Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Trade period review

Veterans List
    First list lodgement Thursday 2pm.

Just had a thought, there are still picks in the late 50s/60s/early 70s that will disappear if clubs choose not to use them, clubs that have only a couple iof vacancies and two pointy end picks. As these picks disappear with each list lodgement, our later picks will move up the order thus giving us more points with which to play.

If by chance Mills did drift to say pick 6/7 then it's highly likely that we'll have useful live picks after Dunkley goes as well. Fascinating ND, so much is unknown right up to the time the picks are taken, can't wait!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    It would be mind bogglingly stupid if we had to delist as many players as picks we are going to use.

We should have 4 spots free. 1 for mills, one for dunkley and 2 spare if mills goes late and we can use a 40 something pick elsewhere.
    By my reckoning we have 35 on the list at present so that's five spare places. AJ retyained on the main list, Naismith has been flagged as an upgrade which happens late in the draft I think.

I skim read a thread on BF Brisbane site last night in which there was a similar discussion as ours in regard to picks v list vacancies. Someone who seemed to be knowledgable said that the ability to only take to the draft the same number of picks as list vacancies didn't apply where multiple picks were expected to be used for academy / FS bids. That is, the Ugg2 scenario. I think that must be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I skim read a thread on BF Brisbane site last night in which there was a similar discussion as ours in regard to picks v list vacancies. Someone who seemed to be knowledgable said that the ability to only take to the draft the same number of picks as list vacancies didn't apply where multiple picks were expected to be used for academy / FS bids. That is, the Ugg2 scenario. I think that must be right.
    If that is the case then I think it will be addressed and amended and rightly so.

There needs to be some reality to the new system - there is no problem at all moving your won picks back if you get rewarded for it, like we did from WCE. But for mine the points available to pay for Academy and F/S picks should be limited to the maximum number of players you could draft on Daft night (i.e. you number of live picks).

I don't see why you should be able to stickpile picks at the enmd of the draft that you are unable to ever use and still get these picks to pay for live picks. It encourages trading that are not arms length and where we are only trading to exploit a quirk

Just wild about Harry
    A crazy scenario, i know, but imagine you work for an afl club who was interested enough in Carlisle to do some due diligence and you find there is an incriminating video floating around. You don't say anything because you are not in the front running anyway. Then one day, bang! Two of your players hit the media for alleged rape and now your club is under seige. How can i take the heat off the club? Wait a moment - there is that video that should do it, but if we release it now and it is traced back to us then it looks worse because we are supposedly in the hunt for the player. I can only release it as soon as Carlisle signs his deal. Now the heat is on him and you can't find any reference to our troubles in the media at all. Crazy idea, eh?

Trade period review

Very surprised to read that Essendon have dropped Craig Bird down to the VFL team for this week's match. We might not have got much for Bird in trading him out but we did free up needed salary space. If his form really is as bad as this suggests (which I find really hard to believe in Essendon's team) then the deal is looking like a good one for the Swans. I feel for Craig though, a valued Swan most of his career with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Very surprised to read that Essendon have dropped Craig Bird down to the VFL team for this week's match. We might not have got much for Bird in trading him out but we did free up needed salary space. If his form really is as bad as this suggests (which I find really hard to believe in Essendon's team) then the deal is looking like a good one for the Swans. I feel for Craig though, a valued Swan most of his career with us.
    He wouldn't be anywhere near playing in that side last Saturday. He was a good servant and I'm glad he's got to get a final payday, you'd think he'd be good enough to play for the Bombers though.

On that scummy club, I can really see them going downhill fast. Then again what's the best Gill the Dill offers them a concessional draft pick getting numbers 1 and 2 in next year's draft? One must look after one's establishment clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Then again what's the best Gill the Dill offers them a concessional draft pick getting numbers 1 and 2 in next year's draft? One must look after one's establishment clubs
    Are you talking about priority pick or free agency compensation when they lose Heppell Hurley and Hooker?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678