Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vacant numbers

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Mmm, my initial response is that we think this a lot - Kel retires, then retire the 14, Luffy retires, retire the 34 etc etc. Pretty soon we'd be using a small font.

Goodes retires - I see that as different on the one hand (the others were very, very good, he is exceptional), but on the other hand maybe he'd like the number to go on, his locker still be used, to be part of a tradition that starts with Bert Lucas and goes through Adam's fantastic career and on for generations.

(why is Hilton Kotzur listed twice on the wiki).
    Yup I found it sad that despite the auspicious careers of Steve Hedley & Craig Davis in the number 60, no player has been deemed worthy to wear it at the senior level since. Abe Davis wore it for us in the NEAFL, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Happy for a died in the wool local like Mills to get 14.
    Would that be a moth sprayed with insecticide?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Would that be a moth sprayed with insecticide?
    That's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Can we set up a request to Swans that 37 be retired? Over to Andrew on twitter, back in a minute....
    You can't do that, you'd eventually end up with no numbers left if you did that for every great player.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    You can't do that, you'd eventually end up with no numbers left if you did that for every great player.
    I actually agree with this. It's a bit of a silly idea borrowed from American basketball. I don't mind giving numbers a rest for a while and giving numbers like 14 & 37 to special players, but retiring them for good is dumb.

Number 14 should be rotated and given to the player who wins the best and fairest the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Number 14 should be rotated and given to the player who wins the best and fairest the previous year.
    Didn't Richmond do that for a while with #17 going to the captain?

I think Trent Cotchin wanted to keep his # 9.

I would be surprised if Talia wanted his old number of 32. His move from the Dogs was not all that happy. If it was me I would pick anything else but 32.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I'd prefer for Mills to take number 2...he's going to be under enough pressure from being such a high draft pick as it is without being constantly compared to Paul Kelly should he be wearing the 14.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Senior Player
    I don't mind Mills getting the 14. 37 will almost definitely be retired for a year or two, like the 31 was

Pushing for Selection
    Looks like it has already happened. Seems he might want 32 after all (unless its a mistake)

Michael Talia - sydneyswans.com.au

Warming the Bench
    Given the history of 14 I would be offering it to Luke Parker, reminds me very much of Paul Kelly.
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast