Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodes

I am so angry that he has been driven from the game in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I am so angry that he has been driven from the game in this way.
    Agree 100%

Once the emotion of the season's demise has settled .... can he reconsider ... ?

A lot of nice things said about Goodsey on Big Footy (for a change) with only a couple of negative comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Glorious then, but I'll have two other abiding memories of him. First, the 2012 Grand Final. Not his finest game statistically, but what he did that day was beyond statistics. On one leg, but still a battering ram who carried us on his shoulders when the game was up for grabs and he was needed more than ever before. Second, the back end of this season, when he conducted himself with such dignity in the face of such cowardly abuse. He transcended sport. Thanks for everything Goodesy.
    Well said. As far as abiding memories go, one little thing that I think demonstrates what a freak athlete he was in his prime, is this. It was a game against Freo at the SCG, when he was still playing ruck. At one somewhat static around the ground ball up, he won the tap easily, by leaping right over the top of Sandilands. Which on the height difference is impressive enough: 211cm against 194cm; which is the same as, say, Goodesy rucking against the 177cm Kierin Jack. But what was really impressive was watching it on a slowed down replay and working out how he got up so high. That is, I assumed that he must have put a hand on a shoulder and/or a knee in the back, and more or less climbed Sandilands. But no, the first point of contact, from a standing start, was the shin of Goodes on the shoulder of Sandilands. Truly amazing!

So sad that in his last year for the swans, football needs Adam Goodes more than he needs football. I'm deeply ashamed of the way goodesy had been treated but it has opened my eyes to some disturbing truths about our society and culture.

I hope to see goodesy kick goals in public life. He had so much to give and stop much to teach. Of course anyone would totally understand if he chooses to live a private life given what he's been through this year.

Anyway going to miss the big fella in red and white.

Veterans List
    A magnificent footballer, a tremendous leader, a joy to watch perform.

But most of all Adam has made me a better man. Will miss you buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    So sad that in his last year for the swans, football needs Adam Goodes more than he needs football. I'm deeply ashamed of the way goodesy had been treated but it has opened my eyes to some disturbing truths about our society and culture.

I hope to see goodesy kick goals in public life. He had so much to give and stop much to teach. Of course anyone would totally understand if he chooses to live a private life given what he's been through this year.

Anyway going to miss the big fella in red and white.
    I must say that I can't really believe people need their eyes opened. The history of Australia is basically racist. It probably is everywhere. Hungarians hate Roma. Malays hate Chinese. Fijians hate Indians. First peoples everywhere have been colonised and subjugated.

I've previously said that my memories of Goodes will all be against Collingwood where we lost over and over and he was best on ground over and over. It takes a very special player to repeatedly be best on when your team is getting well beaten. On 8 September 2007 my younger son was born and that night I went to the game. I will remember him just being the only thing between a crushing defeat and a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Totally. It has shown that there is a much deeper vain of racism in our society than we thought. When is able to be "disguised" as something else (booing a footy player) it becomes rsmpant.

The problem is that through AFL inaction this issue will be able to be buried. The racist have won. The AFL have waited it out. A pathetic response.

I would have loved for the swans to get perth and then walk off the ground due to the extreme booing he would have got. But not to be.

Caro's article said Goodes would not be at the GF and Brownlow which is understandable if regrettable.
    But I really hope we get a proper farewell lap at the SCG-not one of those half arsed efforts of late but a proper halftime lap for the fans to show Adam one last time how much we appreciate and admire him.

Beautiful tributes here. I hope he reads them.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I genuinely adore Adam Goodes- he is my favourite footballer, ever. I loved the grace he played with, the power he dominated games with, the heights he achieved in the game both personally and with our team. Huge parts of the blissful memories of euphoria I hold from sport over the past more than a decade are due to Adam, and I am thankful for them. Standing up for what he believes in, highlighting parts of society that a lot of people would prefer were not highlighted- I can't say enough about how much respect I have for him outside of football. I can think of few people I believe would serve as a better role model to my son than Adam, and I can't think of a higher opinion than that I could hold.

Adam's treatment this year has destroyed a large part of the childlike enthusiasm that I held for football. Every year as finals rolled around I have turned into the classic sports nut that watches every game- my family noticed this year I was interested in the Swans games only, and perhaps have watched 30 minutes combined of the other games played. I hope next week with the Preliminary Finals I absentmindedly sit down and enjoy the game before I start to overanalyse this year too much. I hope I go back to just finding joy in someone kicking a ball perfectly to where their friend can catch it, regardless of the guernseys they wear, and don't succumb to tribalism- if I find I do I'll just walk away.

For most of my son's life we've eaten pancakes for breakfast every Swans game day just because we once heard Goodesy did- it makes sense for a little kid to do that sort of thing, but for a grown man it's a little silly. I'm glad Adam helped me hold onto being a little silly for so long, and I'm eternally grateful that he allowed me to experience the starry eyed joy of having a hero with my little boy.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    A genuinely great player, a fine man who fits so well the too-frequently awarded label of an adornment to the game.

Thank you Adam for all you gave to the club and will keep giving in the light of the legacy you leave with us. Your contribution to indigenous people is massive, and long may it continue, as directly and indirectly it will benefit us all.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast