Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Team

Sorry, I've always liked Pyke, but we gotta drop him. He's cooked. Need a better ruckman who actually does something.

Also, I hate to say it, but our team would look a lot better without McGlynn. He tries his guts out and is a fighter, but he just lacks the physical attributes to influence a game. I'm not very confident going into a game when he gets selected. Someone who tries his guts out and can influence a game is Rohan. If McGlynn takes a massive paycut it would be worth keeping him.

Benny needs to be cut a bit of slack and not judged on his last couple of games. If he can have a full preseason and stay clear of injuries he will be back to his previous form

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    I will call before the game. The Swans game was a fair team losing to a fair team. Home and away games sets up the ladder but finals are totally different. The 2 defence teams, us and Freo, will get thrashed by WC and the Hawks.

The game is changing and attack is taking over.

And next year more attacking teams will beat us. 5th for I50 but 10th for goals. The coaching crew still make our players bomb it in to the forwards. The better teams using the ball will found us out.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Sorry, I've always liked Pyke, but we gotta drop him. He's cooked. Need a better ruckman who actually does something.

Also, I hate to say it, but our team would look a lot better without McGlynn. He tries his guts out and is a fighter, but he just lacks the physical attributes to influence a game. I'm not very confident going into a game when he gets selected. Someone who tries his guts out and can influence a game is Rohan. If McGlynn takes a massive paycut it would be worth keeping him.
    Pyke is close to the end of a marvellous career - he'll provide good back up as our third ruckman which really means we do need to bring one in.

Benny was cruelled by injuries this year but it is hard to see him going beyond the end of his contract next year when he will be 31

Certainly don't agree with cutting Ben McGlynn....Especially having just lost Goodes and Shaw.

With a good pre season, McGlynn will be in our best 22...You can't manufacture his experience and hardness.

He'll probably play more forward than midfield, which IMO is his best role anyway....

This won't be popular, but Rohan is a player I'd be looking closely at...Like most, I love watching him play but...

He's sporadically dynamic, often goes missing, and plays with a recklessness that often leaves him incapacitated.

He needs to be more consistent and play with more awareness/intelligence in terms of his own health.....Just look at his ridiculous collision with Petrie last week.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 23rd September 2015 at 11:30 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Certainly don't agree with cutting Ben McGlynn....Especially having just lost Goodes and Shaw.

With a good pre season, McGlynn will be in our best 22...You can't manufacture his experience and hardness.

He'll probably play more forward than midfield, which IMO is his best role anyway....
    He's under contract, we'll be honouring that contract I am sure as no-one would trade for him at this stage.

So, Benny, Ted and Pykey to retire in 2016

Imagine Jarred won't play on after the year after when his contract finishes and possibly Reg too

Overall the ageing of our list doesn't seem an issue to me

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    He's under contract, we'll be honouring that contract I am sure as no-one would trade for him at this stage.

Imagine Jarred won't play on after the year after when his contract finishes
    McVeigh will play until he reaches 300 he said that previously so atleast two more seasons should hand over captaincy after next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

Imagine Jarred won't play on after the year after when his contract finishes and possibly Reg too

Overall the ageing of our list doesn't seem an issue to me
    Reg will be 32 when his new contract finishes in 3 years, which is not that old for a key defender these days, but probably just about the right time.

As for Macca, he had a pretty good year statistically, had a few excellent games and did some big things at critical moments. But there seems to be a general feeling that his skill level has slipped and he's made some bad errors at times. He's been a very fit player that hasn't been troubled by injury much, so there's no telling how long he'll go on for.

I too am not worried about the aging of our list. In fact, the quality of our young midfielders is probably second to none in the league. The only concern is our ability to replace key defenders, but there are lots of clubs facing similar concerns. Perhaps the answer is a complete domination in the midfield so the ball never enters our defensive zone.

Kieran Jack isn't captain material. Sorry to say. I predicted he'd be the future captain in 2010, but don't think he's up for it. I next predicted Hannebery as the captain but think he's a bit too immature for that.

Give the captaincy to Parker ASAP. Don't care how young he is. He's a born leader.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Kieran Jack isn't captain material. Sorry to say. I predicted he'd be the future captain in 2010, but don't think he's up for it. I next predicted Hannebery as the captain but think he's a bit too immature for that.

Give the captaincy to Parker ASAP. Don't care how young he is. He's a born leader.
    I think Callum Mills is the next captain when ever anyone talks about the kid they always end up talking about his leadership, Parker isn't a natural leader he's like Bolton he's got heart. Mills could do to the Swans what Selwood did for Geelong and drive a stagnating group.

Parker is an inspiring leader and developing his leadership skills more and more. Didn't he join the leadership group this year?

I don't think Hannebery should be underestimated either. He is less obviously captain material but he is bright, talented and very hard working. Who knows what may happen one day? I wouldn't support him becoming captain at this stage however - Parker seems closer.

Mills should certainly not be made captain immediately! Even Selwood wasn't made captain until he was nearly 24 and in his 6th season playing for the Cats - and that was considered young. Which is not to say Mills can't start leading with his actions and words in an unofficial capacity from the get-go.

Only watched a handful of highlights, but is Mills really gonna slot into the midfield straight away? Heeney was only able to fit into the team as a small forward, because it wasn't as physically demanding.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast