Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Semi Final: Sydney Swans v North Melbourne Kangaroos

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Abandoning for the VFL would be a backwards step.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Dead right. I know all the arguments against it so don't bother but a South Melbourne team in the VFL would be the icing on the cake.
    The problem with the NEAFL, in terms of developing our players, is that the team is made up of 1/3, sometimes 1/2, with top ups.

This makes continuity in developing the team structures, and playing with trust for your teammates, ie when to leave your man etc, near impossible to achieve...

It's all looks a bit disjointed on game day.

I agree with Barry, and would like to see a national reserves comp reinstated...Money obviously gets in the way, as lists would need to increase etc.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 26th September 2015 at 01:00 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Semi Final: Sydney Swans v North Melbourne Kangaroos

Gary Rohan's injury from that head clash in the Nth Melbourne match was really nasty. Just read in the Swans' injury report that he fractured his cheekbone, had surgery during the week and that after the swelling subsides he will have further surgery.
    Harley described it as "a pretty nasty break in the upper cheek point through the eye socket,�

Poor guy, he must be sick of hospitals. I recall Rohan got engaged earlier this year. Hope he wasn't planning an off-season wedding. He wouldn't look very handsome in the wedding photos.

Well North Melbourne did better than I expected but the Eagles ran over them in the second half. Don't much like the Eagles (or at least their fans) but I hope they can take home the big one next week ("anyone but Hawthorn").

But please tell me that I heard incorrectly. Did the TV commentators really say, in relation to Nic Nat late in the last quarter, "get 'the boy' off the ground"?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Don't much like the Eagles (or at least their fans) but I hope they can take home the big one next week ("anyone but Hawthorn").
    WC supporters might be a little more savoury than some Freo fans ATM

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    But please tell me that I heard incorrectly. Did the TV commentators really say, in relation to Nic Nat late in the last quarter, "get 'the boy' off the ground"?
    Muhammad Ali might have something to say about that

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I'd just like to see some recruiting sanctions applied to the Hawks. While money was freed up from Buddy, the have raped & pillaged talent from other clubs like the Vikings of yester year. Sure we picked up a couple of bona fide stars (Buddy & arguably Tippet) most of our other recruits were recycled discards. The Hawks cherry pick top end talent, all too often from bottom end clubs.
    One of Hawthorn's premiership players,known to us,was a recycled discard :Matt Spangher.

Warming the Bench
    Spangher is originally from Victoria and played for West Coast. On his Wikipedia page it states he wanted to return to Victoria in 2009. Seems like the Swans picked him up but he never would have wanted to stay there. Still a go home factor involved by the looks of it.

Would have to agree with the previous comment: whereas Swans tend to pick up under utilised players from other clubs, the Hawks raid the struggling clubs of their better players.

When you hear about some player not achieving their potential due to personal issues, the media routinely suggests Swans could sort them out.

If a 'star' is in the offing, there is outrage if the Swans should be successful in obtaining their services, I.e. Buddy or Tippett.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    The problem with the NEAFL, in terms of developing our players, is that the team is made up of 1/3, sometimes 1/2, with top ups.
    This is a product of our list size, not where our reserves play.

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    This is a product of our list size, not where our reserves play.
    Don't agree. It's both standard and list size.

I wasn't meaning to target the NEAFL as the sole problem, just that playing in the NEAFL, with the relatively poor standard of 'top ups' our reserve players play

along side (compared to playing in the VFL, WAFL, SANFL) hinders development....

A reserves team, in a national reserves comp, is what would be best, but due to cost of increasing list size , for all clubs, unfortunately it won't happen.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 27th September 2015 at 03:55 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Another problem is that the NEAFL don't take the competition seriously. They keep changing the venues as a start. I have watched the ressies religiously since about 2000, but over the last couple of years its been a nightmare. Is it just el nino? or is it a matter of making the Swans Ressies paaayyy...... Hard enough with the small available number of our players, let alone twitching the top ups from here to there.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Why?
    Because the long term prosperity of the Swans (and Giants) and therefore AFL in Sydney is by developing the local market.

When the quality of NSW players entering the AFL is enough to populate the 2 AFL teams. (Give or take a few playing elsewhere, and few non-nsw playing for us), then we will be self sufficient and untouchable.

The NEAFL is a vehicle for that. If its not strong enough, make it stronger.

Bolstering the VFL with our reserves players does nothing for NSW footy.