably Tippet) most of our other recruits were recycled discards. The Hawks cherry pick top end talent, all too often from bottom end clubs.

One thing that has really stood out this year in the final series and is the X -factor has been the injuries to key players. Apart from Gunstan the Hawks have been blessed. Issac Smith sustained a minor injury where at first it looked that he had a serious one. Unfortunately we were not that lucky with our injuries.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    One thing that has really stood out this year in the final series and is the X -factor has been the injuries to key players. Apart from Gunstan the Hawks have been blessed. Issac Smith sustained a minor injury where at first it looked that he had a serious one. Unfortunately we were not that lucky with our injuries.
    I would like to know how Hawks avoid injury and all their players can run and run even the old ones. West coast appear to be the same, I will watch Carlton with interest.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    I would like to know how Hawks avoid injury and all their players can run and run even the old ones. West coast appear to be the same, I will watch Carlton with interest.
    To be fair to the Hawks, they suffered a heavy injury toll last year but they managed to get close to a full squad available by the time the finals came along. This year they've had a pretty reasonable run all year. West Coast have had a reasonable run this year, but bear in mind they've been without two experienced key defenders all year.

We had a decent run with our senior team most of the year. The luck just ran out in the final month or so. Amongst our younger players, things weren't great. This won't have impacted the current year too much, but does mean that players like Naismith, Perris, Melican have missed close to a full year of development opportunity, while Robinson and Newman were also hampered for shorter periods.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    To be fair to the Hawks, they suffered a heavy injury toll last year but they managed to get close to a full squad available by the time the finals came along. This year they've had a pretty reasonable run all year. West Coast have had a reasonable run this year, but bear in mind they've been without two experienced key defenders all year.

We had a decent run with our senior team most of the year. The luck just ran out in the final month or so. Amongst our younger players, things weren't great. This won't have impacted the current year too much, but does mean that players like Naismith, Perris, Melican have missed close to a full year of development opportunity, while Robinson and Newman were also hampered for shorter periods.
    True but they do seem to develop their players better. Maybe the NEAFL is our handicap.

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    True but they do seem to develop their players better. Maybe the NEAFL is our handicap.
    Dead right. I know all the arguments against it so don't bother but a South Melbourne team in the VFL would be the icing on the cake.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I don't think the NEAFL is such a problem - the standard has been improving each season - but apart from reducing injuries (and how does one do that?) I think the main priority needs to be development at the coaching level. In order of priority these are: foot skills, hand skills (marking and disposal, especially when tackled), the ballup and centre square set-up (including the spread), and use of the spare man in defence.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Good skills are a prime prerequisite but the opportunity to practice them in a top class competitive situation on a regular basis is paramount. Anyone can execute against witches hats.

Beating hawrhorn is sinple. Man up. Their game plan revolves around free ing players up.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Beating hawrhorn is sinple. Man up. Their game plan revolves around free ing players up.
    You been on the turps again Barry?

The NEAFL is a strategic investment for us. Abandoning for the VFL would be a backwards step.

The only alternative is a national reserves comp.