Thread: Assistant Coach swap out?

Veterans List

Assistant Coach swap out?

http://sturtfc.com.au/sturtfc-news/senior-coach-announced

8 October, 2015

Sturt Football Club has appointed Martin Mattner as its Senior Coach.
    A respected coach and footballer Mattner joins the Double Blues from the Sydney Swans Football Club.
    Mattner, 33 years, has spent the previous two years in the roles of Assistant & Development Coach at the Swans.
    From Ki Ki in South Australia, Mattner was a talented player for the Double Blues where he played 47 league games and was part of the 2002 Premiership side.
    The Adelaide Football Club drafted him in 2002 and in 2008 he was traded to the Sydney Swans where he played in the 2012 premiership side. Mattner retired in 2013 having played 222 AFL games.
    Sturt President Jason Kilic said the Board had no hesitation in endorsing Mattner as Senior Coach.
    �The feedback we have received about Mattner reinforces what we already knew � He is a quality individual and an outstanding football person who has been involved in a football culture second to none,� Kilic said.
    General Manager Football Shane Grimm said Mattner was a perfect fit for the current playing group.
    �Mattner is a respected figure in Australian Rules Football and the right man to lead our Club down a path of sustained success,� Grimm said.
    �Our search was thorough and intensive and we interviewed numerous outstanding candidates, however Mattner emerged as the standout, possessing an astute football mind and team-first approach.�
    Mattner said he was honoured to become the Club�s 19th and first full time Senior Coach.
    �I would like to thank the Board for its belief and trust,� Mattner said.
    �I am 100 percent committed to this challenge. Sturt has a good list and I am excited to be involved with the restructure of the Club�s football department."
    �My focus will be team first, hard work and superior habits.�

Kirk in - Mattner out.

Of course. Win Win Win (I put in an extra just because). Love it.

Now where are we going to put Shaw.......have to keep him, he is just too high a value club man to lose in the slip stream.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veterans List
    Marty's final quarter spoil in the 2012 GF will live in my memory with Leo's and Mal's heroic efforts.

Well and truly GS. It was a cracker.

It was his player's strength wasn't it. When the last gasp spoil, tackle, block was essential, we could trust Marty to deliver.

I hope he goes on to serious coaching success.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Marty's final quarter spoil in the 2012 GF will live in my memory with Leo's and Mal's heroic efforts.
    Absolutely. I actually think it was a far more pivotal moment in the GF than Mal's final goal (it would of taken something immensely special for Hawthorn to win from there given how much time was on the clock). Mattner's effort was at a critical juncture of the game, and had he not done that, the Hawks were away.

Good luck to Marty - he may yet return as our senior coach one of these days!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Sturt players had better not even think of ducking a contest :
    Martin was up there with the very best when it came to courage.

There were times when his decision-making was terrible and I do not think he had a particularly good "football brain", but what surprised me was that he actually improved when he was pushing 30 - most unusual for a footballer.

Anyway,he's a Red and White Immortal.Good luck and all the best to you,MM !