Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swans / Collingwood player movement over the years?

Swans / Collingwood player movement over the years?

[B]I was talking to a Collingwood supporter today and expressed my lament about how many pleyers they have pilfered off us over the years. As I was reeling them off they commented "you could fill a team with them!" ... I kept going ...

It got me thinking, what sort of a team has Collingwood "stolen" from us over the years?

Off the top of my head I came up with ...

B Tony Armstrong, Shane Morwood, Clinton King
    HB Billy Picken, Jesse White, Mark Kinnear *
    C Paul Licuria, Greg Smith, Mark Orchard
    HF Demott Brereton, Anthony Rocca, Paul Morwood
    F Paul Hawke, Graham Teasdale, David Young

Ru Darren Jolly
    RR Gerard Healy **
    Ro Barry Mitchell

I/C Peter Carter Jon Hummel

* traded, but didn�t play seniors
    ** drafted after retiring with injury, but didn�t sign with Collingwood

Then that got me thinking, maybe I was being too harsh. We have, after all, recruited a few from them ...

Paul Williams
    Nick Davis
    Andrew Schauble
    Len Thompson
    Billy Picken
    Mark Orchard
    Paul Hawke
    Gavin Rose
    Robbie Ahmat
    Robert Dean
    Craig Davis
    Andrew Smith
    Scott Russell
    Mattew Ryan
    Ben Wilson
    Kent Butcher *

Nope! They still pillaged our list far too much! Did I miss any? I only included players who went directly from one club to the next (et not Richard Osborne who got to Collingwood from us via the Dogs).

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    [B]I was talking to a Collingwood supporter today and expressed my lament about how many pleyers they have pilfered off us over the years. As I was reeling them off they commented "you could fill a team with them!" ... I kept going ...

It got me thinking, what sort of a team has Collingwood "stolen" from us over the years?

Off the top of my head I came up with ...

B Tony Armstrong, Shane Morwood, Clinton King
    HB Billy Picken, Jesse White, Mark Kinnear *
    C Paul Licuria, Greg Smith, Mark Orchard
    HF Demott Brereton, Anthony Rocca, Paul Morwood
    F Paul Hawke, Graham Teasdale, David Young

Ru Darren Jolly
    RR Gerard Healy **
    Ro Barry Mitchell

I/C Peter Carter Jon Hummel

* traded, but didn�t play seniors
    ** drafted after retiring with injury, but didn�t sign with Collingwood

Then that got me thinking, maybe I was being too harsh. We have, after all, recruited a few from them ...

Paul Williams
    Nick Davis
    Andrew Schauble
    Len Thompson
    Billy Picken
    Mark Orchard
    Paul Hawke
    Gavin Rose
    Robbie Ahmat
    Robert Dean
    Craig Davis
    Andrew Smith
    Scott Russell
    Mattew Ryan
    Ben Wilson
    Kent Butcher *

Nope! They still pillaged our list far too much! Did I miss any? I only included players who went directly from one club to the next (et not Richard Osborne who got to Collingwood from us via the Dogs).
    Rhys Shaw maybe !!!

Rhyce Shaw was a pretty good inwards trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Snap! must have been typing same time as above.

Veteran Site Admin
    I reckon we're ahead on contribution. Some of the earlier names (vintage wise) are a bit before my time (or right at the time I started following footy) but weren't most of them in the twilights of their careers? Of those who weren't, Rocca and Licuria were very good players for the Pies. Rocca was always going to leave though, whether to the Pies or somewhere else. Jolly provided them a couple of very valuable years' service at the end of his career.

But look at what we have had in return. Williams and Schauble won three best and fairests between them and were instrumental in the 2005 premiership, even if, sadly, Schaubs didn't get to play. He was certainly valuable in the development of the team that did. Davis we all know about. Shaw's been good value, and was a worthy contributor to the 2012 premiership. I think I'd take our group of pillagees over theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Swan View Post
    Rhys Shaw maybe !!!
    I was going so well until that glaring omission!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I reckon we're ahead on contribution. Some of the earlier names (vintage wise) are a bit before my time (or right at the time I started following footy) but weren't most of them in the twilights of their careers? Of those who weren't, Rocca and Licuria were very good players for the Pies. Rocca was always going to leave though, whether to the Pies or somewhere else. Jolly provided them a couple of very valuable years' service at the end of his career.

But look at what we have had in return. Williams and Schauble won three best and fairests between them and were instrumental in the 2005 premiership, even if, sadly, Schaubs didn't get to play. He was certainly valuable in the development of the team that did. Davis we all know about. Shaw's been good value, and was a worthy contributor to the 2012 premiership. I think I'd take our group of pillagees over theirs.
    Well, Teaser and Heals both won Brownlows with us before Collingwood went after them. Healy was retired because of a severe wrist injury but Collingwood thought they could get a bit more out of him - Healy was smarter than that! Greg Smith, S.Morwood & Mitchell were Vic Reps, so the Pies stole quality - Mitch didn't play well for the Pies, but proceeded to play some good footy for the Blues, so no twilight there. Dermie was a has been Champ (so he negates Len Thompson who had won a Brownlow before we got him). King played solid footy in his first (injury interrupted) year at the Pies missed 8 games but still finished top 10 in their Copeland Trophy. Orchard played over 40 games in just 2 seasons for us & had a top 10 B&F finish before the Pies nabbed him (back). Jesse White ... is tall. Paul Hawke was good when the Pies stole him. 2nd in their B&F in his 2nd season with them. They gave Hawke back when he was past his used by date. & Rocca & Licuria were champions of Collingwood. Licuria won their B&F twice & Rocca lead their goal kicking 4 times (& in his first 3 years after joining the Pies, he his to compete with his brother, Sav, who topped their goal kicking those years). Nope, I think they did ok.
    Last edited by goswannies; 27th October 2015 at 12:41 AM.

As much as I dislike The Pies (maybe more Eddie than the players) I think they have proven to be pretty fair traders in the past.
    Don't know if that will continue though.

Jessie White is Eddie's punishment. Does he count?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I think we're ahead over time but it certainly is a long list in both directions!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Have been watching some games from 2010 during the off season and the quote above is so true. In that season he played forward quite a bit and kicked a few goals, then after that went more into defence, and now is coaching. Turned out to be a very good pickup for us, don't you think?

Just adding to the chat. GM (?) Andrew Ireland, and recruiting maestro Kinnear Beatson were ruckman at Collingwood albeit different eras. We did well out of those hires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast