Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Team

Senior Player
    Yep that is basically the team I would go with. I would choose Newman over Dawson simply to get some Neafl time into Dawson. But having said that I would choose papley over b jack as Brandon has been clearly sub standard

I think jones will be fine

Here's what I've got for Round 1.

Injured - unavailable
    McVeigh
    Rohan
    Johnson - gone for 2016, maybe for good

Injured 50/50
    Richards - Should play
    Reid - Probably play
    McGlynn - Probably miss

Certainties
    Hannebery
    Heeney
    Mitchell
    Tippett
    Laidler
    Kennedy
    K Jack
    Sinclair
    Towers
    Franklin
    Rampe
    Parker
    Grundy
    Smith
    Lloyd

Fringe/New Faces
    Mills - Will play
    Cunningham - very likely
    Talia - very likely
    Jones - very likely
    Hewitt - Good chance
    Papley - Good chance
    Newman - maybe
    Rose - outside chance
    B Jack - outside chance
    Robinson - probably not
    Nankervis - probably not
    Hiscox - doubt it
    X Richards - doubt it

Not in the mix right now
    Dawson - Not yet, but looks good
    Leonardis - Not yet
    Davis - What's his story?
    Naismith - still injured/recovering?
    Aliir - Shows some signs, but doesn't seem to be in the mix yet
    Melican - What's happening with him?
    O'Riordan
    Marsh
    Derickx
    Foote
    Murray
    Galloway

So I've got 15 certainties. Three 50/50 injured - I think Richards will play, McGlynn probably not, and Reid should unless the club are hiding something.
    That leaves 5 spots for the fringe/youngsters. Mills is a certainty, so 4 spots to share between Cunningham, Talia, Jones, Hewitt, Papley, Rose, Newman, B. Jack, Robinson, Nankervis, and I'll throw McGlynn into this group as well.

Cunningham, Talia and Jones are all likely, so one of Hewitt or Papley may miss out. Hewitt is ahead of Papley at this stage, but Papley does fill a hole as a small forward. An interesting decision. Maybe both of them get in and someone else is squeezed out. If so who? Perhaps McGlynn gets the nod and they both miss out? I'd have Hewitt in myself. I'd like to see Papley in as well, but just can't see who he displaces.

Would like to see K.Jack get a bit of a shake up this year, I think a rebound defensive role alla Rhyce Shaw would be good for him

Nice analysis and list breakdown there Benevolent Ert. I reckon you're pretty close with all that.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Benevolent Ert View Post
    Here's what I've got for Round 1.

Injured - unavailable
    McVeigh
    Rohan
    Johnson - gone for 2016, maybe for good

Injured 50/50
    Richards - Should play
    Reid - Probably play
    McGlynn - Probably miss

Certainties
    Hannebery
    Heeney
    Mitchell
    Tippett
    Laidler
    Kennedy
    K Jack
    Sinclair
    Towers
    Franklin
    Rampe
    Parker
    Grundy
    Smith
    Lloyd

Fringe/New Faces
    Mills - Will play
    Cunningham - very likely
    Talia - very likely
    Jones - very likely
    Hewitt - Good chance
    Papley - Good chance
    Newman - maybe
    Rose - outside chance
    B Jack - outside chance
    Robinson - probably not
    Nankervis - probably not
    Hiscox - doubt it
    X Richards - doubt it

Not in the mix right now
    Dawson - Not yet, but looks good
    Leonardis - Not yet
    Davis - What's his story?
    Naismith - still injured/recovering?
    Aliir - Shows some signs, but doesn't seem to be in the mix yet
    Melican - What's happening with him?
    O'Riordan
    Marsh
    Derickx
    Foote
    Murray
    Galloway

So I've got 15 certainties. Three 50/50 injured - I think Richards will play, McGlynn probably not, and Reid should unless the club are hiding something.
    That leaves 5 spots for the fringe/youngsters. Mills is a certainty, so 4 spots to share between Cunningham, Talia, Jones, Hewitt, Papley, Rose, Newman, B. Jack, Robinson, Nankervis, and I'll throw McGlynn into this group as well.

Cunningham, Talia and Jones are all likely, so one of Hewitt or Papley may miss out. Hewitt is ahead of Papley at this stage, but Papley does fill a hole as a small forward. An interesting decision. Maybe both of them get in and someone else is squeezed out. If so who? Perhaps McGlynn gets the nod and they both miss out? I'd have Hewitt in myself. I'd like to see Papley in as well, but just can't see who he displaces.
    From the look of Jones at the end of the Carlton game, he may have re-injured his knee. Its hard to see Talia playing if Ted is fit. Hewett is a lock! So is Papley.

Assuming none of the injured players make an appearance, a best side like this might result:

Smith Talia Laidler
    Rampe Grundy Mills
    Lloyd Parker Hanners
    Hewett Franklin Towers
    Papley Sinclair Heeney

Tippett Kennedy
    K Jack

Cunningham Rose Newman BJ

Thats 4 first gamers and 7 with less than 50 games experience. I'm not expecting great things for round one but this is still the makings of a good side that will give a contest. The good thing about that team is that it has a strong midfield and a number of dual sided excellent kicks that can deliver to Buddy and Tippett or kick goals themselves. Lets hope they can do it often.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

If Newman is anywhere near our best 22 this year we are in deep deep deepest poop...

I'm not saying he won't come on further and maybe step up next year but for mine at this stage he is a long long way off being an AFL footballer - not big enough, not quick enough and not skilful enough.

I'm not normally negative about our players but I find very little to get enthused about in this kid

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    We'll run the two close to 50:50. They're both genuine ruck-forwards and we could be pretty lucky with that. Tipp in particular kicked 2 goals a game last year while racking up major ruck time and stats. He's a unique threat in that regard and I think Sinclair could compliment him really well.
    I like the idea of both Sinclair and Tippett rotating through the forward line and sharing the ruck duties, I'd hope that it's more like 60:40 in Tippett's favour down forward but anything that can mix up our game-plan a bit would be welcome.

One area of concern for me in the pre-season was the number of chest marks Sinclair drops, he looks very uncoordinated at times let's hope this doesn't carry over into the season proper

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    If Newman is anywhere near our best 22 this year we are in deep deep deepest poop...

I'm not saying he won't come on further and maybe step up next year but for mine at this stage he is a long long way off being an AFL footballer - not big enough, not quick enough and not skilful enough.

I'm not normally negative about our players but I find very little to get enthused about in this kid
    I've watched a fair bit of him in the ressies and I think he may be a solution, Marsh is the only other option. His kicking is normally excellent and the fluffed kicks in the Carlton game were not good examples of his kicking. He was regularly getting similar possession numbers as Hewett in the ressies and making good use of them. Somewhat Malceskiesque. I think you have to cut him some slack for playing at this level for the first time in the last couple of weeks.He is still adjusting to the pace.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    So I would like to see papley and Newman upgraded.

Veterans List
    I see that Callum Mills said he is hoping to get a couple of senior games this year. The lad is so modest, I'm hoping he plays 23 more than that :-)

Was having a think last night and after round 1 was thinking what i believe would be our strongest possible team for this year. A team that I would rate to go into battle for a premiership this season if we had no injuries. The only player not included who I believe would be in the 22 if injury free is AJ simply because he has missed too much to be included at this time.

Here we go...

B. Rampe, T. Richards, Laidler.
    HB. Rohan, Grundy, Mills.
    C. Cunningham, Parker, Hannebery.
    HF. McVeigh, Franklin, Heeney.
    F. Papley, Tippett, Reid.
    Foll. Sinclair, Kennedy, K. Jack.

Int. Mitchell, Smith, Lloyd, Hewett.

Emerg. Talia, Jones, Towers.

Now this is my dream lineup that I think when all playing their best football could go all the way in 2016! Big call yes but it is a side with a great mix of experience and youth, matched with skill and toughness plus some versatility.

There are some tough omissions, most notably the 3 emergencies but with no injuries to speak of there is always hard luck stories. I went with Rohan over Jones because at this point i feel that an in form Rohan adds more to us with his speed, skill and X factor. Reid wins over Towers simply because of his versatility and when he's at his most confident he his easily our best marking forward. Talia misses out to Teddy but i think it'll be for only this year and he could no doubt be used if we needed a 3rd tall.

Then you have the next couple who just miss my 25 being McGlynn, Rose and Robinson. Not bad to have those blokes as depth with probably the stiffest one to most being McGlynn. I simply think that Papley has gone past him already and his best football is behind him. I have no doubt we'll probably see him in the senior team this year but as i said earlier this is MY team with no injuries to pick the best 22.

What do all the RWOers think of the lineup??? What changes, if any, would you make?

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Was having a think last night and after round 1 was thinking what i believe would be our strongest possible team for this year. A team that I would rate to go into battle for a premiership this season if we had no injuries. The only player not included who I believe would be in the 22 if injury free is AJ simply because he has missed too much to be included at this time.

Here we go...

B. Rampe, T. Richards, Laidler.
    HB. Rohan, Grundy, Mills.
    C. Cunningham, Parker, Hannebery.
    HF. McVeigh, Franklin, Heeney.
    F. Papley, Tippett, Reid.
    Foll. Sinclair, Kennedy, K. Jack.

Int. Mitchell, Smith, Lloyd, Hewett.

Emerg. Talia, Jones, Towers.

Now this is my dream lineup that I think when all playing their best football could go all the way in 2016! Big call yes but it is a side with a great mix of experience and youth, matched with skill and toughness plus some versatility.

There are some tough omissions, most notably the 3 emergencies but with no injuries to speak of there is always hard luck stories. I went with Rohan over Jones because at this point i feel that an in form Rohan adds more to us with his speed, skill and X factor. Reid wins over Towers simply because of his versatility and when he's at his most confident he his easily our best marking forward. Talia misses out to Teddy but i think it'll be for only this year and he could no doubt be used if we needed a 3rd tall.

Then you have the next couple who just miss my 25 being McGlynn, Rose and Robinson. Not bad to have those blokes as depth with probably the stiffest one to most being McGlynn. I simply think that Papley has gone past him already and his best football is behind him. I have no doubt we'll probably see him in the senior team this year but as i said earlier this is MY team with no injuries to pick the best 22.

What do all the RWOers think of the lineup??? What changes, if any, would you make?
    As the Pres of the Dean Towers Fan Club I'd have in him in the side, he just manages to find a way to contribute every week and he did a lot of 1% ers last week like going third man up a lot. I'd reluctantly leave Rohan out and have McVeigh on the HBF and Towers on the HFF. I'm also not quite sure if I'd have Harry in the best 22 so maybe he and Rohan would fight out that wing spot.

I think by the end of the season Jones will be very hard to leave out, Smith suddenly looks a bit vulnerable for his spot in the 22 which is a crazy thing to say. I guess the reality is that it is very rare to have your best 22 so it would be rare that all 25 of those guys won't get a run if available this year.

Our depth is really starting to increase with the three newbies doing so well, you'd hope that Sam and BJ will be added to that list by the end of the season but from all reports BJ is really struggling this season so far