Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: 2016 Team

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Mitchell is a very good player and getting better. If he is on the market looking for more money there will be more than just Carlton after him. You would think that Richmond, after losing Treloar to the Pies would have a crack. St. Kilda and Hawthorn could be other destinations.

I think Mitchell will stay and hope he does, but if he chases the money I think we will let him go. There will be others at our club looking for big contracts soon enough. As good a he is, he is a player that we can let go without much effect to the team due to our quality midfield depth. Heeney, Mills, Hewett and Jones are lining up to fill any hole his departure would leave.

If I'd had to choose between keeping Hewett or Mitchell, it would be Hewett. I think he will turn out to be the better player and more adaptable to the modern game.
    Too much Thai whiskey.

His manager said he wants to stay in Sydney, so he'll stay in Sydney. A ridiculous article made up of nothing but mischief making and idle speculation.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Any sentence containing the words "Mitchell" and "Trade" should be banned from this website.
    Guilty as charged your honour

I agree it is a non story at this stage, I'd be staggered id Tom wasn't really enjoying his footy and I reckon for an AFL footballer being in Sydney on decent coin would be a brilliant environment. I know we all think the hero worship they get in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide would be tempting, and I guess it is intoxicating for a while, but I reckon it wears a bit thin and I think the players up here really enjoy the environment.

It sounds like they are definitely having dialogue which is a great sign but we'd be na�ve to think there won't be some competition and if we aren't at least in the ballpark financially then we're vulnerable. Having said that it is way to early to be worried (even though I have been speculating constantly on here) but if he isn't locked up by the end of July that would be a worrying sign.

The others I'd be gobsmacked if we didn't re-sign the lot.

We won't be the only club in this position and I think we have the nucleus of our squad pretty well tied up. If the cap does increase by a whopping $4-5M a year as predicted then it really will send shockwaves through the comp so we've done well to get Buddy, Tippett, Hanners, Parker, Rampe and Reg locked into long term deals really.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Too much Thai whiskey.
    I think the Regency Brandy is a good value, but too hot this time of year.

Anyway, I know you like those in and under guys and that's okay. With Mitchell and Hewett we have 2 good players at the early stage of their careers. I hope one day we will still be having this discussion about who is better; sort of like who is better between Dangerfield and Fyfe.

Mitchell came the 'gun' label when he was drafted and was expected to go top 5 if not taken by us as a FS selection. He's living up to expectations. I'm a big fan and I see some real improvement in his kicking and general play this year. He is a gun. Sometimes you see a young player that gets drafted with little fanfare and there's something that impresses about them. I got that feeling about Jake Lloyd and think he's lived up to my early impressions. I had the same kind of impression about Hewett, but even more so. Time will tell whether he becomes an elite midfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Any sentence containing the words "Mitchell" and "Trade" should be banned from this website.
    I'm sure Sybil80 will find a way to get back on the site at some stage, so I doubt we've seen the last of it...

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    What about if the VFL tell the Vic clubs what the new TPP will be and then Vic club 'people' talk to Mitchells manager, as they are not allowed to talk to players, and seeds are planted into managers mind.

They leave a note thinking it is a phone number but it is in fact a contract amount. 5450 9000.

5 years. Total $4 500 000. $900K per year

No free, play-on.

Then the player suddenly get their own club amount.

4 years. Total $2 800 000. $700K per year.

Players see an extra $1.7m, in the other offer.

The 5th year, sorry magpies, but they caved on the 5th and a massive expensive blunder if your not sure about the last year.

Who would stay for $1.7m less.

"The Force most be strong in this one" to stay!

The Vic clubs get a legal false start.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I'm sure Sybil80 will find a way to get back on the site at some stage, so I doubt we've seen the last of it...
    I'm just thinking, if we offered Tom Mitchell, this year's first round draft pick and George Hewett, do you think Carlton would consider trading Weiterling?

- - - Updated - - -

PS - the answer would be No, I was just challenging Matt80

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I have seen multiple references to the situation at Hawthorn where players have stayed there for the on-field success while being paid (relatively speaking) unders. I don't see why something similar won't happen in Sydney - allowing that Lance is a special case. But then he is a special player.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I have seen multiple references to the situation at Hawthorn where players have stayed there for the on-field success while being paid (relatively speaking) unders. I don't see why something similar won't happen in Sydney - allowing that Lance is a special case. But then he is a special player.
    I'm not arguing against the thought that the desirability of playing for the Swans might outweigh an opportunity for a salary upgrade at another club - but I wonder how many of the Hawthorn players have (legitimate) third-party contracts which pay handsomely? Much more likely to be offered in Melbourne than in Sydney where AFL and AFL players are relatively unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Part of the deal at Hawthorn, and it eats away at this whole selective notion of equalisation, is that they know that players will stay for unders at Hawthorn because there is also a huge amount of media and promotional work that presents itself and earns huge money that is provided by being at the biggest club in Melbourne. And they have their well organised coteries which are just an excuse for a bung really.

I'm not sure that Sydney has quite that extra-curricular opportunities for outside earnings and I'm not quite sure it ever will. But I do think that players enjoy the environment here and it's the old law of diminishing returns when it comes to salary as a motivator - sure it will be a big deal for a player on $150,000 to be offered $100,000 more but for a player on $550,000 a deal at $650,000 a season does not have the same extra appeal.

They start asking questions like "Where would I prefer to live", "Where am I the best chance of winning a flag" and the likelihood of a player staying for say $100,000 under is increased dramatically IMO if they are also a Sydney boy who has grown up following the swans and wants to be close to family and friends. As well as the fact we get fully character referenced individuals who know our systems inside out, I see this as the next huge benefit of the academy system and it's not one GWS will really mine due to the fact that they don't invest in Sydney

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Meg and Mug - I wouldn't be surprised if you are absolutely right about the Hawthorn/Melbourne situation.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536