Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: To challenge for the Flag in 2016....

Dogs game didnt stand up in finals

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Dogs game didnt stand up in finals
    Stood up better than ours, they only lost one final.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I agree with this. As Freo and Ross Lyon have shown, defense only is no longer the way to win Premierships, and Hawthorn have shown the opposite is now more relevant...
    I think what the Hawks have shown us is (their) defense is definitely underrated, but they have obviously got the balance right. What happened to the Eagles strong forward line? A team with Kennedy, Darling, LeCras, Hill and Cripps are definitely "built for attack" but the Hawks defence stopped them in their tracks.
    I don't think we need to change things too much apart from becoming better shots on goal.
    We used to be like the Hawks when it came to punishing turnovers but not recently. Maybe it is the lack of a skillful, rebounding defender, the lose of Malceski has hurt more than I thought it would. Rampe hasn't progressed as much as I had hoped. I really thought he would have become a better kick by now, his technique looks pretty good and he can kick 50-60m with ease.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    with a fully fit team (apart from Roughead) to choose from.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I think what the Hawks have shown us is (their) defense is definitely underrated, but they have obviously got the balance right. What happened to the Eagles strong forward line? A team with Kennedy, Darling, LeCras, Hill and Cripps are definitely "built for attack" but the Hawks defence stopped them in their tracks.
    I don't think we need to change things too much apart from becoming better shots on goal.
    We used to be like the Hawks when it came to punishing turnovers but not recently. Maybe it is the lack of a skillful, rebounding defender, the lose of Malceski has hurt more than I thought it would. Rampe hasn't progressed as much as I had hoped. I really thought he would have become a better kick by now, his technique looks pretty good and he can kick 50-60m with ease.
    I agree with this, especially the highlighted bit. And if we were better shots on goal it would carry over to our field kicking to a fair extent.

In fact I'd go so far as to say we - at full strength, kicking accurately and maintaining pressure - were really the only ones capable of stopping the Hawks.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

One thing that has worried me over the last 12 months or so is that we have periods where teams kick multiple goals against us.. I think GC kicked 6 unanswered in our last meeting. This didn't used to happen and shouldn't..Even the best teams didn't do that to us. We used to be able to play tempo footy and keepings off to starve the opposition and stifle their flow. I am not sure if it is an issue with our stoppages or is it a lack of on field leadership to say lets choke them now ?

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Yes and with a new system with just fair defence but working together

Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    One thing that has worried me over the last 12 months or so is that we have periods where teams kick multiple goals against us.. I think GC kicked 6 unanswered in our last meeting. This didn't used to happen and shouldn't..Even the best teams didn't do that to us. We used to be able to play tempo footy and keepings off to starve the opposition and stifle their flow. I am not sure if it is an issue with our stoppages or is it a lack of on field leadership to say lets choke them now ?
    I agree with this. Our forte was always our ability to stem the oppositions flow and momentum and bide our time for our turn. But this year that seemed to be go and we seemed to collapse in a heap for extended periods.

I'm going to try and revive this post with referencing that great BF article on List Management 101 but it also has a depth analysis on the second page

Strategy - List Management 101 Swans | BigFooty AFL Forum

Basically the assertion is you need 28 AFL Senior standard players and it is also ideal if 22+ have 50+ games

My assessment of our list at the end of next year is that we will have the following senior quality players with an * against those under 50 games (at end of next year)

Smith
    Ted
    Jones*
    Talia
    Reg
    Rampe
    Laidler
    K Jack
    Hanners
    Mitchell
    Buddy
    Reid
    Towers*
    Parker
    Lloyd
    Tippet
    McGlynn
    Heeney*
    Sinclair
    JPK
    McVeigh
    Harry
    Rohan

So, that's 23 with 20 over 50 games

Let's assume Mills slots straight into the seniors , which takes us to 24. And I'm going to assume we go for Adcock or a similarly experienced player in the PSD for quality depth which will take us to 25 and 21 over 50 games which is getting close on the second marker but well short on the magic number of 28.

So, where do we get the additional 3 players? Brandon Jack is close but not quite there yet and I'll back him in for 2016 and he could also give the 50 games a nudge with a breakout season. IF we get Dunks Jnr I can see him being a year off. Sam Naismith may be another and maybe Robbo, Rose and/or Hewett will just explode on the scene.

Taking Swansfan51's analysis I reckon we definitely need to recruit an experienced re-cycled player and we need a couple of players to really exceed expectations for us not to fall short next year.

2017 is a different story though. Assuming we only lose Reg and Ben at the end of next year, and assuming that BJ,Hewett and Dunks and one of Sam/Robbo/Rose make the step up and we are already at 27 players with potentially 23 over 5 games if BJ makes the step up. I can see us recruiting an experienced key defender to replace Ted at the end of next year (probably for our second round pick a la Henderson) which would take us to 28 seniors with 24 over 50 games

So, clearly not writing us off for 2016 but the stats say our list depth chart is a year off

Veteran Site Admin
    Why would we lose Reg at the end of next year. He's just signed a 3 year contract. And he's only 29 - not really on his last legs.

Did you mean Ted, instead?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Why would we lose Reg at the end of next year. He's just signed a 3 year contract. And he's only 29 - not really on his last legs.

Did you mean Ted, instead?
    Yes I did Liz, thanks for clarifying that...

I think to challenge for a flag we need to stop wasting the ball out of clearances. We got plenty last season but wasted most of them by kicking indiscriminately to the forward-line. Our mids tend to not lift the eyes before just bombing into the forward-line. The other thing is our passing was terrible. The worst of the mids were Benny, Kizza, Mitchell, Hannas and joey. They all get the ball a huge amount but their delivery is at best average. Occasionally you see an amazing pass that shows just how good they can be but not enough. We would have scored another 50-100 points if our mids could hit a target in the forward 50 regularly. We score over 75% of our total points from rebound footy. If you are winning the clearances and you still are scoring the majority of points from rebounds this tells me we have a skills problem in the mids.

To win a premiership we will have to address this problem immediately and put the mids on notice. They need to practice until they get it right and good to elite delivery is like it was natural.

Rumour has it Buddy coming back to pre-season in rude fitness, that would be a huge plus

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast