Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Grand Final - Sunday 27th September

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    I just think it's a shame that some good up and coming young umpires are not given the opportunity to umpire a grand final. There comes a time in many players football careers that see the youth knocking on the door of selection and they think to themselves that although they can still mix it with the big boys they are holding back the development of the next generation of talent by holding down their position. So they opt to play ressies or thirds and give help and support where it is needed.
    Obviously this philosophy ain't alive in the Sydney umpiring fraternity.
    Alternatively there is no one at all even close to being good enough to be given a PD gf and thus they must go with the man who they know will do the job. So hats off to him and the question must be asked......where has all the development gone wrong.
    Commonly known as roster blockers at work.

Regular in the Side
    I played many a game when Harvey was "running" in the early 2000s.
    He wasn't the worse around, actually he never affected the outcome of a game and with that in mind I reckon he was alright. As negative as that sounds, I'd happily have him umpire my game back in his hey day any time. Maybe not PD but he mostly did lower div anyway. Let's not be so harsh I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    Didn't see that coming at three quarter time. But that's what we love about our game - it's unscripted & anything can happen.
    I'm standing in the middle of Henson Park. The ecstacy of Pennant Hills and the agony of East Coast just metres from each other.
    A great win for the game in Sydney - now let's hope that the state funding of ECE can end next year...

Well done Penno!!!

You have to wonder what the future holds in store for Baulko.
    They seem to have put all their eggs in the one basket of a flag today, to justify all the pain that 2015 has brought them. For a team with such strong pedigree and accelerated learning programmes, today they looked, well, pretty insipid, held together with sticky tape, and didn't seriously look like winning.
    Some of their big names were virtually unsighted....Reed, Dimery, OConnell, Charleston, John Vlatko, Stubbs...was Kruger even playing ?
    And they turned it up bigtime after the fifteen minute mark in the last when they really needed to stand up.
    So what awaits ? They have major off-field issues to deal with, they will lose players now, and their magooes are nothing special in terms of providing the next generation. And they have the knowledge that they couldn't even compete at season's end with all the expensive cattle that they had on display.

And I'd put in a final shoutout to Frank K, retiring after 512 they say. I thought he did a fine job today.
    Paging Harvey Wallbanger....come out of retirement because you are required. You can have all the NorWest Jets games if your a good boy !!
    Last edited by justabaraker; 27th September 2015 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    You have to wonder what the future holds in store for Baulko.
    They seem to have put all their eggs in the one basket of a flag today, to justify all the pain that 2015 has brought them. But today they looked, well, pretty insipid, held together with sticky tape, and didn't seriously look like winning.
    Some of their big names were virtually unsighted....Reed, Dimery, OConnell, Charleston, John Vlatko, Stubbs...was Kruger even playing ?
    And they turned it up bigtime after the fifteen minute mark in the last when they really needed to stand up.
    So what awaits ? They have major off-field issues to deal with, they will lose players now, and their magooes are nothing special in terms of providing the next generation. And they have the knowledge that they couldn't even compete at season's end with all the expensive cattle that they had on display.
    It just goes to show the absolute folly of their NEAFL foray.

In contrast Penno are a club that are built form the ground up with a huge junior culture. They should be the template for every district club in Sydney.

I get the impression North Shore are trying to go down that route now and their U19 victory today should hopefully give them some major talent to bring through the grades if they are managed correctly, they'd be hoping for at least three additional wins in 2016

Yeh penno look the goods as a club. Hopefully at st george we get a div 4/5 side. Hard to bring new players or keep a lot of 19s when they have to play div 1 which is a pretty decent standard these days.

With north shore, its easy to keep your 19s side together when your seniors are @@@@ house and have no chance. There was 8 or 9 guys playing seniors finals at st george instead of 19s. North shore did thoroughly out class us, but chuck the 5 rising star nominations, plus guys like preesey and even tomlins who have been playing seniors for the past 2 years then who knows.

Would laugh hard if ece loses most of their players (surely the do) and misses finals next year.

Maybe the cheques didn't clear on time?

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Maybe the cheques didn't clear on time?
    Nothing to worry about clearing

Interesting finals series. 10 comps, 2 minor premiers taking the silverware.

PD: Pennant Hills (3) Def East Coast (1)
    D1: Sydney Uni (5) def Pennant Hills (3) - Balmain (1) and UTS (2) both not making GF
    D2: Blacktwon (2) def Camden (1)
    D3: Sydney Uni (2) def UTS (1)
    D4: Wollondilly (3) def Mac Uni (1)
    D5: UTS (1) def UNSW (3)
    19's1: North Shore (3) def UNSW (2) - Penno (1) not making GF
    19's2: Wests (2) def Parramatta (1)
    WD1: Newtown (2) def Sydney Uni (1)
    WD2: Gosford (1) def Penrith (4)

Well done to all the premiers. Penno looked to have a very young side in their win and set for a big 2016. The amount of PD players in Penno's two yesterday also interesting and thought they would win easily. On the other hand, East Coast looked ordinary. Only losing two games all year, the first and last.

Warming the Bench
    Well done to Penno its safe to say no one gave them a chance and I think it showed what champion team can do to a team of champions.

Its safe to say the ECE year was a complete wastes for their "superstars" they "came back down to win a comp" and they didn't , nothing short of failure of a season.

Another questions needs to be raised of the Sydney Afl, why on earth was the Grand Final on a Sunday? and why at Henson park, watching it streamed looked like we went back 10 years...... I can imagine all games would have been different if they were at blacktown.

Quote Originally Posted by Footy Barista View Post

Another questions needs to be raised of the Sydney Afl, why on earth was the Grand Final on a Sunday? and why at Henson park, watching it streamed looked like we went back 10 years...... I can imagine all games would have been different if they were at blacktown.
    Have to agree with this. Can anyone answer why the hell it was at Henson on a Sunday? I've asked a few people (not many admittedly) and no one seems to have a reasonable answer. Wasn't a great crowd out there and the surface is not great (OK but not great). Shouldn't we be playing the Premier GF at the best venue?

Quote Originally Posted by nugget View Post
    Have to agree with this. Can anyone answer why the hell it was at Henson on a Sunday? I've asked a few people (not many admittedly) and no one seems to have a reasonable answer. Wasn't a great crowd out there and the surface is not great (OK but not great). Shouldn't we be playing the Premier GF at the best venue?
    I asked someone this question as I attended with a couple of old buddies for a look. They said that the clubs were given the option of 2 wet weather rounds and the GF at Henson or 1 and GF's at Blacktown last week - apparently clubs said 2 and Henson. Personally I didn't mind the tight physical style played (windy in 19s and Div 1 in particular). Congrats to all teams and Premiers in particular.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast