Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Team

Veterans List
    A quote by Tippo yesterday "With Bud (Lance Franklin), Dean Towers, Brandon Jack, Isaac (Heeney), Cal (Callum Mills), myself and Sam Reid, we're getting a lot of time together and getting a lot of reps together which is important for our chemistry."

So this is the group that has been training as forwards this pre season, looks like Heeney and Mills are earmarked for forward time, the latter is interesting because there was some thought of Mills being a HBF and Heeney isn't being rushed into the mid role too soon.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    A quote by Tippo yesterday "With Bud (Lance Franklin), Dean Towers, Brandon Jack, Isaac (Heeney), Cal (Callum Mills), myself and Sam Reid, we're getting a lot of time together and getting a lot of reps together which is important for our chemistry."

So this is the group that has been training as forwards this pre season, looks like Heeney and Mills are earmarked for forward time, the latter is interesting because there was some thought of Mills being a HBF and Heeney isn't being rushed into the mid role too soon.
    I suspect that the journo/editor incorrectly interpreted 'Cal' to be Mills. It is far more likely Tippett was referring to Sinclair, particularly given the rest of the article. That's not to say its not possible that Mills might spend some time up forward. I just don't think we should be concluding it from this article.

Wouldn't bother me at all seeing Heeney up forward for at least another year.

Agree with Liz re that the reference was probably meant for Sinclair. I have a feeling Mills may be ready for the midfield from Day 1, I think he just may be that good. It sounds like he has slotted in to an AFL programme like he has been in it all his life and from all reports he is an absolute beast already. I guess we'll have a better idea after the trial games

That forward line now has a lot of experience playing together

I think that is Cal Sinclair not Mills. Apparently Mills has been spending more time with the defensive crew

Hewett looked AFL standard the couple of times I saw him in the NEAFL, got plenty of the ball and distributed well. Think he can play a role for us this year.

Looking forward to see how Melican goes this year, very young and injured last year but a good size in a position we need back ups. 2017 for him I'd reckon.
    Yep I'd say Melican can come in maybe late in the season as an upgrade if someone gets injured. Can play wing or HB. I think the only reason Hewett has been hald back is due to him having a body that wasn't quite at the mature stage. Looking at him this preseason there is nothing immature about his body now. He built up last year but was not quite... the other fact was we had some pretty good mids keeping a tight rein on the positions. Changes of position to some players will help him I think.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    ... Apparently Mills has been spending more time with the defensive crew
    With Macca no certainty to start the season, maybe Mills is being given a chance to take up spot running off HB? He did appear to play more of a defender during the practice match in Coffs.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Yep I'd say Melican can come in maybe late in the season as an upgrade if someone gets injured. Can play wing or HB. I think the only reason Hewett has been hald back is due to him having a body that wasn't quite at the mature stage. Looking at him this preseason there is nothing immature about his body now. He built up last year but was not quite... the other fact was we had some pretty good mids keeping a tight rein on the positions. Changes of position to some players will help him I think.
    Can't wait to see some of these younger blokes in action. Hewett's year for sure!

I always get a bit confused about the status of some of the players who don't get to play in the senior team. I'd be grateful for confirmation if the following is correct - or otherwise correction.

The Swans are going into the 2016 season with a total list of 46 players of whom: 38 (including Alex Johnson) are on the senior list; six are rookies (Robinson, Foote, Melican, Murray, Newman and Papley); and two are International Category B rookies (O'Riordan and Galloway). We are likely to place Johnson on the long-term list again (sadly) and then upgrade one rookie (presumably Robinson).

Have I got this right?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I always get a bit confused about the status of some of the players who don't get to play in the senior team. I'd be grateful for confirmation if the following is correct - or otherwise correction.

The Swans are going into the 2016 season with a total list of 46 players of whom: 38 (including Alex Johnson) are on the senior list; six are rookies (Robinson, Foote, Melican, Murray, Newman and Papley); and two are International Category B rookies (O'Riordan and Galloway). We are likely to place Johnson on the long-term list again (sadly) and then upgrade one rookie (presumably Robinson).

Have I got this right?
    Marsh was "demoted" to the rookie list and I am pretty sure Robinson is now permanently on the senior list. It's hard to confirm because the club hasn't bothered to update the player pages on the website. These are showing 38 senior players, including Robinson and Marsh but excluding Naismith, who's still shown on the rookie list page.

I'm not sure which, if any, of the local boys were nominated as a Category B rookie. One of them - at least - must have been because we're only allowed 6 Category A rookies.

Because the senior list only has 38 players, the club is allowed to nominate up to two rookie listed players who are eligible to play senior footy with the need for their to be a long term injury. I believe this entitlement is subject to salary cap space but how exactly that works I am not sure. I don't recall the Swans ever taking advantage of this ability to nominate rookies. Maybe that's because the salary cap hasn't allowed it, or maybe it's because they've not thought it necessary, or deemed anyone worthy of being nominated. The last rookie listed player to be promoted to the senior team early in a season was Rampe, at the start of 2013. But I am pretty sure he was elevated as a result of Johnson's long term injury.

I'd have thought Newman would be at the front of the queue for promotion. Or maybe Marsh, if he's had a good pre-season. They both have the potential to fill the medium sized, quick running, long kicking rebounding role that screams out as being a need to be filled. I know Laidler has said he hopes to replace Shaw's role but I'm not convinced he's really got the tools fo that.

Thanks Liz. So if I were to take Robinson off the rookie list and replace him with Marsh, you think my lists would then be right? I'm pretty confident re the Cat. B rookies from something I read. But the club doesn't make it easy to find this info. or up-to-date info. as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thanks Liz. So if I were to take Robinson off the rookie list and replace him with Marsh, you think my lists would then be right? I'm pretty confident re the Cat. B rookies from something I read. But the club doesn't make it easy to find this info. or up-to-date info. as you said.
    I think that's right, except that it may be Foote that's a category B rookie and not Galloway.

Also, I believe that Tom Derickx is now a Category M senior listed player.

which mean that due to his status as a male model is permitted to carry a padded mat during all contact drills to protect his face from bruising.

Oh gawd, I find this complicated. I don't think Foote is Cat. B as he came out of the Swans Academy. But I've just found the quote as below - so Galloway and Murray are Cat. B. So with O'Riordan (our Irish recruit) do we have three Cat. Bs? And if so, do we only have five Cat. A rookies?

"The Sydney Swans are pleased to announce Kyle Galloway and Sam Murray have joined the club as Category B Rookies."

Swans draft giant ruckman - sydneyswans.com.au