Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swans 2015 season review

Swans 2015 season review

Adam Curley's Swans season review on afl.com.au leaves a bit to be desired - Season review: Sydney Swans - AFL.com.au. While parts of it I agree with, other parts are infected by error, - as are many of Mr Curley's posts about the Swans for afl.com.au for that matter.

For example: Derickx is not a candidate for delisting. This is because, as far as I know, he is contracted until the end of next year. Similarly it is not true that Perris and Newman were "not able to get on the park" - both played at NEAFL level. Both are (and remain for now) rookies and so are not eligible to play for the first team. Besides which I wouldn't delist them simply for being injured - while it is not Perris first injury I don't think we are yet in a position to conclude that either has a body that is not up to the rigours of AFL footy.

Overall I found it a disappointing season which was hard to enjoy, not least because of the bitter taste hanging over from last year's GF. We didn't have many good wins and we often didn't play well. We struggled to beat many of the lowlier teams (until the last few rounds) and we lost to most of those who finished high up on the ladder. Perhaps our best win was over the Hawks at the G in round 8 and even that was hard to enjoy. I was there (my first ever game at the G!) and, despite a pretty big crowd, close match and stirring win, it was marred by the fact it felt we were the lucky beneficiaries of Hawthorn's inaccurate kicking and, especially, the very noticeable booing of Adam Goodes.

The booing of Adam Goodes over the rest of the season culminating in his low key exit was another lowlight. I was at the semi-final against North also and ran down to the fence at the end to try and cheer off Shaw and Goodes (I anticipated his retirement) but while they did chair off Rhyce there wasn't much acknowledgment of the crowd and I was on the other side of the ground so didn't feel like I got a chance to say goodbye at all. My opinion of Goodsie was enhanced by his handling of it all but my enjoyment of the game was diminished. I found myself often not interested in games except those involving the Swans and they were often frustrating.

Then the injuries and Buddy's illness leading to a straight sets exit capped it off. I feel like although a top 4 finish was a good result and all I would have asked for at the beginning of the year, it was a result that flattered us somewhat - shown up in our straight sets exit (even though that was partially excused by the outs we had and our good effort against Freo).

On the upside, was the emergence of some of the next generation, especially Heeney. His sunny disposition and hard, classy game really give hope. Also good to see that we are getting more and more games into Cunningham, Towers, Jones, Rose, Lloyd, Robbo, BJ etc. etc. While I am not convinced yet that any of them are going to be elite, they are all showing something and doing enough to earn their games. Hopefully they will continue to improve and meanwhile we have the next batch brewing in the NEAFL, many of whom will hopefully get a chance to strut their stuff next year: Hewett, X, Aliir, Naismith, Davis, maybe Marsh, Newman. Maybe one day even Perris and AJ will make it back - they will be happy days indeed! With Mills and others coming to the Swans over the off-season and the fact that most of our best players are young (especially our midfield) I have hopes for the future and expect us to manage finals if not top 4 next year - with real hope of a flag if we can settle down a good backline, get Buddy and Tippo firing and sort something decent out in the ruck.

What did everyone else think? And does anyone else find Mr Curley's posts (especially in 'In the mix' each week during the season) on afl.com.au frustratingly ignorant? I presume he does get paid for his work.

I would like to put in a request for a 2016 season where we are not constantly in the media for one reason or another. Buddy, Cola, Academies, Trade bans and Goodesy, it's all been a bit much on top of the GF last year.
    I'm looking forward to a better year in 2016.

I agree with your analysis - I don't think we ever clicked on all cylinders and then had all the injuries at the wrong time of the yr. Our performances against Hawthorn and West Coast were two of the worst I have seen by us for many yrs.

upside was Heeny, Tippo and Towers (at the end)

we need to change our game plan to match the likes of the Doggies. Their speed, no's at the ball, precision and ability to play for each other is something to watch. We are a long way behind this type of game

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    What did everyone else think?
    Agree with pretty much all you wrote. I thought we started OK, especially enjoyed Dan averaging 30 disposals a game for the first 4 in a row or something like that. But I felt like we were never really in it, despite the top 4 finish. The way we rolled over and gave up against Hawthorn at ANZ made me think there was little point progressing far into finals, it would just go like last year. Basic skills were really off when it mattered in too many games.

Agree with your upsides too. Loved watching Heeney, unbelievably good for one so young. Good to see Tippett finally find form too. I hope to see more of Jones next year and good on Towers for lifting in the finals. I hope one of our big young ruck prospects comes good too, because we really need someone there.

"There's always next season"

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    we need to change our game plan to match the likes of the Doggies...
    I don't think that is the case, it is generally the teams that come up with a new defensive strategy, Hawks and Clarko's Cluster and the Wiggles with the Web, that set the pace for Aussie Rules. Horse needs to look at that and what tools he has to use and then create a defence that will win the ball back and get it cleanly into our forward line, simple :-)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Honestly Dewy should leave he's so focused on getting a senior coaching job i think he's dropped the ball this year and get a new assistant in maybe ROK.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    Honestly Dewy should leave he's so focused on getting a senior coaching job i think he's dropped the ball this year and get a new assistant in maybe ROK.
    KIRKY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    KIRKY!!!
    YES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    KIRKY!!!
    Perhaps that's the trade the Swans should ask for to let go Jetta?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I would like to put in a request for a 2016 season where we are not constantly in the media for one reason or another. Buddy, Cola, Academies, Trade bans and Goodesy, it's all been a bit much on top of the GF last year.
    I'm looking forward to a better year in 2016.
    And loosing Jetta is the cherry on top...Annus horribilis may be a little strong, but it hasn't been a good year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    And loosing Jetta is the cherry on top...Annus horribilis may be a little strong, but it hasn't been a good year.
    I think of it more as Anus horribilis:

Veterans List
    Eeeewww! I'll never looks at Gil's mouth the same again, even though I have become used to complete sh-t regularly flowing from it! My view of the season overall was of underachievement with a fair dose of bad luck thrown in. Fourth probably flattered us, and it would be easy to think it was Bloods Spirit that won us games when we weren't playing well(at all!), but we seemed to lack that at times this season, a la last years GF(WC game and 2nd Hawks game among others). The spirit returned in the last few rounds and the final against Freo big time, so if the boys can continue that, the young guys come through on the same page and we can some how trade in/draft some 'role appropriate' talent, the future could/should still be bright. Go Swans in 2016!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast