Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Here's a possibility without anyone being traded in and Jetta and Bird both out.

Smith Grundy Laidler
    Rohan Richards Rampe
    Parker Hanners McVeigh
    Naismith Kennedy Mitchell
    Reid Franklin Towers
    Heeney Tippett K Jack
    Cunningham Jones Hewett Mills

Emergencies: Lloyd, Newman, McGlynn
    That's a very young team.
    I think with our depth issues this year they might hold on to Bird for one more year

Senior Player
    Here is my team for next year

Rampe Richards Smith
    Jones Grundy Mcveigh
    Rohan Mitchell Cunningham
    Kennedy Leuenberger Hannebery
    Parker Reid Jack
    Franklin Tippett Heeney

Interchange Towers B Jack Lloyd Laidler

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Here's a possibility without anyone being traded in and Jetta and Bird both out.

Smith Grundy Laidler
    Rohan Richards Rampe
    Parker Hanners McVeigh
    Naismith Kennedy Mitchell
    Reid Franklin Towers
    Heeney Tippett K Jack
    Cunningham Jones Hewett Mills

Emergencies: Lloyd, Newman, McGlynn
    I think we have seen that the Rooster is not as comfortable in the back half. He is better off causing chaos around the forward 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus26 View Post
    ... If we hold on to Marsh and Aliir, those boys would have to debut you would think at some stage. I would expect Rose to grab a couple more games along with X too.
    I am hoping for an Aliir break out at some time this year. Watching the 2012 DVD reminded me of how much we needed AJ (or similar in this team). Rampe is being asked to play on the oppositions third tall when we should be getting him back to the kicking and tackling, which made us sit up,of his first season. Laids has become a very good team player but Johnson was/is just that something a little bit special. Hopefully he can pull a Menzel and one day, run on with the Seniors.
    I hope we aren't looking at a ruckman, we should be looking for a backman. I believe Reg has had one of his best seasons but Teddy has dropped off. I don't mind that Ted is playing on next year but it would be good if we could provide him with an understudy.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    That's a very young team.
    I think with our depth issues this year they might hold on to Bird for one more year
    I really like Bird and hope he can stay with Swans but even with Kizza and Parker out, and Heeney with a sore knee, he didn't get a run. Hopefully next year Lloyd gets over his second year blues and lives up to the RWO hype :-)

The other thing we could struggle with is the scrapping of the sub and the reduced interchanges. Does this benefit or hurt us? Does Bird, who was universally considered (if the RWO is the universe (and who am I to say it isn't)) one paced going to be more valuable or less so? Will two rucks become fashionable with one resting either forward or back? This could explain the media saying we are chasing Leuenberger? Myke obviously can't run out a game or take strong contested marks like he used to and the Footy Dept are comfortable relying on Naismith yet. A Tippo/Leuenberger ruck combo could be very good, potentially, if they can both stay on the field at the right end of the season.

backs: Smith --- Reg --- Laidler,
    Rampe --- Richards --- Aliir/X/Davis --- Jones
    midfield: McVeigh --- Kennedy --- Naismith --- Mitchell --- Parker --- K.Jack
    forwards: Reid --- Franklin --- Heeney
    Tippo --- Rohan

Bench/Depth: "someone we trade in", Lloyd, Cunningham, Towers, McGlynn/B.Jack (both playing for the same spot and right now I would give it to BJ)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I really hope we don't go after another ruckman. Watching Pyke labour around the field looking lost was too much to take the other night. I believe we have to open the door for Naismith and the Nank. They can't be much worse than anyone else we have fielded in that area lately (besides Tippo who has been solid lately).

I would like to draft some youngsters in, a fringe player or two from other clubs. We have superb drafting staff and I hope they can weave some magic once again. I would take Hampton over Bennell, Smith and Leuenberger, trade out Bird and Jetta and give some opportunities to some of our guys who have been in the system for 2 - 3 years e.g. Hewett, Newman etc. I think the other key is to keep giving some of these youngsters a spot so they a) grow in confidence; and b) not stress about making mistakes (which they all will). You don't want a player thinking I'm going to be dropped if I spray the ball or turn it over.

Whatever happens it's going to be an interesting trading period and a great year in 2016. Looking forward to seeing Goodsey round 1 and renewing my membership for next year.

I really hope we don't go after another ruckman. Watching Pyke labour around the field looking lost was too much to take the other night. I believe we have to open the door for Naismith and the Nank. They can't be much worse than anyone else we have fielded in that area lately (besides Tippo who has been solid lately).

I would like to draft some youngsters in, a fringe player or two from other clubs. We have superb drafting staff and I hope they can weave some magic once again. I would take Hampton over Bennell, Smith and Leuenberger, trade out Bird and Jetta and give some opportunities to some of our guys who have been in the system for 2 - 3 years e.g. Hewett, Newman etc. I think the other key is to keep giving some of these youngsters a spot so they a) grow in confidence; and b) not stress about making mistakes (which they all will). You don't want a player thinking I'm going to be dropped if I spray the ball or turn it over.

Whatever happens it's going to be an interesting trading period and a great year in 2016. Looking forward to seeing Goodsey round 1 and renewing my membership for next year.
    If we are to go for a ruckman I'd prefer it be a Zak Smith who has real upside and can potentially be a 200 gamer for us, he's a good style of a lad too.

I can see with interchanges going down and the sub rule out that we'll need to two top line rucks next year and we need another one. Neither Nanka or Sam are ready yet and Pyke is on his last legs, I can see him being nothing but depth next year.

But I'm happy with these teams I see predicted for 2016 - I like the idea of growing our own again and we have quite a crop who will be in their third year in our programme - Hewett, Jones, Nanka, Marsh, Alliir, X etc. It's a big year for these kids and if we get 3-4 of them cementing their spot then we'll be looking good

I really hope we don't go after another ruckman. Watching Pyke labour around the field looking lost was too much to take the other night. Looking forward to seeing Goodsey round 1 and renewing my membership for next year.
    Isn't that a reason to be looking for a ruckman? Neither Naismith nor Nanka will be ready next year, Pyke is struggling and it would appear that we will be more inclined to play two rucks now that the sub is going to be removed. BTW Goodsey has retired.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    If we are to go for a ruckman I'd prefer it be a Zak Smith who has real upside and can potentially be a 200 gamer for us, he's a good style of a lad too.
    Agree, Smith is younger, probably better, a much better chance of staying on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Me too but Leuenberger is free.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Isn't that a reason to be looking for a ruckman? Neither Naismith nor Nanka will be ready next year, Pyke is struggling and it would appear that we will be more inclined to play two rucks now that the sub is going to be removed. BTW Goodsey has retired.
    In my humble opinion I think that unless you have a ruckman who is damaging in some way: the calabre of Nic Nat, Goldstein, Mummy or Sandilands type then you might as well blood a youngster or two in the hope they become a significant ruckman or at least give them a consistent opportunity. I don't view our older ruck stocks as having much impact at all for the rest of their careers, nor would I waste resources on a ruckman like Leuenberger who is now 27 years old and hasn't exactly set the Gabba on fire.

I think the mix of Tippett, Reid, a younger body like Naismith or Nanks + someone who can pinch-hit like Towers is enough.

But if you are correct in saying that Naismith and Nanks are underdeveloped, then surely Pyke and Derickx are past it. I would delist the last two to make room for another ruckman, but not hold onto them all.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    My impression of Pyke's situation is that much of the problem is his knees. Can he do what Adam did and try stem cell therapy? In every other respect Pykey has the strength and the skills to do the job. What he needs more than anything else is to recapture his mobility.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    My impression of Pyke's situation is that much of the problem is his knees. Can he do what Adam did and try stem cell therapy? In every other respect Pykey has the strength and the skills to do the job. What he needs more than anything else is to recapture his mobility.
    He's already onto the stem cell treatment. Saved him from a 2013 knee injury that looked set to end his career. We've seen how valuable he is when his knees are right. We just don't know as supporters what the real knee problem is.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

...What about Callum Mills surely he's in the 22 and takes Benny McGlynn spot. If we get Paul Seedsman he'll likely play on the hb line. Teddy may play reserves next year like Pebbles did in 2014

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast