Thread: Bob Skilton Medal winners

Senior Player

Bob Skilton Medal winners

Anyone want to have a crack at the medal winners and top ten for the Bob Skilton Medal?

I found it tough to work out where Jack and Parker fit in, given their injury stretches. It will be pretty congested between 3-9 I reckon. Looking back at the top 5 thread I started earlier in the year, I note how high Jetta fared in our assessments - such a shame he fell a way to the extent he did.

10 Shaw
    9 McVeigh
    8 Grundy
    7 Rampe
    6 Mitchell
    5 Parker
    4 Jack
    3 Tippett
    2 Kennedy
    1 Hannebery

Other awards (a few repeat winners here):

Rising Star: Heeney
    Most Improved: Mitchell (over Rampe)
    Best Clubman: Shaw
    Players' Player: Joey
    Paul Roos Award - best finals player: Joey

JPK will get his second I reckon!

Goodes may sneak into the top 10

Jetta in top 10 - best season by a long way except for last few games

Veteran Site Admin
    I think it's one of the hardest BF top 10s to predict in ages. The top 2 are very hard to split. It will come down right to the end of the season, but I think Joey will just sneak home. Daylight will be next. The fact that, per the Brownlow medal count and AFLCA award we had two of the best five or so performed midfielders for the season, but they were miles ahead of the rest, explains why the whole season was so patchy. We didn't have enough consistent contributors.

The Swans' voting system penalises players quite heavily for missing games, so the rest of the top five is most likely to comprise players who played all 24 games, or close to it. I think Rampe and Mitchell are both strong chances for a top 5 finish, and McVeigh will finish higher than some on here will predict. I don't think Tippett was consistent enough to finish top 5 but I could well be wrong. He'll certainly end the season well.

My top 10, without much confidence

1 JPK
    2 Hanners
    3 Mitchell
    4 Rampe
    5 McVeigh
    6 Tippett
    7 Parker
    8 Jack
    9 Jetta
    10 Grundy

Rising Star - Heeney, quite clearly
    Most improved - Mitchell
    Paul Roos - JPK
    Players' player - could be either of Hanners or JPK.
    Clubman - impossible to predict

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it's one of the hardest BF top 10s to predict in ages. The top 2 are very hard to split. It will come down right to the end of the season, but I think Joey will just sneak home. Daylight will be next. The fact that, per the Brownlow medal count and AFLCA award we had two of the best five or so performed midfielders for the season, but they were miles ahead of the rest, explains why the whole season was so patchy. We didn't have enough consistent contributors.

The Swans' voting system penalises players quite heavily for missing games, so the rest of the top five is most likely to comprise players who played all 24 games, or close to it. I think Rampe and Mitchell are both strong chances for a top 5 finish, and McVeigh will finish higher than some on here will predict. I don't think Tippett was consistent enough to finish top 5 but I could well be wrong. He'll certainly end the season well.

My top 10, without much confidence

1 JPK
    2 Hanners
    3 Mitchell
    4 Rampe
    5 McVeigh
    6 Tippett
    7 Parker
    8 Jack
    9 Jetta
    10 Grundy

Rising Star - Heeney, quite clearly
    Most improved - Mitchell
    Paul Roos - JPK
    Players' player - could be either of Hanners or JPK.
    Clubman - impossible to predict
    I agree - the top two are very close. I went with Hanners over Joey for the Bob Skilton partly on the basis that he won the AFLCA award, and also I think he would have drawn more votes in his off games towards the end of the season than Joey would have during his slow start. I initially had Mitchell at 3 too, then I had a look at how many games he'd played - 19. Less than Jack (22) and the same as Parker.

Veteran Site Admin
    Fair point on Mitchell. For some reason I had in mind that he'd played every game, but that was laziness on my part. I didn't go back and check.

My recollection is that Kennedy started the season pretty well but hit a flat spot a month or so in (around baby time). Hanners did just edge him in the Coaches' association award but there was very little in it by the end. And this could be balanced by how strong Kennedy was in the finals, though I guess Hanners was pretty damn good in the Freo game too. I also factored in how much the coaches love Joey, judging by previous years' voting. They seem to reward the heavy lifting he does in close really strongly. One of the coaches (I can't remember which) commented in a post season review of Kennedy how he'd come away thinking he'd had a pretty good game, and then after watching the tapes, realised it had been even better. I wonder when the coaches lodge their votes for games - whether they do it immediately after the game, or post review.

1. Hanners
    2. Kennedy
    3. Grundy
    4. Rampe
    5. Jetta
    6. Tippett
    7. Parker
    8. Mitchell
    9. K.Jack
    10. McVeigh
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    I really hope Hanners wins - he deserves a Skilton - but Joey is going to come home like a freight train! Too close to call for mine..