Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: draft !

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Liz

Does that mean that if MILLS goes 1st pick, and we match it, then will still have to pick up 2 more players at pick 90 or somehting like that? Also only 1 rookie upgrade counts for the draft but can you do upgrade others and then count them, e.g. NEWMAN, on the senior list meaning only 2 picks with NAISMITH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    We can still add players from the PSD or delisted players.
    Yep, we can add players after the ND to reach the minimum list size, as Ampersand points out.

I believe we still have to make a minimum of three selections in the ND, of which Naismith can count as one but the other two have to be genuine draftees. That said, we could re-draft Marsh in the ND and he would count towards the two.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Whats the difference between a "depth player" and a "list clogger" ?
    I a depth player has a year left on his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I believe we still have to make a minimum of three selections in the ND, of which Naismith can count as one but the other two have to be genuine draftees. That said, we could re-draft Marsh in the ND and he would count towards the two.
    If we redraft Marsh in the ND does that mean he automatically gets the standard 2 year contract? Or does that apply only to first time players drafted?

Veteran Site Admin
    Dunno! He is allowed to stipulate terms, if he wishes. Not sure if he's allowed to state that he'll accept a one year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Yep, we can add players after the ND to reach the minimum list size, as Ampersand points out.

If we're going to take Adcock, he'll be picked up next week won't he? i.e. before the ND? Then we'll only need to take Mills, Dunkley and Naismith in the ND.

Article in the daily telegraph (subscribers only so can't access) DEMONS SET TO SPOIL BOMBERS PARTY talks about them taking the best midfielder for the 2nd year in a row (with pick 3 I think). Who are they talking about, surely not Mills as everyone knows we will take him no matter the cost. Does that mean they will not bid pick 3 for Mills. More information anyone.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Article in the daily telegraph (subscribers only so can't access) DEMONS SET TO SPOIL BOMBERS PARTY talks about them taking the best midfielder for the 2nd year in a row (with pick 3 I think). Who are they talking about, surely not Mills as everyone knows we will take him no matter the cost. Does that mean they will not bid pick 3 for Mills. More information anyone.
    Referring to Darcy Parish...he's the 2nd best mid in the draft after Mills, but he's the best available mid for Melbourne.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

So do you think Melb will still bid on Mills even though they have no hope of getting him and Parish is really the one they want?

Just wild about Harry
    So do you think Melb will still bid on Mills even though they have no hope of getting him and Parish is really the one they want?
    Yep - they wouldnt be doing their job if they didnt.

Makes sense. But if you have a high draft pick you'd want to make him feel special. That the club really wants him. To my simple mind bidding on someone you can't get then taking next best undermines this message. It may help the competition as a whole by keeping the Swans honest but it doesn't really help Melbourne per se.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Would be shocked if they didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    Makes sense. But if you have a high draft pick you'd want to make him feel special. That the club really wants him. To my simple mind bidding on someone you can't get then taking next best undermines this message. It may help the competition as a whole by keeping the Swans honest but it doesn't really help Melbourne per se.
    There's not really much difference between pick 3 and 4 anyway...I doubt a kid like Parish would be losing any sleep over it.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    My opinion is that the first 15-18 picks, or each clubs 1st pick, is important for the club and the player, but after that the importance wanes immediately. For Melbourne, with a poor history, to tell a player "your are good but we have find a better player however we will select you because we can't got the other player" or alternative "we want you and we think you are the best, but we have to bid for the other player first and make them match the bid". The problem of that is, and it doesnt have to be Mills it could be Hopper, isn't matched by the club and sorry Darcy we didn't select you as you are not the best".

I would like to see one of the Academy's, not match the bid, and see what happens, although I can't see it this year. THE VFL will change the rules if a NSW or Queensland Academy player wants to go home after the 1st year. " I hate Melbourne, I miss my mum, I hate the weather". I would like to see Collingwood select a Academy player and not matched and the player wants out after the 1st year, Eddie would explode on TV, and I would pay for that!!!

Pick #3 in the ND gets a bonus payment from the AFL of $5,000. Pick #4 gets a bonus payment of $2,500. See Schedule C section 2(g) of the CBA.

Darcy Parish was going to use the extra money to help pay for his Mum's liver transplant. I guess she won't make it now. Thanks Melbourne. Oh Well. That's life.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast